What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (86 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Replaced radiator, blue fan clutch, two calipers (one front, one rear, rotors, brake booster, and brake master cylinder. Also upgraded to steel braided brake lines from IPOR. Will post pics when I take them. A lot of work but brakes were soupy and my foot nearly went through the firewall a few times last week. Decided to upgrade lines since the rubber OEM hoses were one of the weak spots

20171001_230032.jpg

Sunrise on the Delaware River this AM...

Sunrise on the Delaware River this AM.jpg

Replaced radiator, blue fan clutch, two calipers (one front, one rear, rotors, brake booster, and brake master cylinder. Also upgraded to steel braided brake lines from IPOR. Will post pics when I take them. A lot of work but brakes were soupy and my foot nearly went through the firewall a few times last week. Decided to upgrade lines since the rubber OEM hoses were one of the weak spots

View attachment 1549560

What radiator did you get and where? I need to get one soon and am looking at options.

Thanks!

So over the last few months I've gone back and forth with if I could ever bring myself to post this...

I've been spending a few hours here, a few hours there trying to remember all the "Mods" I've done on my rig since I bought it in 2003. 14yrs is a LONG TIME.

Back then I wasn't as smart as Jose in his documentation and build thread over the years. And so now I'm faced with sitting in the garage and staring endlessly at the rig to recall all the things I've done in the last 14 or so years of ownership... That in and of itself is an emotional ride as i lay beneath the beast.

I'm currently on page 4 of my excel file, where I hope to link all the mods and $$$

To this end, and this is where it gets painful... I'm considering passing the torch onto someone else :-( See I always since day one had a vision of what this truck would be. Several others have been there and done it ahead of me and lapped me. Diesel, 40's, 3link.... blah blah blah.

Perhaps it was when I turned another year older and stepped into my (mid life) this year and had to come to terms with reality. And the cold hard fact that we as a family, and I as a man with seemingly more and more responsibilities with each day just don't use the rig the way it was built to be used. And might not ever.

I'm ashamed to say most of the last two years the rig has sat in the garage on a battery tender, and that breaks my heart ever time I open the garage door.

And so I'm left with a decision. One that some might relate to and or know all to well.

While I fully realize and expect to get a fraction back from what I've put into the rig, its a rough call to make both financial and emotionally.

All that said, I suppose I just needed a "mud shoulder" to cry on... If anyone is looking for one heck of a build platform stay tuned. I might have just what you need.

-A

So over the last few months I've gone back and forth with if I could ever bring myself to post this...

I've been spending a few hours here, a few hours there trying to remember all the "Mods" I've done on my rig since I bought it in 2003. 14yrs is a LONG TIME.

Back then I wasn't as smart as Jose in his documentation and build thread over the years. And so now I'm faced with sitting in the garage and staring endlessly at the rig to recall all the things I've done in the last 14 or so years of ownership... That in and of itself is an emotional ride as i lay beneath the beast.

I'm currently on page 4 of my excel file, where I hope to link all the mods and $$$

To this end, and this is where it gets painful... I'm considering passing the torch onto someone else :-( See I always since day one had a vision of what this truck would be. Several others have been there and done it ahead of me and lapped me. Diesel, 40's, 3link.... blah blah blah.

Perhaps it was when I turned another year older and stepped into my (mid life) this year and had to come to terms with reality. And the cold hard fact that we as a family, and I as a man with seemingly more and more responsibilities with each day just don't use the rig the way it was built to be used. And might not ever.

I'm ashamed to say most of the last two years the rig has sat in the garage on a battery tender, and that breaks my heart ever time I open the garage door.

And so I'm left with a decision. One that some might relate to and or know all to well.

While I fully realize and expect to get a fraction back from what I've put into the rig, its a rough call to make both financial and emotionally.

All that said, I suppose I just needed a "mud shoulder" to cry on... If anyone is looking for one heck of a build platform stay tuned. I might have just what you need.

-A

At the risk of being insensitive:

WWAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

Throw the whole family in it and go drive the fire roads or just drive to the mall and pose!

Keep it and let it sit! I did that with my Studebaker until my family grew up enough to appreciate it. I had to listen to my wife bitch at me for 23 years to do something with it or sell it and "Why is that piece of junk in here?"

Now there is nothing I like more than to take it on a LONG drive by MYSELF and a good cigar, just to cruise.........

-A

No.

I assume you are asking whether or not you should sell it. You will regret it when she's gone.

-A
I honestly feel for ya, as I am in similar boat and thoughts.

IMG_0302.JPG
IMG_0347.JPG
IMG_0353.JPG
At the risk of being insensitive:

WWAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

Throw the whole family in it and go drive the fire roads or just drive to the mall and pose!

Keep it and let it sit! I did that with my Studebaker until my family grew up enough to appreciate it. I had to listen to my wife bitch at me for 23 years to do something with it or sell it and "Why is that piece of junk in here?"

Now there is nothing I like more than to take it on a LONG drive by MYSELF and a good cigar, just to cruise.........

That's sorta the boat I've been in over the last few years... but it seems silly to just let it sit on brand new 37" Pitbull Rockers in a garage. Not for nothing but this is a pretty solid specific purposed built rig. Not exactly something you roll to the mall in at my age that might get me the wrong type of attention ;-p

No.

I assume you are asking whether or not you should sell it. You will regret it when she's gone.

Zero doubt in what you say will and could be 100% true and accurate.

I honestly feel for ya, as I am in similar boat and thoughts.

Such are life decisions sometimes.... just so hard to fathom after 14yrs not to have her anymore. If It does come to that I can only hope it goes to a good "Mud" home and to someone who can truly understand what exactly they are getting.

Just a few pics cause everyone likes pics.

-A

Took roof rack off.. now I gotta close up the holes for mean while. So the headliner had to come off. Its filthy, I am thinking maybe replace or recover .. has anyone made a custom one?
20171005_133128.jpg

20171005_133149.jpg

For the mean time I will ride around without it. Now I have room to run cables and stuff to the back!

Well @AMMO you gotta do what you gotta do.

I can say that my 92 was originally a DD. Then I lifted it 4" and put 35s on it and it became more of an adventure rig. Then I had kids and I got rid of the lift and 35s and returned her basically to stock. I couldn't bear to get rid of her.

I will always say a thank you for reminding me that I didn't put my 93 on a battery mender before I left on vacation. I called home and my wife hooked it up for me!

-A
What would you replace it with? Thought about selling mine a couple years ago. That thought ended with a trip to multiple dealerships looking at brand new trucks. They all seem to be a genuine compromise for one reason or another...typically in the capability,reliability,or cool factor department.

-A

I'll give you $500 for it. :flipoff2:

Last edited:
IMG_0643.JPG
What would you replace it with? Thought about selling mine a couple years ago. That thought ended with a trip to multiple dealerships looking at brand new trucks. They all seem to be a genuine compromise for one reason or another...typically in the capability,reliability,or cool factor department.

That's just it, I prob wouldn't ever replace it. My DD is a 2014 Trail 4Runner that sees daily use plus weekend family get away use...

The 80 has been a dedicated wheeler for the last 3+ years and we just for one reason or another haven't been doing those types of adventures that the 4Runner couldn't handle.

View attachment 1549653

That's just it, I prob wouldn't ever replace it. My DD is a 2014 Trail 4Runner that sees daily use plus weekend family get away use...

The 80 has been a dedicated wheeler for the last 3+ years and we just for one reason or another haven't been doing those types of adventures that the 4Runner couldn't handle.

Just understand that you WILL regret it. If you've come to terms with that and you're ok with it, then it might be time. But if it were me, I know there will be a time when your kids are older, and you want to take them wheeling, show them the ropes and take them on an adventure they'll remember for the rest of their lives; and you will have no thoughts but what could have been...

Good luck with whatever you do. Cruisers mean something. That said, I'm just some sentimental guy on the other side of the country who you'll never meet.

Perhaps it was when I turned another year older and stepped into my (mid life) this year and had to come to terms with reality. And the cold hard fact that we as a family, and I as a man with seemingly more and more responsibilities with each day just don't use the rig the way it was built to be used. And might not ever.-A

I condensed your post but this was the part that resonated with me. "Ever" is a long time to predict what the future holds.

I had a built Tacoma as I entered married life and started a family. I was heavily involved with TTORA and that Taco had taken me through most of the lower 48 and was a blast to take to Moab. As a family vehicle, however, it was not sensible. I was in your position and I made the practical decision and sold it. I have regretted it ever since. I drove a "sensible" Mazda 626 for several years but really missed the truck that I had invested blood, sweat, and tears into.

Sometimes a vehicle is more than just a pile of bolts, parts, and systems. For me, working on it is my release from the pressures of those very responsibilities you are referring to. Life. Additionally, the social interaction I get from being part of the MUD community brings me a chuckle, laugh, mechanical inspiration, or a newly learned skill nearly every time I visit. Aside from the actual vehicle, for me there is a tremendous mental health benefit to being part of something larger than myself.

I am now on the far side of middle age and am slowly finding more time to resume the passion of tinkering with Toyota's that I grew up with. During the intervening years, even though I was responsible, I sorely missed having a project vehicle to work on.

If you can financially afford to keep it in the family, my advice would be to keep the truck and wait until life's circumstances evolve to where you can use it again. You won't regret it :).

Last edited:

-A

I have regretted every decent vehicle that I have sold. I am one of the lucky ones that has a wife that never wants me to sell a vehicle no matter what. Drain the fluids that need draining, cover it and forget about for a year or two. You will want it again. And what is this nonsense about having to have some offroad adventure in order to drive it? You have kids! Ask them which one they wanna go in.

35FFE572-DB8D-4B33-8C1D-468E5CF9CADC.jpeg
4A33BF3B-A8ED-47CE-85DE-1CE01F499004.jpeg
Spent many monies on some new rubber today. It’s about the only time I let someone else get near her with a wrench.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom