What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend?

RFB

97 FZJ80 LIFTED SC DUAL BATTERIES,37s
GOLD Star
Thanks!!! Going to try that as soon as the SNOW MELTS!! Minneapolis got dumped on the last couple of days.

Thanks for this. That's what I was thinking. It's only off a bit but want to do it the right way.
Im in same boat homie, took it to shop to align and wheel went to 12 and 6 got it to almost dead nuts, but they dont know what A SAS is.

I did a thing.

Repaired lightly rusted patch where the 3rd row seat belts bolted to the floor, filled all the extra holes with silicone, covered in aluminum tape, and then...

Full coverage in the cargo area of Noico 80 + Noico Green, noticeable difference in tones heard in the car, will be doing the doors, rest of floors, and roof in the next few weeks. Took three of us almost 4 hours to get it done, but there are so many nooks in the rear panels, that it's just a lot of templating and cutting.

20190414_000304091_iOS.jpg

20190414_224034019_iOS.jpg

20190414_224038222_iOS.jpg

20190414_235646798_iOS.jpg

Box Rocket

SILVER Star

Drove the 80 to go pick up some new seats for my sons '85 minitruck. It had a nasty benchseat that I worried about spreading disease. These are VW Jetta/Golf seats, identical to the ones I swapped into my 80 except these are cloth rather than leather like I have in the 80. Power recline and seat heaters. These are really comfortable seats and I've like them a lot in the 80 so I was stoked to find another set for a great price.
Seats by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

Now to finish getting the truck ready for paint.
Seats by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

Dumped all diffs and transfer case (which apparently had ATF in it), refilled w/synthetic gear oil. Dumped whatever would come out of the tranny's drain plug, refilled. Changed oil, took sample to send to Blackstone. Replaced all the vacuum lines, pulled throttle body and cleaned it and most of the intake manifold.

Oh yeah - almost forgot. Ordered Denso starter because the POS aftermarket thing I have is horrible (and to think, I let my OEM Denso go because I was too lazy at the time to rebuild it myself - damnit!). Also ordered new hydraulic lifters for the hood and rear hatch. Tired of getting hit on the head.
Good call on the hood struts. I've had a Tacoma stick in place for about 2x years since the struts konked out and was happy until I was at the car wash on a windy day last week. A gust caught the hood, very nearly displaced the rod and threatened to kill my beautiful face. So....now I'm reconsidering the struts. :)

Last edited:

kelly saad

Supporting Vendor

96FZJ80

SILVER Star
Removed the 3rd row seats and gave the truck it's first ever (since I've owned it) hand wash. Replaced the rear hatch struts - now pops right up and takes a little effort to get it down. Moved around to the front to replace the hood struts and found that a 11mm wrench is too small to remove the ball. 12mm is too big (fear of rounding it). Thought "hmmm, someone must have replaced with SAE at some point in the past..." But 7/16 too small and 1/2 way too big. Tried to grab it with a pair of needle nose vice grips but no luck - too thick to get behind the socket. Don't have an 11.5 mm or 15/32 wrench (if they exist). The replacement ball (Maxpow) takes an 11mm wrench. I really don't want to have to cut the socket off. What's the trick?

Top Bottom