What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (17 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Took the ham radio test, Saturday, and installed my radio Sunday. Got my call sign today KM6HKJ :beer:
1182043-5995ef6644543b91182f6a07942e3fb5.jpg
1182044-36492943b6fa19d90b08c9dce3816724.jpg

View attachment 1377539

View attachment 1377540
Congrats on your new call sign and getting your rig installed.

Damn! That was fast. Took what seemed like forever to get my call sign.
The FCC is fast now. It took almost 4 weeks for mine to come in. Now I've seen them respond withing 4 days of me submitting the testing paperwork.

The FCC is fast now. It took almost 4 weeks for mine to come in. Now I've seen them respond withing 4 days of me submitting the testing paperwork.
That is good to hear. :)

View attachment 1377536 View attachment 1377528 View attachment 1377529 My rig got a name.
Indy. Aka Dr Jones.

We took the dudes skiing for the first time. Threw them in a snocat. Sledded. That was a blast!

The Toyo open county HTs were great.

I hooned Indy in a snowy parking lot to practice my 6500lbs version of the Scandinavian Flick. Not quite the same as in a wrx. But fun.

No issues with the AC Delco cc at 8500 feet.

New 9011 bulbs = worth every penny.

Got dumped on on i80 on the way home for 6hrs.

Added many things to the punch list.
1) better wipers. That don't freeze up Bosch icons maybe.
2) usb power to the rear for the kids
3) cup holders.
4) seats. Holy mother of Claus. My seats suck the life out of me.
5) gotta trace the fault in the rear de-frogger
6) replace ant. Mast. And find a new head unit for the stereo. Tho, my Bluetooth Jambox work very well as an aux stereo.
7) weather tech mats.

1) I run the Duralast Winter blades. I ran them through snow on I80 coming back from Flaming Gorge. No ice build up and cleaned the glass well. I've run the Bosch Icons. Wasn't impressed for the money. They work well on my Camry but not on the 80s.

3) Try to find some 91-92 manual seats. I'm putting my spare set in my 93. I was hoping to have them in before my 4400+ mile trip. I didn't. I wish I had.

My wife requested we spend New Years Eve alone and winter camping (!) and wanted to go fishing the next day (!!!) so I obliged and she was totally cool with it, right up until she had to pee at 4am when the temperature was bottoming out. Given that she can't just pee out the side of the rooftop tent like I can, she ended up waiting it out until after the sun came up, at which point I volunteered to get her coffee and breakfast made, and get all her fishing stuff thawed out in the cab of the truck so she could retain body warmth.

This is a subtle visual hint that indeed, she was over it for a while there. But she rebounded well and we welcomed the New Year with the company of some feisty trout rather than any other humans.
FullSizeRender-8.jpg

Got it back from 4.88 and 3:1 low range install. Great job done by Mount Zion Offroad in Dover, PA. Spent today prepping and painting the undercarriage. Tomorrow some more rust proofing and installing USB port and interior LED lights.

My wife requested we spend New Years Eve alone and winter camping (!) and wanted to go fishing the next day (!!!) so I obliged and she was totally cool with it, right up until she had to pee at 4am when the temperature was bottoming out. Given that she can't just pee out the side of the rooftop tent like I can, she ended up waiting it out until after the sun came up, at which point I volunteered to get her coffee and breakfast made, and get all her fishing stuff thawed out in the cab of the truck so she could retain body warmth.

This is a subtle visual hint that indeed, she was over it for a while there. But she rebounded well and we welcomed the New Year with the company of some feisty trout rather than any other humans. View attachment 1377592

It doesn't completely solve the problem, but it makes it far more convenient. More likely to go on the next trip. And the next one.

20160702_074157.jpg

Fixed what I had broke.... that I had already fixed and rebroke.

(Freakin seat gears... Slee should hire me for all seat repairs including re-leathering, heated seats, gears, etc... I feel like a master-tech )

Did I mention it's a balmy 6 degrees.

IMG_6805.JPG

Installed a wheelskin. Was inspired by a few posts on here. Love it.. It's not 100% color matched, but it's a lot better in real life. It feels great too. And it was enjoyable to install. Was finished before opening a beer!

Definitely a recommended product...
20170105_201103.jpg

Last edited:
1) I run the Duralast Winter blades. I ran them through snow on I80 coming back from Flaming Gorge. No ice build up and cleaned the glass well. I've run the Bosch Icons. Wasn't impressed for the money. They work well on my Camry but not on the 80s.

3) Try to find some 91-92 manual seats. I'm putting my spare set in my 93. I was hoping to have them in before my 4400+ mile trip. I didn't. I wish I had.

You or anyone know what the weight difference is between the electric leather seats and the manual cloth seats?

You or anyone know what the weight difference is between the electric leather seats and the manual cloth seats?

I don't but I can measure them when I do the install. My guess is it's about 15-20 lbs difference per chair.

Which organization/club did you take the test with? I have tried twice to take the test but they cancel it.
Ian,

I took mine with the Palomar Amateur Radio Club in Escondido.
www.palomararc.org

SDsixshooters might have something closer.

-Harley

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom