Builds El See 1996 FZJ80 build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
forum.ih8mud.com
With a lot of arm twisting from my wife I have agreed to replace my 1996 Bronco with a 1996 LC. Our goal is to explore back country roads greater than 30 miles from our house. Here they are side by side, red pill vs blue pill.

The LC has factory front and rear lockers, 3" OME lift (j-springs and L shocks) with Man-A-Fre caster kit, custom roof rack built by previous owner, 182K miles, 285/75 R16 tires, and wet okole seat covers. We've had the new rig about a month now and my wife has only seen pictures of it as she is out of the country on vacation. I've been busy doing upgrades which I will document here. I am doing many of them at the same time so the order of posting may not be the order of completion. The goal of this build is overlanding for myself, wife and our two dogs. I am trying to maintain the stock look whenever possible while increasing function. I've been lurking on the forums since the day before I bought the rig and love this community. I've learned a lot from all the postings and hope to contribute back to it. While this is far from my first build it is my first non Ford build.

The first upgrade is a new DD Android 5.1 stereo with backup camera. It required some trimming on the top and bottom of the dash cover panel.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FU4VNGK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s04?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Speaker and amp upgrade. The 20 year old factory speakers are shot! My goal is to have great sound while maintaining a stock look. I knew this would be a challenge with the stock speaker sizes. The FatMat sound deadening made a huge improvement in sound quality and volume.
New front speakers Polk DB522 shallow mount 5 1/4"
New rear speakers Polk DB402 4"
Kenwood KAC-M3004 4 channel amp driving door Polk door speakers
New sub Pyle 6" sub with custom built enclosure
All doors sealed with FatMat 80mil sound deadening

Last edited:
Sub install with sound level recording. All sound recordings were made with the same volume settings and the same song and flat EQ settings. I used advanced spectrum analyzer on my phone with a Heil media pro microphone mounted between the front two seats at shoulder level. The top yellow graph is the peak level over the entire lengh of a single song. Notice the low end levels change increase with sound deadening vs none. The 4 door speakers are being driven by a Kenwood KAC-M3004 4 channel amp and a HPF set at 100hz.

Volume level was adjusted down two units for final measurement.

Last edited:
I would keep both. Im a 80 guy but I would love an old bronco like that.

I'd love to but between us we have four 4x4's now and we need to downsize. I'm giving up my Bronco and my wife is giving up her 4wd Navigator.

Ham radio speaker and ODBII bluetooth install. The Motorola 4" external speaker fits without modification in the factory speaker location on the drivers side. Not shown is the body of a Yaesu FTM-350 mounted behind the passenger front speaker panel where the factory radio amp was located. I removed the two retaining screws for the ODBII connector and rotated it 90 deg with the adapter installed. I used a small piece of velcro to hold it in place. Now the fuse cover will close and hide it all.

Have you advertised either of your other vehicles anywhere yet? My wife has been looking for a Navigator for a while and what reasonable man doesn't love a 90's Bronco

Have you advertised either of your other vehicles anywhere yet? My wife has been looking for a Navigator for a while and what reasonable man doesn't love a 90's Bronco
Not yet, I just finished removing our ham stuff from it. It's a 2004 black fully loaded except power foot boards with 116K miles and seats 8. One of the last years with transfer case and 4 low.

i like build threads like this. sub'd

Stripped out the seats and carpet for cleaning and new floor insulation.
full

Cleaned out the beer bottle top and cough drops. Ewww
full

Didn't find much treasure. 59 cents and three tokens.
full

looking good. how much of whatever that is have you used?

looking good. how much of whatever that is have you used?
For the floor I got a 4' x 17' roll of sound deadener & heat barrier. I still have 33" left on the roll. In reality the 4' x 14.5' roll would have been all I needed. It's very light weight, the entire roll was under 5 lbs.
Floor insulation

For the doors and sides I used 50 sqft x 80 mill FatMat with only a 4" x 4" piece left. In reality I will use it also. This isn't very thick but it is very heavy. The entire roll was 25 pounds.
Door insulation

Before I reinstall the freshly shampooed carpets I need to finish some of the wiring upgrades. Here are some of the electrical upgrade components.

full

Ham radio speaker and ODBII bluetooth install. The Motorola 4" external speaker fits without modification in the factory speaker location on the drivers side. Not shown is the body of a Yaesu FTM-350 mounted behind the passenger front speaker panel where the factory radio amp was located. I removed the two retaining screws for the ODBII connector and rotated it 90 deg with the adapter installed. I used a small piece of velcro to hold it in place. Now the fuse cover will close and hide it all.

Which model Motorola speaker did you use for the ham radio? Link?

Please post pics of how/where you installed the ham radio. thanks!

Here is a picture of the motorola ext speaker I used for the dash. Midland makes a version and I'm sure MFJ makes one as well. It's basically a full range shallow 4" speaker. I picked this one up at a ham fair for $2. The full writeup of the ham install is coming. Right now it is still early in the setup and testing phase.

full

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom