What did you do with your 60 this weekend? (20 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

5DA03A79-0A57-49C8-AA30-952EF2D9D79D.jpeg

Radiator repair today. I don't know how old my radiator is and was planning on refreshing the cooling system before the heat of summer arrives. After today that's going to happen much sooner. Noticed a drip under the 60 and checked the petcock in the CSF radiator. When I checked it's tightness it broke. Discovered the bolt size and thread pitch is M12x1.25. A shock bolt will fit but is too long. A really short bolt is needed. Dorman has the correct repair item, found it at O'Reilly.

View attachment 2941668View attachment 2941669

In trying a couple of quick fixes I slightly mangled the threads in the bung and the Dorman plug would not thread in straight. I doubled up the rubber washer by using the old + new then slathered the repair with JB Weld putty. Goal is simply stop the leakage until I can replace the radiator.

View attachment 2941674View attachment 2941675

Last two days have put about 500 miles on this fix and no leakage.

what's the zip tie and crank method ?

interesting term

photos please
@ToyotaMatt I put my long socket wrench handle under the front frame passenger side with 46mm socket on board, zip tied it to the frame thru a convenient hole, put a couple wood blocks in two places and cranked the engine over once! Amazing really. I should have taken a picture, video would be better. "This is the way"

On another note, my weekend project just got longer. When i put light pressure on the bottom edge of the backing plate i can see oil between it and the block squeezing out. The gasket and crank seal appeared to have been leaking also. The gears look OEM and really good to me. Should I check the run-out before further disassembly? I know the backing plate gasket is NLA, what should I use? Any suggestions on this snowballing job? I have not drained the oil yet.
Oh and how many people have had the lower part of the cover separate off? Looks like some weak tack welds let go.

2022-03-04 18.45.14.jpg

2022-03-04 18.52.11.jpg

2022-03-04 18.52.46.jpg

2022-03-04 19.04.01.jpg

I have had the boomerang flange spot welds fail before

Tack weld back on

Or

💯 % Troy weight silver solder

No brass brazing

U need this

Don’t dismiss its purpose

Also a new OEM toyota key way is simply a must do

This is the way ….

Also

All new OEM mounting bolts 10mm

There’s a chart in FSM there are like

3 or 4 different length ones it’s treasure map to get it right

But u can do it with the FSM

If I can help let me know

Matt

@ToyotaMatt I put my long socket wrench handle under the front frame passenger side with 46mm socket on board, zip tied it to the frame thru a convenient hole, put a couple wood blocks in two places and cranked the engine over once! Amazing really. I should have taken a picture, video would be better. "This is the way"

On another note, my weekend project just got longer. When i put light pressure on the bottom edge of the backing plate i can see oil between it and the block squeezing out. The gasket and crank seal appeared to have been leaking also. The gears look OEM and really good to me. Should I check the run-out before further disassembly? I know the backing plate gasket is NLA, what should I use? Any suggestions on this snowballing job? I have not drained the oil yet.
Oh and how many people have had the lower part of the cover separate off? Looks like some weak tack welds let go.

View attachment 2943408

View attachment 2943409

View attachment 2943410

View attachment 2943411

Gasket between block and timing plate appears to still be available. Part # 1131261020 and ca. $15.

Great news. I started searching and found two part numbers 11312-61021 and ...1011? Any idea which is the correct one. I have an April 84. The backing plate itself is showing available also, is it advised to get a new one? Still searching on how to remove the staked flat heads and oiler without damaging.

Great news. I started searching and found two part numbers 11312-61021 and ...1011? Any idea which is the correct one. I have an April 84. The backing plate itself is showing available also, is it advised to get a new one? Still searching on how to remove the staked flat heads and oiler without damaging.
11312-61011 is through 10/84.

Changing my plan unless Mr. 2F changes it for me. I had no clue how involved removing the cam was until late last night. If the gears check out, I'll be tack welding, painting and putting everything back. 🤞

Changing my plan unless Mr. 2F changes it for me. I had no clue how involved removing the cam was until late last night. If the gears check out, I'll be tack welding, painting and putting everything back. 🤞

This is an upgrade to the backing plate flat head screws 9014910001. These have a torx head, part number from 3FE. But if you are not going to pull the cam to access the plate you will not need them, file the number away for next time.

Regarding the oiler, do not remove it. It's set at a certain depth and staked. If you remove it and screw it in too far it can slightly push the out the timing plate and cause an oil leak.

Pulling the cam is a chore. Remove rocker arm assembly, side cover, rods and lifters, etc. plus you have to loosen the motor mounts to lift the engine so the cam gear will clear the valance.

Pulling the cam is a chore. Remove rocker arm assembly, side cover, rods and lifters, etc. plus you have to loosen the motor mounts to lift the engine so the cam gear will clear the valance.
UGH!... sucks you can't remove the cam gear from the cam without pulling it. I noticed the FSM says to:

1646490786369.png
......do you think this means to make sure you keep the cam square to the front of the motor as you pull it?

UGH!... sucks you can't remove the cam gear from the cam without pulling it. I noticed the FSM says to:

View attachment 2943709......do you think this means to make sure you keep the cam square to the front of the motor as you pull it?

Yes, but it's not that difficult. Just go slow and easy with removal and reinstallation, don't force it if it's not going smoothly. Definitely not the place for a hammer.

Installed a second battery last year which required moving the overflow bottle, and that led to a very taut hose connecting the radiator to the overflow. After many months finally added a section of hose to alleviate the shortness. I scavenged some connecting pieces from a couple of Mityvac kits.

IMG_7475.JPG
IMG_7477.JPG

Installed a second battery last year which required moving the overflow bottle, and that led to a very taut hose connecting the radiator to the overflow. After many months finally added a section of hose to alleviate the shortness. I scavenged some connecting pieces from a couple of Mityvac kits.
Exactly how I did mine, until I moved it to the air cleaner housing for FMIC ducting, etc. then I installed my Provent 200 catch can there now.
But I have the 12HT / 2H air cleaner, different than you,

IMG_20220305_151031190.jpg
IMG_20220305_151015605.jpg

Well, here it is. I'm a bit nervous about the preload on the bearings as the IFS hub fits tight without any preload. The caliper is tight too. There is no fluid in it and there is a lot of resistance. I imagine it will wear in at some horrible gas mileage. Did I say that it is tight??

Got the 3FE-Turbo running! It's running great too, only showing 2 lbs boost but I've got the lightest spring in the wastegate. Got all the gauges working today too and the wideband calibrated. What a relief after all that work you just never know how it's going to play out. Only issue I had on initial startup was the oil feed line to the turbo wasn't quite tight enough and had a little drip. All that's left is to finish the exhaust and I still need to plumb in an aux fuel pump but now I can get it on the lift so I'll get that done soon. What do you think, I'm going to do a side exit for the exhaust either before or after the rear wheel. I was going to go after but now I'm leaning towards before because I need to build some rear qtr protection. I included a pic of the drifted snow in front of the sauna at my camp so you can see it's going to be awhile before it hits the road.

Downpipe

IMG_20220302_155335.jpg

You've all seen these but this is the final

IMG_20220304_140657.jpg
IMG_20220304_140708.jpg
IMG_20220304_142007.jpg
IMG_20220224_170925.jpg

Last edited:
Got the 3FE-Turbo running! It's running great too, only showing 2 lbs boost but I've got the lightest spring in the wastegate. Got all the gauges working today too and the wideband calibrated. What a relief after all that work you just never know how it's going to play out. Only issue I had on initial startup was the oil feed line to the turbo wasn't quite tight enough and had a little drip. All that's left is to finish the exhaust and I still need to plumb in an aux fuel pump but now I can get it on the lift so I'll get that done soon. What do you think, I'm going to do a side exit for the exhaust either before or after the rear wheel. I was going to go after but now I'm leaning towards before because I need to build some rear qtr protection. I included a pic of the drifted snow in front of the sauna at my camp so you can see it's going to be awhile before it hits the road.

Downpipe

View attachment 2944108

You've all seen these but this is the final

View attachment 2944109View attachment 2944110View attachment 2944111View attachment 2944112

sounds great. Love the square/cubed sliders!!! We have 2 things in common...both have Freeborn red rigs and Both live under Snow!!!!:rofl::rofl::rofl:

View attachment 2944082View attachment 2944084
Well, here it is. I'm a bit nervous about the preload on the bearings as the IFS hub fits tight without any preload. The caliper is tight too. There is no fluid in it and there is a lot of resistance. I imagine it will wear in at some horrible gas mileage. Did I say that it is tight??

Looks good. Do those calipers mount directly to the caliper ears on the knuckle?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom