What did you do with your 60 this weekend? (26 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Installed Trail Tailor AC Bezel. Primed and spray bombed (many light coats) flat black. Had to grind down the back at the sides a little where they were bumping on the metal dash. Also grind the sandwich hole down to fit my Yaesu.

View attachment 2462139

View attachment 2462140

View attachment 2462141
I like that. I've got the same Yaesu FT-2900 but there's space to mount it in the dash on my 62.

As for the weekend the mighty cruiser led a bunch of wanna be Jeeps around the woods. Then spent the night in Big Bay MI and might've drank some beer.

IMG_20201007_211930.jpg

IMG_20201010_162133.jpg

Finally got my 3 point seatbelts after waiting for two months. They had to special order the brown seatbelt material because they were out of it. I guess black is more common. Anyway, I installed them for use in the back seat since my 7 year old is still in a booster seat. They work great.

It is a nice thing to have, just did mine about 2months ago. Still trying to find an upper frame from a 62 for the headrest frame.

Finally got my 3 point seatbelts after waiting for two months. They had to special order the brown seatbelt material because they were out of it. I guess black is more common. Anyway, I installed them for use in the back seat since my 7 year old is still in a booster seat. They work great.
Did you go the Seatbelt Planet route? Any pics?

24 hours dipped in the "soup". Another 24 and it should be fully stripped!

View attachment 2462738
Tell me about the soup I wanna know about the soup! I want SOOOOO bad to do this to my grille and headlight surrounds so I can properly prep them for a nice coat of black paint. At least to last me until I can get a steel grille....

Couple stupid little things that have been irritating me that I finally took care of while I had a couple free minutes. The metal base for the shifter cover, by nature of its design, likes to dimple when you snug the bolts down (which I imagine would be even worse if carpet is installed. I have none at this point). To help alleviate this I first flattened the bolt holes out, then picked up some M6x25mm bolts and some thick 1/4" ID fender washers. A quick hit on my bench grinder to put a small flat in each washer and then edge cleanup on the wire wheel, and they fit perfectly. The longer bolts also make it much easier to keep the inner boot in place while threading them into place. Much nicer now IMO.
Washer.jpg

I also thought it was exceedingly annoying how difficult it is to get a grip on the shifter locking ring when removing and reinstalling it. Even with rags and rubber gloves it was always a PITA to rotate it either direction. So while I had my welder out to work on brackets for my PT Cruiser seats (more on those later but I'm very happy with my design), I zapped a couple quick tacks on it so my fingers could actually purchase on something when turning it. Nothing pretty, just a couple quick ugly tacks with my flux core (hate flux core but wanted to use up the spool I still have in my machine), and MUUUUUCH easier to work with now, even when it's oily.
Shift collar.jpg

Tell me about the soup I wanna know about the soup! I want SOOOOO bad to do this to my grille and headlight surrounds so I can properly prep them for a nice coat of black paint. At least to last me until I can get a steel grille....

No soup for you. :)

I just added two gallons of muriatic acid to a few bottles of hydrogen peroxide (makes the process faster).

I have the soup all set up. Had to cut a hole in a rubbermaid to get the grille to get low enough and switch it around after one side of chrome came off... You are welcome to drop em off and use what I already have set up. I'm down 195 by Qualchan. PM if interested.

No soup for you. :)

I just added two gallons of muriatic acid to a few bottles of hydrogen peroxide (makes the process faster).

I have the soup all set up. Had to cut a hole in a rubbermaid to get the grille to get low enough and switch it around after one side of chrome came off... You are welcome to drop em off and use what I already have set up. I'm down 195 by Qualchan. PM if interested.
Oh hey I didn't notice you're right here! I'm getting the 62 ready for a Wenatchee trip this weekend, but now I definitely want to try the soup trick. I wonder if it'll remove already existent paint from the plastic too. I tried the bleach trick with a throwaway piece out of curiosity a while back, and lucky it was a throwaway piece, because it severely weakened the plastic and made it brittle. Turns out ABS doesn't like long exposure to bleach.

Oh hey I didn't notice you're right here! I'm getting the 62 ready for a Wenatchee trip this weekend, but now I definitely want to try the soup trick. I wonder if it'll remove already existent paint from the plastic too. I tried the bleach trick with a throwaway piece out of curiosity a while back, and lucky it was a throwaway piece, because it severely weakened the plastic and made it brittle. Turns out ABS doesn't like long exposure to bleach.

Yes, mine was painted black by the prior owner. Tried using some paint stripper but the chrome was already damaged and the stripper made it worse. The acid solution takes off paint as well as chrome.

Oddly one of my light bezels is yellowish underneath like the grille, but the other is black plastic. I'm guessing one is aftermarket. I'll probably neutralize and dispose of the soup in the next week. 2 gallons of acid at HD is around $11. The peroxide was $1.19 or so at Walmart. You are welcome to my rubbermaid as well. It will go to the dump when I am finished.

Yes, mine was painted black by the prior owner. Tried using some paint stripper but the chrome was already damaged and the stripper made it worse. The acid solution takes off paint as well as chrome.

Oddly one of my light bezels is yellowish underneath like the grille, but the other is black plastic. I'm guessing one is aftermarket. I'll probably neutralize and dispose of the soup in the next week. 2 gallons of acid at HD is around $11. The peroxide was $1.19 or so at Walmart. You are welcome to my rubbermaid as well. It will go to the dump when I am finished.
I might have to take you up on that if I can make it by to get it before leaving on Friday.

Doing a valve adjustment (been about 15-16 years since I last did it; did it hot then, doing it cold now and taking into account the extra 0.002", all but two intake valves were dead on perfect still. Two of the intake valves were too loose so I got them dialed in to match the rest). Giving the throttle body, ICS and TPS a good cleaning too. Just finished the throttle body, now want to give the ICS and TPS a good cleanup and make sure they're properly set up. Dirty mess under there, but not horrible. Oil change happening at the same time lol.

121537323_376055016870212_4006752936829061718_n.jpg

Edit: Well crap. Valve cover gasket and grommets are shot so had to get new ones. Should've had the foresight to see that coming. As it is I had to order them from the local dealer to the tune of $94 rather than being able to order them online and save a ton of money. Luckily I already have a new throttle body gasket. Got that good and cleaned and everything's adjusted and dialed in. Wasn't too nasty, but curious to see if I notice any difference in performance or economy between that and the valve adjustment at all on this weekend's trip.

Last edited:
Howdy, All,

This weekend, got my new @dnp carpet fully installed, and put the whole interior back together (the third pic, of the cargo area was taken last week, so not really a "this weekend" pic, but the rest was finished on Sunday). With the FatMat sound deadener, the new carpet, and freshly painted interior plastics, I'll be darned if it doesn't feel like a brand new truck. The test was going out for a drive with my wife. She couldn't believe the difference... so it wasn't just me feeling proud of my work ;)

Here are a few pics:
67834216-3103-43AF-BA85-A5EC853F76AA.jpeg
CC71240A-C409-4FE1-ACFD-971D68A33A23.jpeg
FA9DD526-EADF-45F5-A1FC-5F4027A40E0C.jpeg

Last edited:
What product did you use for the re-glue? I need to do mine soon.
WOW, sorry to be so tardy with my repy- I am getting no alerts for any watched threads.
I used 3M Urethane SEAM SEALER 08367- Napa had it . I t seems to be sticking really well and maintaining flexibility as well.

Finally installed a Blue Sea 1045 usb fast charger. Now I just need to grind a smidge off the ram mount so my ashtray closes. Got to try my new crimpers too.

BFD923C1-D1F5-4C20-946F-74DB23EFD234.jpeg
A91234EE-5945-4505-A09F-DF3B31CEEE17.jpeg
A5083073-2CC4-4556-AC62-EF0E9E46A23B.jpeg

Small stuff. Last year I'd have my fan running and it would intermittently shut off then a short time later turn on. This no matter what speed it was set. Cooler weather is setting in and having a functional heating system will be nice. I pulled a circuit breaker and fan relay out of my parts stash thinking I would replace both. Once I pulled out the old CB I noted that it is some no-name aftermarket CB and I replaced with an OEM unit. Quick test and the fan seems to run better. Full test coming this week.

View attachment 2462199

My oem CB trips on full fan, even after I put a NOS fan motor in. Interested to see if this fixes it for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom