What did you do with your 60 this weekend? (33 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Also started the last LS swap before I move to Oregon. 6.0 with LS6 parts and a good cam with a nv4500. Going into a freshly painted silver 60

IMG_1430.jpeg

IMG_1428.jpeg

IMG_1422.jpeg

IMG_1424.jpeg

Wife and I went out cruising around. It was sunny/80 degrees and seemed like a good day for it.

IMG_4101.jpg

On the '87 60...Finished a project that I started a few years ago....
Removed the 90s-era purple window tint.

I tried to use a heat gun when I first attempted this job. Didn't feel comfortable getting the glass so hot, so I parked the project and just lived with it.

Recently, my wife picked up one of those big garment steamers, so I requisitioned it off to my garage for a day or two.

Worked like a charm. Despite the film wanting to separate into two thin layers and tear. Probably 5 or 6 hours, all in, with getting every last bit of adhesive goo off the glass with Rapidtac.

Kept the truck's doors open with a fan blowing overnight to make sure the moisture was all gone.
20230527_132331.jpg

20230527_100114.jpg

Cannot beat the clear glass look.

Last edited:

I tried to use a heat gun when I first attempted this job. Didn't feel comfortable getting the glass so hot, so I parked the project and just lived with it.

Recently, my wife picked up one of those big garment steamers, so I requisitioned it off to my garage for a day or two.

Worked like a charm. Despite the film wanting to separate into two thin layers and tear. Probably 5 or 6 hours, all in, with getting every last bit of adhesive good off the glass with Rapidtac cleaner.

Kept the truck's doors open with a fan blowing overnight to make sure the moisture was all gone.

Dang, that's awesome. I did not fair so well. Mine came off in very small pieces and I had to razor it off the back window. Need to replace my defrost lines.

Dang, that's awesome. I did not fair so well. Mine came off in very small pieces and I had to razor it off the back window. Need to replace my defrost lines.

Even with the steamer, the hatch glass was a PITA. The film wanted to tear along the lengths of several wires.
The Chizler is probably my best tool for encouraging the film to come up. It has a very fine edge but it really strong.

Even with the steamer, the hatch glass was a PITA. The film wanted to tear along the lengths of several wires.
The Chizler is probably my best tool for encouraging the film to come up. It has a very fine edge but it really strong.

Depending on how badly the defrost tracks were damaged (if at all), you can repair them with conductive paint pen. I use one made by MG Chemical. Put some blue tape down flush with the edges of the track and 1” or so on either side of the break, then paint away. It takes a few tries to get the hang of how the paint flows especially upside down. Sometimes it takes a few coats, especially since the pen tip can scratch the previous coat if you’re not careful. More is better.

I think this is the one I got, it’s carbon based. Maybe I got one with nickel in it, can’t remember but anything will work to some extent.

And if the whole defrost grid got seriously messed up, Frost Fighter apparently makes a whole new one you can lay down. Never used it, but I tan into somebody on Mud posting about it a while back.

Depending on how badly the defrost tracks were damaged (if at all), you can repair them with conductive paint pen. I use one made by MG Chemical. Put some blue tape down flush with the edges of the track and 1” or so on either side of the break, then paint away. It takes a few tries to get the hang of how the paint flows especially upside down. Sometimes it takes a few coats, especially since the pen tip can scratch the previous coat if you’re not careful. More is better.

I think this is the one I got, it’s carbon based. Maybe I got one with nickel in it, can’t remember but anything will work to some extent.
Man this is a project ive been meaning to do since i got my truck. my defrost does all of nothing.

Man this is a project ive been meaning to do since i got my truck. my defrost does all of nothing.
Also check the big 12awg (or whatever size) wire for the defrost lines where it goes through the rubber boot between the body and the hatch. A lot of them break there, so even if your grid is fine, it's not getting power. Took me a long time but everything in my rear hatch works! 😂

Last edited:
Also check the big 12awg (or whatever size) wire for the defrost lines where it goes through the rubber hatch between the body and the hatch. A lot of them break there, so even if your grid is fine, it's not getting power. Took me a long time but everything in my rear hatch works! 😂
my grid definitely has cracks in it. I think someone got a little carried away removing window tint at some point

After finishing up the tint removal project, the 60 got to run around on errands in town yesterday.

20230601_115850.jpg

One of my favorite Toyotas. I love that truck.

She had been riding on some very old Firestone MTs. Now she's sporting a set of Nokian Outpost ATs. Which ride nicely and don't trigger my tinnitus.

Worked like a charm. Despite the film wanting to separate into two thin layers and tear. Probably 5 or 6 hours, all in, with getting every last bit of adhesive goo off the glass with Rapidtac.

View attachment 3336245

View attachment 3336247

FWIW, use the steamer between the glass and tint film, not on top of the film like you pictured. Mine lifted off quickly and effortlessly, esp on the rear hatch glass. Only a couple sticky spots leftover.

Just get a corner started on the bottom of the glass somewhere and work upwards, let the steam rise under it.

FWIW, use the steamer between the glass and tint film, not on top of the film like you pictured. Mine lifted off quickly and effortlessly, esp on the rear hatch glass. Only a couple sticky spots leftover.

Just get a corner started on the bottom of the glass somewhere and work upwards, let the steam rise under it.
Tried it that way and couldn't get any sort of momentum. I was heating a square foot or so, then giving it intense steam on the folded edge that I was working. Without the preheat, it simply wasn't coming up.
This tint was likely from early 1990's when the PO (2nd owner) bought it.
Even the Rapidtac struggled to get the residue off.

I've removed old tint on a couple of vehicles previously, and this was by far the toughest. Good access in the 60 made it possible.

Last edited:
I drove up the mountain to set out some trail cams and deer blocks in the woods. While I was hiking it stormed and dumped an inch
2June_truck1.png
2June_truck2.png
2June_truck3.png
of mushy hail on my truck. Turned out it was a good time to test my lift-gate window defroster and wipers. Both work and I should thank ToyotaMatt for the wiper switch...maybe the defroster switch too? Sorry to the dog hair on the dash...it isn't cracked!

After finishing up the tint removal project, the 60 got to run around on errands in town yesterday.

View attachment 3338300

One of my favorite Toyotas. I love that truck.

She had been riding on some very old Firestone MTs. Now she's sporting a set of Nokian Outpost ATs. Which ride nicely and don't trigger my tinnitus.

One of my favorite colors on these beasts. Really nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom