What did you do with your 60 this weekend? (27 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Replaced the leaky power steering pump with a factory unit. Followed up with a wash..

20160911_124102.jpg

20160911_135910.jpg

20160819_192229.jpg

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Just a state inspection away from actually having a 60 to drive. With the help of @CaptClose i was able to fix the rear main leak. We even threw in a H55 while we were at it :). I've stabbed a handful of Trans and this one was by far the toughest for some reason. Took Ryan and I over an hour to get her seated into the pilot bearing. Just when we were about to quit (2:00AM),it locked into the splines. Back to the rear main leak...now I know why you never use non OEM seals or gaskets. You could not run this 60 without oil pouring out the back. When we dropped the flywheel the seal fell out. The last owner unfortunately had a non OEM one in there.

View attachment 1320471 View attachment 1320470 View attachment 1320468 Just a state inspection away from actually having a 60 to drive. With the help of @CaptClose i was able to fix the rear main leak. We even threw in a H55 while we were at it :). I've stabbed a handful of Trans and this one was by far the toughest for some reason. Took Ryan and I over an hour to get her seated into the pilot bearing. Just when we were about to quit (2:00AM),it locked into the splines. Back to the rear main leak...now I know why you never use non OEM seals or gaskets. You could not run this 60 without oil pouring out the back. When we dropped the flywheel the seal fell out. The last owner unfortunately had a non OEM one in there.

Man, that felt more like a marathon Jimmy! I think that transmission would have went in much easier about 5 hours earlier though. haha. I'm ready to do it again bud. I ordered all the parts I need to get mine back together, hopefully before the month is out...

Last edited:
Just a state inspection away from actually having a 60 to drive. With the help of @CaptClose i was able to fix the rear main leak. We even threw in a H55 while we were at it :). I've stabbed a handful of Trans and this one was by far the toughest for some reason. Took Ryan and I over an hour to get her seated into the pilot bearing. Just when we were about to quit (2:00AM),it locked into the splines. Back to the rear main leak...now I know why you never use non OEM seals or gaskets. You could not run this 60 without oil pouring out the back. When we dropped the flywheel the seal fell out. The last owner unfortunately had a non OEM one in there.

That sounds more like improper installation of the seal...

That sounds more like improper installation of the seal...
Matt, I've seen a few rear mains and it was in the correct way. Just plain wore out. The original owner did it. I bought the truck from the second owner (had it 12 years) and he never dropped the tranny. What began as a slow leak got to the point it poured out while running. That's why he parked it and then sold it to me a year later.

Man, that felt more like a marathon Jimmy! I think that transmission would have went in much easier about 5 hours earlier though. haha. I'm ready to do it again bud. I ordered all the parts I need to get mine back together, hopefully before the month is out...
Should have my duramax back soon. We can tow it to the shop and know it out :)

@CenTXFJ60 Did y'all put the flywheel inspection cover back on? My truck is missing mine... Need to source one soon.
FishTown, I believe you're in SA. If so, I'll check around the barn and see if I have an extra cover. If so its yours for the price of a cold Corona. I'm traveling for work so give me a few days to confirm. My cell is 713-805-3962. Thanks, Jim.

FishTown, I believe you're in SA. If so, I'll check around the barn and see if I have an extra cover. If so its yours for the price of a cold Corona. I'm traveling for work so give me a few days to confirm. My cell is 713-805-3962. Thanks, Jim.

That would be incredible. I go up to canyon lake from time to time, so I could pick it up next time I'm headed that way. Let me know when you get a chance to look. :beer:

Matt, I've seen a few rear mains and it was in the correct way. Just plain wore out. The original owner did it. I bought the truck from the second owner (had it 12 years) and he never dropped the tranny. What began as a slow leak got to the point it poured out while running. That's why he parked it and then sold it to me a year later.

Twelve years is long enough for any rubber to degrade! :eek:

@IrishCRZR Is that a For Sale sign on your rig?

Ok. I've been pretty much done with my all aluminum homebuilt flat rack but waiting to take it someplace pretty for a pic. That didn't happen so today when I was testing outt the new waterproof boxes I got for fit I took a few.

That was right before I wrestled with a 8' x 10' tarp that finally proved to me what it had been saying all along--it's too damn big. Got a 6' x 8' that works brilliantly if a bit breezy at the rear. No pics of that 'cause it's a blue poly tarp and I'll be replacing that with a tan treated canvas one as the live much, much longer in the wind.

20160912_182637.jpg

20160912_182711.jpg

I'm fairly pleased at this point. I usually don't use ratchet straps for tying this stuff down as I prefer old school rope but thought I'd try it. Other than trying to bust the windows when tossing hooks over it worked pretty good.
Parts include:
3"x1" channel cross members
1" square fore and aft runners
1/4" diamond tread deck and pigeon deflector mounted with carriage bolts.
Energy suspension bullet bumpstops for deflector
Jeep MB window hold downs for deflector.
Some soft black drain pipe split over the front of the deflector to protect the tarp.
Clamps are from 4wd Parts, Smittybilt I think.

My 12'x20' dining fly, poles, stakes and guy ropes are in the seabag in front of two Milwaukee waterproof boxes with cook gear in both, the black box is a waterproof Remington "Oh S***" box with survival and broke-down-someplace-really-cold gear. The camp table will go up there as well as chairs. (Did I mention this was a test run?)

I have another of the Remington boxes that could go up there in a pinch but it's a camp box and heavier than I want on the roof. The cheap Walmart boxes I replaced now house my winching and recovery gear and spare parts.

Once I get some more tie-downs mounted all the inside boxes will go on the passenger side with the rear seat folded down, a Cabela's Alaskan guide pad goes on the driver's side with all the soft stuff, clothes, bedding etc. on top.

I ACTUALLY GOT TO DRIVE HER!!!! Doc hadn't cleared it yet but 2mos post-op and figured I have enough flexion/extension in the foot/ankle to be able to drive. Even drove myself to the yesterday's follow-up appointment (wife was running late). So now just taking my time to get better.

Welp, am in far deeper than I ever thought imaginable for "little-ol" me. Sunday and Monday pulled my radiator, FC, WP and after seeing the grime below on the timing cover I am pulling the HB. And tonight after having to grind the spot of weld a garage put on the nut and borrowed the mega 1' wrench and 1 7/8 socket from my neighbor, nut is off. Holy jeepers! My 3yo, simply stated "good job Mama!" Kudos kid for letting me get it done.

IMG_0708.JPG

IMG_0739.JPG

IMG_0742.JPG

IMG_0745.JPG

IMG_0749.JPG

Ok. I've been pretty much done with my all aluminum homebuilt flat rack but waiting to take it someplace pretty for a pic. That didn't happen so today when I was testing outt the new waterproof boxes I got for fit I took a few.

That was right before I wrestled with a 8' x 10' tarp that finally proved to me what it had been saying all along--it's too damn big. Got a 6' x 8' that works brilliantly if a bit breezy at the rear. No pics of that 'cause it's a blue poly tarp and I'll be replacing that with a tan treated canvas one as the live much, much longer in the wind.

20160912_182711.jpg

I'm fairly pleased at this point. I usually don't use ratchet straps for tying this stuff down as I prefer old school rope but thought I'd try it. Other than trying to bust the windows when tossing hooks over it worked pretty good.
Parts include:
3"x1" channel cross members
1" square fore and aft runners
1/4" diamond tread deck and pigeon deflector mounted with carriage bolts.
Energy suspension bullet bumpstops for deflector
Jeep MB window hold downs for deflector.
Some soft black drain pipe split over the front of the deflector to protect the tarp.
Clamps are from 4wd Parts, Smittybilt I think.

My 12'x20' dining fly, poles, stakes and guy ropes are in the seabag in front of two Milwaukee waterproof boxes with cook gear in both, the black box is a waterproof Remington "Oh S***" box with survival and broke-down-someplace-really-cold gear. The camp table will go up there as well as chairs. (Did I mention this was a test run?)

I have another of the Remington boxes that could go up there in a pinch but it's a camp box and heavier than I want on the roof. The cheap Walmart boxes I replaced now house my winching and recovery gear and spare parts.

Once I get some more tie-downs mounted all the inside boxes will go on the passenger side with the rear seat folded down, a Cabela's Alaskan guide pad goes on the driver's side with all the soft stuff, clothes, bedding etc. on top.

Ok, I think I've got anchoring the leading edge of the tarp sorted.

I riveted a sleeve in the leading edge of the tarp. The dowel goes in the sleeve, centered.

20160913_235133.jpg

I put an additional grommet behind the corner grommets. When the dowel is in the gap between the deck and the fore and aft stringer ends, a bungee goes in each of these grommets to tension the the leading edge of the tarp and keep it in place.

20160913_235147.jpg

Detail of the rivets. This is the center of the tarp. The extra grommet is because the stock center grommet was way off center. The second grommet allows me to pull evenly if I decide it needs a bungee or two here.

20160913_235224.jpg

Beings this is the first try, I fully expect disaster and buying at least one more tarp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom