What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend?

Agreed; nice rack too!

Thanks, the rack is the key for this “RTT” setup, the rack needs to be sturdy enough to walk on. The tent really couldn’t fit better, it’s literally edge to edge length wise. It is wide enough for me and still lots of room left on the rack to walk and get in and out of the tent. Looking at the picture I just realized I need to move my rotorpax mount.
2CDA5989-2503-4A56-8D8D-6B189CB80856.jpeg

Some product development. Since the install of my HD Whiteline rear swaybar I have been eating the bushings in the swaybar links. With bushings you get too much give before the bar starts to work IMO and wanted to eliminate that also.

Started with this and it looked like it may work.

View attachment 1948640

No problem with the articulation.

View attachment 1948646

Totally killed the set up in one short weekend of wheeling. :wtf: On to plan B

View attachment 1948647

Much stronger, makes for a tight set up and more adjust ability to work with other set ups. Not sure with joints giving only 23° of movement will make the cut. So far liking the set up on to some more real world testing.
Are those the same lower arms as this thread or have you since found that amount of sleeving to be insufficient and beefed them more?

Last edited:
Went back to the shop that did my front wheel alignment because the steering wheel was off to the left a bit...now it's off to the right!!! :bang:
I did a bit of searching but is there a way (not taking the steering wheel off) to get the wheel exactly straight while not messing with the alignment? ALA (dare to say) like how a Jeep does it? :confused::oops::censor: Checked my service manual as well.

Went back to the shop that did my front wheel alignment because the steering wheel was off to the left a bit...now it's off to the right!!! :bang:
I did a bit of searching but is there a way (not taking the steering wheel off) to get the wheel exactly straight while not messing with the alignment? ALA (dare to say) like how a Jeep does it? :confused::oops::censor: Checked my service manual as well.
Adjust the drag link. Alignment shops are pretty useless with a solid axle vehicle.

The drag link runs from the pitman arm (on the steering box), to the PS steering arm, on the front side of the axle. There are two clamps on each end, holding the drag link from rotating, captured by a bolt/nut which are both a 17mm. Loosen them to the point the drag link can rotate. Longer will move the steering wheel to driver (left), shorter will move it to passenger (right).

Usually I leave the clamp loose, maybe hand tighten, then take it for a test drive or two, figure out where I want it, then go from that. The wheel will move a lot from a full rotation of the rod, so it’s best to do small, incremental adjustments until it is where you want it.

Or stop caring. Mine has been off for months. Seems every time I get it just right, I bend the drag link and have to replace or straighten it, starting the process over.

Adjust the drag link. Alignment shops are pretty useless with a solid axle vehicle.

The drag link runs from the pitman arm (on the steering box), to the PS steering arm, on the front side of the axle. There are two clamps on each end, holding the drag link from rotating, captured by a bolt/nut which are both a 17mm. Loosen them to the point the drag link can rotate. Longer will move the steering wheel to driver (left), shorter will move it to passenger (right).

Usually I leave the clamp loose, maybe hand tighten, then take it for a test drive or two, figure out where I want it, then go from that. The wheel will move a lot from a full rotation of the rod, so it’s best to do small, incremental adjustments until it is where you want it.

Or stop caring. Mine has been off for months. Seems every time I get it just right, I bend the drag link and have to replace or straighten it, starting the process over.
Thanks!!! thought it might be something like that. Good advice and I agree no more going to the 'normal' alignment shops for me.

musthave

It's a cruiser thing
Supporting Vendor
YMMV, but when I had this problem I just popped off the steering wheel and moved it one spline to the right or left. I don’t know if it’s recommended but it’s only 1 spline and 1/2 :banana:

Last weekend I finally got to take the 450 out into the woods for Mardi-Krawl in NW Alabama. Very sloppy couple of days of trail riding and I had to winch out once. But I am seriously considering now whether I really need a rear locker or not. It performed much better in the slick and muddy conditions than I expected it to and I'm not a super crazy wheeler anyway. And now I can start installing parts I have been gathering for the last 2 months (Roof rack, flares, drawer system).
winching.jpg
80 herd.JPG
stuck.jpg

Last edited:

Bryanseye

Inaffective Grammer Nazi
SILVER Star
Between pit of man's fears and summit of knowledge
Recent write up. Centering Steering Wheel

Works for Jeeps too. :flush:

Last weekend I finally got to take the 450 out into the woods for Mardi-Krawl in NW Alabama. Very sloppy couple of days of traill riding and I had to winch out once. But I am seriously considering now whether I really need a rear locker or not. It performed much better in the slick and muddy conditions than I expected it to and I'm not a super crazy wheeler anyway. And now I can start installing parts I have been gathering for the last 2 months (Roof rack, flares, drawer system).View attachment 1952869View attachment 1952870View attachment 1952876
Looks greasy. Tires make a bigger difference in the mud than lockers do. These rigs always amaze me in the mud, they must have lots of mechanical traction.

cruiserdan

SupportingVendor Emeritus

Land Cruiser Heritage Museum broom closet
YMMV, but when I had this problem I just popped off the steering wheel and moved it one spline to the right or left. I don’t know if it’s recommended but it’s only 1 spline and 1/2 :banana:
This method will "correct" the offset of the steering wheel but it moves the steering box off-center. This alters the steering arc (not much but it does) and can affect the box as it likes to return to center. In other words when the steering wheel is straight the box is slightly turned in one direction.
Adjusting the drag link is the right way to go.

Recent write up. Centering Steering Wheel

Works for Jeeps too. :flush:
Thanks!!! Going to try that as soon as the SNOW MELTS!! Minneapolis got dumped on the last couple of days.

This method will "correct" the offset of the steering wheel but it moves the steering box off-center. This alters the steering arc (not much but it does) and can affect the box as it likes to return to center. In other words when the steering wheel is straight the box is slightly turned in one direction.
Adjusting the drag link is the right way to go.
Thanks for this. That's what I was thinking. It's only off a bit but want to do it the right way.

Reactions: RFB

fjbj40

Put a tap on the out of my hot water tank, which is conveniently located in the garage. I then spent the whole after noon degreasing the engine and front axle on the 80. Drained the hot water tank several times. Made up a mixture of kerosene and simple green purple pro-HD. Engine is nice and clean now:D.
Now I get to track down the oil leaks:doh:.
Also ordered 18 ltrs of Castrol Transmax from Costco, cheapest place to get it around here. Rodney flush next week after I pull the pan, clean it and sonic clean the filter.

Reactions: RFB

RFB

97 FZJ80 LIFTED SC DUAL BATTERIES,37s
GOLD Star
Last weekend I finally got to take the 450 out into the woods for Mardi-Krawl in NW Alabama. Very sloppy couple of days of trail riding and I had to winch out once. But I am seriously considering now whether I really need a rear locker or not. It performed much better in the slick and muddy conditions than I expected it to and I'm not a super crazy wheeler anyway. And now I can start installing parts I have been gathering for the last 2 months (Roof rack, flares, drawer system).View attachment 1952869View attachment 1952870View attachment 1952876
lockers are good, if you never use them great. But if you need them and dont have them well thats just frowny face

Top Bottom