What did you do with your 60 this weekend? (9 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

F99F2B57-318E-4184-821C-44229C95C0A3.jpeg
Finally got around to changing the gear oil in the front and rear diff. After a lot of research, I bought a new six point 15/16th socket which I carefully ground down to remove the recess lip. Additionally I had been soaking all four plugs with penetrating oil for days prior. On D Day I put the kids to bed and bid my wife goodnight as I went to the garage prepared to do battle. I put my custom socket on the upper drain plug as recommended and I gave it all I had with a 48 inch breaker bar. I almost busted my nose because the PO had apparently serviced the diff routinely and had been kind enough to coat the threads with anti seize. Long story short all four plugs came out easily and were replaced with new magnetic hex plugs with new washers. With my luck,I know if I had not put this kind of preparation into this simple one hour job would have ended up much worse.

Still high on my latest success, we took her out the next day to get our xmas tree. My wife got some great photos of our kids with land cruiser and to my surprise plans to use one of them for our xmas card this year.

D10C2990-524A-463F-A5D9-0F70D47C4D86.jpeg
Had a short photo shoot with his newly acquired younger brother. A 2013 200 series. And longtime cousin sharing garage space

You know the drill. And I managed to yet again cut open one of my fingers on a simple maintenance item. Happens every-time I touch this truck. I'm cursed.
IMG_2810.JPG

After a couple years fretting why my transfer case wouldn't stay in 4-low when the going got rough, I spent 15 minutes and replaced the two $2 detent springs. Skeptically I took it out wheelin to make sure. I can't hardly believe that a couple extra pounds of spring resistance was all it took to solve my biggest concern with this truck! It's a little high geared in first-low, but this truck crawls just fine.

Got some new shoes on the 62 this weekend and replaced my lift gate struts with a pair of 4138T56 struts from McMaster-Carr. We'll see if they last longer than the Reid Supply ones I was using previously.

20171126_160116.jpg

Got some new shoes on the 62 this weekend and replaced my lift gate struts with a pair of 4138T56 struts from McMaster-Carr. We'll see if they last longer than the Reid Supply ones I was using previously.

View attachment 1581393
Pardon me, but are you using spacers to run those wheels? I’ve thought about trying a set on my 62, they are all over craigslist these days. Thank you.

Brought a set of axles/springs/wheels/tires and the steering gearbox from my '86 FJ60 project vehicle (which got axles and gearbox from my '89 FJ62 donor vehicle) to my place in Nevada to put under my '84 FJ60 parts vehicle. It'll be a roller again. Just finished unloading the rear axle from the bed of my Silverado using a single strap and engine hoist, much easier than I thought it was going to be. Tomorrow morning I'll unload the front axle from my tow dolly and install both axles on the '84, along with the partial dash, steering wheel/column/shaft, and gearbox. I'll bolt on the fenders and radiator support on the next trip out here if I run out of time. My next priority tomorrow is to get my other '84 FJ60 running, adjust the valves, and tune it up. Before taking it out on the street I'll have to install the license plate and put the registration and insurance paperwork in the glovebox. Here's the new style of license plate I got for it:

chile-license-plate-png.1524580

Last edited:
Pardon me, but are you using spacers to run those wheels? I’ve thought about trying a set on my 62, they are all over craigslist these days. Thank you.
Yeah. The wheels are 17x7.5" wheels off an '09 Tacoma. I ordered 2" wheel spacers from US Wheel Adapters. The fronts I ordered with a 160mm center bore so it would fit well over my hubs. This allowed me to keep the hub-centric aspect of the Tacoma wheels so the wheel fits beautifully right on the hub. The rears I also had machined with a 160mm center bore, but I requested they put a lip on the outer end of the center bore so I could have retain the hub-centric aspect of the wheels there too.

so how much track did you gain?

I had to make one of those once! I cut a short extension in half, and cut some 3/4” steel pipe to the length I needed, and welded the 2 pcs of the extension on the ends. I don’t use it much, but when I need it, it’s golden!
Yep...not sure why I have so many 1/2" extensions but luckily we do. Making tools is always a cool thing as well. We've done that a time or two over the years :)

After a couple years fretting why my transfer case wouldn't stay in 4-low when the going got rough, I spent 15 minutes and replaced the two $2 detent springs. Skeptically I took it out wheelin to make sure. I can't hardly believe that a couple extra pounds of spring resistance was all it took to solve my biggest concern with this truck! It's a little high geared in first-low, but this truck crawls just fine.
curious if you have the part #'s for those springs? thanks. Jim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom