What did you do with your 60 this weekend? (20 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Finished the Power Window fix per @LA Z (upgrade to the fix first posted by @slcfj62). The window relays are direct wired to the battery (fused) with a local ground. All switches operate as they should and I no longer have lazy windows. I had previously replaced all the window channels, lubed the mechanisms and rebuilt the driver's door relay box (actually...@Spook50 rebuilt the green box). Those changes made the front windows OK (up-down in about 5 seconds), and greatly improved the rear windows from barely moving to 6-8 seconds up). The rears now go up/down in 4 seconds flat after relay install. I'm ready to add the vapor barrier and forget ever opening these doors again.

Video of before/after for rear windows:

View attachment 3124740

Got a link to the upgrade thread and any pointers to make it easier?

See post #232 (page 12?) for the cleanest PW fix so far...

If you have keyless entry then you'll need to modify what you do per this thread: How To: Keyless entry for a 62 - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/how-to-keyless-entry-for-a-62.268704/

Pointers:
1. If, like me, you don't quite understand wiring diagrams and your cars wiring, then post your plan with pics before cutting wires and modifying switches. There are lots of helpful mud members that will keep you form making time-consuming mistakes.
2. Have good tools that will allow you to solder, crimp, cut and splice in awkward, tight spaces. Take out your seats to facilitate access.
3. Consider adding the power lock relays inside the driver-door kick-panel or under the dash to reduce the number of old connectors carrying higher volts/amps. If you do this, then you don't cut the wires per the wiring diagram shown early in the thread (slcFJ62).
4. You'll want to use smaller-size mini relays since there is limited room. Buy high-quality Song Chuan, Blaupunkt, Bosch and be sure you know the physical dimensions for the relays placed in the doors. You'll need to have room for the up-down windows depending on position.
5. Use a lube (soapy water?) to help pull wires through rubber door grommets. A long zip tie was a real help running the power wire through the firewall and under the dash.

See pointer #1.

This was a huge improvement and I can't thank everyone enough who helped me get 'r done.

looked at mine is all i can do. it’s down for an injection pump rebuild. it’s almost all back together but i lost a single air intake grommet and now have to wait for one to come in the mail. i’m trying to be patient but wish canada post would hurry the *%^! up!! man i want to drive it again!! my truck is sitting there oh so much more patiently than i am!!
1C091F99-7EAA-41F7-BAD3-A8160356B217.jpeg
34C82C15-D29F-4D89-9189-18214A79F189.jpeg

Boat haulage on Monday for a float trip on the Conecuh River in south Alabama. Educational float to show USFWS staff turtles and turtle habitat of this river. Bowfin rack has been moded so that I can mount a Yakima crossbar to handle a pair of boats.

IMG_8941.jpg

Took my boy out for probably our last canoe trip of the year. Had a nice boat ride, but didn't even bring fishing tackle this time. The wind blew us around a bit and made returning to out put-in spot kinda tough. I'm glad we brought the Cruiser and trailer. I had been putting the canoe on top of my Subaru but it was nice to not have to lift that thing after paddling for a couple hours.
This morning there was frost on the ground as I walked him to the bus stop....

20220927_172444.jpg

20220927_164520.jpg

20220927_163752.jpg

20220927_163733.jpg

Field work in the Mobile-Tensaw Delta of south Alabama came to a conclusion this week and I had to drag the Carolina Skiff stacked high with turtle nets about 200 miles north. My 2F is pushing 300k on a rebuild and I knew it would be slow so I stuck to the back roads. No problem running 50-55 on the two lanes and mileage was only slightly below the typical miserable.

IMG_8968.jpg

I posted this on a couple of Facebook pages. But last spring I sold my 55 and picked up this 1987 FJ60 from @Pigeaten . 120k 2F. 5 speed. Super rust free. I added the OME light medium from Cruiser Outfitters. Widened 16x7 Toyota steel wheels. Will be adding hub cap clips soon. 265/75/16 Goodyear Ultraterrain AT's . This is my daily driver as was my 55 and 40 before. Less than 3 miles a day.

FJ60 lift.jpg

I posted this on a couple of Facebook pages. But last spring I sold my 55 and picked up this 1987 FJ60 from @Pigeaten . 120k 2F. 5 speed. Super rust free. I added the OME light medium from Cruiser Outfitters. Widened 16x7 Toyota steel wheels. Will be adding hub cap clips soon. 265/75/16 Goodyear Ultraterrain AT's . This is my daily driver as was my 55 and 40 before. Less than 3 miles a day.

View attachment 3127781
3 miles a day is a hell of a work commute ha

Absolute beauty! My commute is 8 miles, still within the "Take the FJ60 as much as you want" range, haha.

It's a beauty alright. From your signature it looks like you've always had a 3 speed previously. Ever get to use the two new gears in those 3 miles? :)

It's a beauty alright. From your signature it looks like you've always had a 3 speed previously. Ever get to use the two new gears in those 3 miles? :)
Occasionally I get the chance to use 5th- not to often. With the 32" tires starting in 2nd with the 5 speed and 3.7 gear takes a bit more to get it going- facing downhill no problem. May have to start off in 1st more than normal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom