What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (64 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If that isn't enough for you, how about this:

My now 19 year old daughter and I are half way in to our two week vacation together. We started out in Iceland last Saturday. We were there for four days. Saw hundreds of Land Cruisers. After the first day she started pointing them out "Dad, there's an 80! Dad, there's a 100! Dad, there's a 150! Dad, check out the 70 series!" Three days of her pointing out Land Cruisers. She would even mock the IFS Land Cruisers for not being solid axle! I mean, seriously, I don't know if I've ever been more proud!

We left for Paris and have been here for 3 days. We leave for Amsterdam in the morning. Tonight she said "We didn't see a single Land Cruiser in Paris! The French are lame!"

We were discussing what we liked about Iceland and Paris. Weighing the pros and cons. She said, "Iceland is expensive! But more relaxing and chill. More like a vacation than Paris. Plus there are Land Cruisers everywhere so you know the people are smart!"

I know it is "just a car" to most people but her whole life there has been a Land Cruiser (or 3-4) around. She was brought home in a Land Cruiser. She learned to drive in a Land Cruiser. She's been on countless vacations in LC (the name she gave my 92 when she was 2-3 years old).

I could go on and on and on.

If you don't need the money don't sell it. You will regret it.

Besides, you don't want to let your daughter down! :cry:

Classic!! Not only are the French cowards, but they don’t even know enough to drive the BEST vehicles ever produced! Sounds like your wife, and you, have done an awesome job raising a very intelligent young lady..... congrats!!

So over the last few months I've gone back and forth with if I could ever bring myself to post this...

I've been spending a few hours here, a few hours there trying to remember all the "Mods" I've done on my rig since I bought it in 2003. 14yrs is a LONG TIME.

Back then I wasn't as smart as Jose in his documentation and build thread over the years. And so now I'm faced with sitting in the garage and staring endlessly at the rig to recall all the things I've done in the last 14 or so years of ownership... That in and of itself is an emotional ride as i lay beneath the beast.

I'm currently on page 4 of my excel file, where I hope to link all the mods and $$$

To this end, and this is where it gets painful... I'm considering passing the torch onto someone else :-( See I always since day one had a vision of what this truck would be. Several others have been there and done it ahead of me and lapped me. Diesel, 40's, 3link.... blah blah blah.

Perhaps it was when I turned another year older and stepped into my (mid life) this year and had to come to terms with reality. And the cold hard fact that we as a family, and I as a man with seemingly more and more responsibilities with each day just don't use the rig the way it was built to be used. And might not ever.

I'm ashamed to say most of the last two years the rig has sat in the garage on a battery tender, and that breaks my heart ever time I open the garage door.

And so I'm left with a decision. One that some might relate to and or know all to well.

While I fully realize and expect to get a fraction back from what I've put into the rig, its a rough call to make both financial and emotionally.

All that said, I suppose I just needed a "mud shoulder" to cry on... If anyone is looking for one heck of a build platform stay tuned. I might have just what you need.

-A

Bro, I haven't been around here that long, and certainly don't have the $$ in my Cruiser that you do. However, I made the mistake of selling the first vehicle I ever purchased, a 95 22re pickup. I sold it to a Cruiser head, who took moderate care of it. But no matter what he fixed, improved, or broke, I know he never loved that rig the way I did/do. Good news for me is that I was able to buy it back a month ago. It's old, rusted, bald tires, stinks, my wife hates it BUT I appreciate the memories it has given us. I'll fix, rebuild, and get her back to being the yard hauler, hunting truck in no time.

In short, no one will appreciate your rig like you do. A new owner won't put in the sweat equity, calloused hands and busted knuckles and won't have the same smile across his/her face every time they open their garage and look at YOUR RIG. As others have said, KEEP IT.

So over the last few months I've gone back and forth with if I could ever bring myself to post this...

I've been spending a few hours here, a few hours there trying to remember all the "Mods" I've done on my rig since I bought it in 2003. 14yrs is a LONG TIME.

Back then I wasn't as smart as Jose in his documentation and build thread over the years. And so now I'm faced with sitting in the garage and staring endlessly at the rig to recall all the things I've done in the last 14 or so years of ownership... That in and of itself is an emotional ride as i lay beneath the beast.

I'm currently on page 4 of my excel file, where I hope to link all the mods and $$$

To this end, and this is where it gets painful... I'm considering passing the torch onto someone else :-( See I always since day one had a vision of what this truck would be. Several others have been there and done it ahead of me and lapped me. Diesel, 40's, 3link.... blah blah blah.

Perhaps it was when I turned another year older and stepped into my (mid life) this year and had to come to terms with reality. And the cold hard fact that we as a family, and I as a man with seemingly more and more responsibilities with each day just don't use the rig the way it was built to be used. And might not ever.

I'm ashamed to say most of the last two years the rig has sat in the garage on a battery tender, and that breaks my heart ever time I open the garage door.

And so I'm left with a decision. One that some might relate to and or know all to well.

While I fully realize and expect to get a fraction back from what I've put into the rig, its a rough call to make both financial and emotionally.

All that said, I suppose I just needed a "mud shoulder" to cry on... If anyone is looking for one heck of a build platform stay tuned. I might have just what you need.

-A
Talk to either Dallas, Jessie, or Josiah. You know which shops. Send me a PM if you have questions

D is my brother.

Last edited:
I live in Lakewood, the west side of Cleveland. I am slowly getting closer to having a Cruiser I can drive like it's meant to be driven. Perhaps sometime you show me how to do so in Ohio? I have sliders, a rear locker and a motor to get under it then it's firggen time to rock.
Go Tribe!!

Lakewood! We’re unloading our moving truck this morning. We should grab coffee sometime.

Lakewood! We’re unloading our moving truck this morning. We should grab coffee sometime.
Unloading moving truck! Wow, small world.
I work away from home and am sailing for another 3 1/2 weeks. I'd like to have a coffee for sure. I'll be in touch. Welcome to Lakewood! I

First job of the day complete. Re did all the pipe work on my OBA. Looks a hellova lot tidier.
20171007_101917.jpg

Unloading moving truck! Wow, small world.
I work away from home and am sailing for another 3 1/2 weeks. I'd like to have a coffee for sure. I'll be in touch. Welcome to Lakewood! I
Ooooh sailing!! I’m an avid sailor as well. Have been looking for some sailing connections up on Lake Erie. I’m down in Columbus

Last edited:

-A
I will be the contrarian here but sometimes it makes sense to let go of idols. Family comes first.

I saw a sister truck to that red one
View attachment 1550577
While sight seeing in Amsterdam

My daughter and I got to Amsterdam today. We will be on the lookout for Land Cruisers. So far we haven't seen any. We've seen a bunch of Defender 90s and 110s.

Fun fact: I need to order parts brake rotors to have my buddy install them before I get back from vacation. I am in Amsterdam and it won't let me access US ebay, US NAPA, or US Amazon...

ugh...

You in the Netherlands for long? Need suggestions? I’ve spent a LOT of time there.

Four days. I'll text you. Thanks.

You might mean dike.

No...

Dutch legend has it that there was once a small boy who upon passing a dyke on his way to school noticed a slight leak as the sea trickled in through a small hole. Knowing that he would be in trouble if he were to be late for school, the boy pocked his finger into the hole and so stemmed the flow of water. Some time later a passerby saw him and went to get help. This came in the form of other men who were able to effect repairs on the dyke and seal up the leak.

Little Dutch Boy, The

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom