What did you do with your 60 this weekend? (19 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

New ARB has 3 height positions, I think mine is the middle and rides the headlight and replaces the turn signals.... and servicing the axles this weekend thru next weekend.

Swapped out a bad driveshaft.. by the way, the late-model Toyota driveshafts have super thin-wall tubing compared to the old Cruiser stuff, apparently. This unit was from a GX470 and would not have lasted an hour on the trails I’m used to. Not sure if picture conveys well but those dents are deep

494B2D70-5F86-4A31-85D7-E81389C17848.jpeg

Put a 12h-t in it!
Just sitting in there, and so very much more to do but that is a huge motivator seeing the engine sitting in the chassis.
20190602_194813.jpg

Drove it and drove it some more.

Last week the transfer case in my DD '86 FJ60 had a little issue and became undriveable. I had fieldwork to conduct so I used the '85 this week. The '85 for about a decade now has been relegated to farm service and local use. This was our first Cruiser and served as the family hauler for years. I swapped in a 3FE > 20 years ago. Still has the H42. Suspension is a BDS that is stiff with little flex, good ride on the road but not in the dirt. Running 4.11s and 255-85-16 tires, well used Toyos.

I racked up about 500 miles over three days becoming re-acquainted with this 60. The 3FE has > 200k on a rebuild and still runs strong. Mileage was in the 14-15 mpg range. My DD has the H55F and I've become accustomed to having 5th gear for highway driving. I ran up to 65 +/- and didn't find the H42 to really be lacking. If I was regularly running interstates and wanted 70+ I'd want the H55F.

I need to take this one out on more longer trips.

View attachment 1991653

View attachment 1991654
I wish my farm 60 was that sweet. Nice truck.

Grabbed the family and decided to go exploring offload on old fire roads. Pretty fun. My little guy enjoyed it too.
633142B6-0EF6-4CAA-B7B0-6BF954199899.jpeg
I see Black Butte in the distance. So much volcanic history in that part of the Cascades. Looks like a great time Justin.
Went on 12 mile hike with the wife to Badger Lake Sunday and nobody was there.
FE41A276-DABF-4308-BBB3-3A15E92B3B73.jpeg

East face of Mt. Hood
2676ECB3-CFB1-495F-B9C3-DB8C6893786C.jpeg

Badger Lake
2416B0EB-23DA-4939-A17B-F0D1CE6CB5FE.jpeg

A7294719-4A57-42AD-BB53-6986D378667E.jpeg

Fresh cougar tracks in the snow.

Do tell about said bleach treatment.
Absolutely horrible. I dont recommend it to anyone doing such a large piece as the grill or deep as the headlight bezels.
Gave everything a good sanding.
Went to target and got a plastic bin that would hold everything and filled it with 4 or 5 gallons of clorox bleach.
I noticed a reaction immediately. 4 hours later I could no longer smell any bleach or see a reaction going on.
There was a decent amount of discoloring and some new flaking going on, plenty of black sediment.
Round 2 I decided to go get my bleach at the dollar store. 1/2 the price and seemed to be twice as strong. I dumped 6 gallons in.
I let it sit over night. There was still copper and chrome left all over the grill and bezels. It looked absolutely horrible.
So i figured why not go for round 3 and thats where most all the plating was removed. To get rid of all the bleach "properly" I took it to the local waist disposal place. The ENTIRE cargo area was filled with bleach containers.
After all that I spent an afternoon filling/gluing cracks and sanding by hand to even out the specs of copper left over.
Relatively so much time and $ spent to remove the chrome, my OCD set in and I didnt want to have to sand and paint in the future.
Probably wouldnt do it over again tho.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom