What did you do with your 60 this weekend? (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Got a new one to build grandpa style.

image.jpeg

Used my '62 to blow up an air mattress. I'm in the process of moving and have 2 or 3 of the 12v and 120v pumps back in NY somewhere, so I thought I'd skimp and blow this one up with lung power. I forgot how much work that is. Then I had an idea.... Hand throttle on 2000 rpm, garden hose extension, bypass the VSV for full vacuum to the valve and she blew it up in maybe 30 seconds!! New camping hack!

image.jpeg

Kept hearing a clunking sound in the back of the cruiser. Decided to see if anything was loose......... time to replace some pieces.
Thanks to @beno for all the replacement parts.
26328500455_a320ebdcb3_z.jpg

Finished the desmog 3f carb hat routing. Ended up having to add some vaccum inserts to the 3F carb hat. Cleaned the engine bay quite a by moving as much of the remaining vaccum lined stuff up near the carb fan to make room for future plans.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Last edited:
Not this weekend per se, as all of this has been ongoing for a while due to pulling things apart, finding problems, waiting a week for parts to come in, installing said parts, finding other problems, etc., etc. But, today was the culmination of all that work. It had been apart so long and I worked on so many separate components simultaneously that I was worried I overlooked something. So, after saying a few dozen prayers, I turned the key and she fired right up. Hey, maybe I learned something at Wyotech after all.

I originally tore it down because the transfer case gears were chewed up, the transmission was just slightly notchy, and the exhaust manifold was leaking (the bottom bolts were barely finger tight when I removed them). From there, it snowballed into things that either needed to be or should be fixed while I was in there.

1. Replaced u-joints in front driveshaft
  2. Freshly greased and painted both driveshafts
  3. Rebuilt transfer case
  4. Replaced transmission with another unit that I know shifts smoothly
  5. New clutch, pressure plate, and pilot bearing
  6. New catalytic converter - now it needs a muffler because this Magnaflow unit flows much more freely (read: louder)
  7. New exhaust pipe mounts
  8. Resurfaced intake/exhaust manifolds (intake was badly warped) and removed broken exhaust deflector plate
  9. Replaced both exhaust manifold heat shields with parts from Georg
  10. I painted everything to do with the exhaust manifold with bake-on header paint which will hopefully keep them from rusting like the originals did
  11. I actually had to cut open the pipe on the EGR inlet tube so that I could remove a couple centimeters of hardened carbon completely blocking the passage. I found a drill bit to be the best way to remove it cleanly and efficiently. Then, I welded the tube back up and painted it with the header paint.
  12. Replaced the rusted-out AIR rail check valve
  13. All vacuum lines replaced and routed correctly
  14. Thoroughly cleaned thermostat housing, replaced gaskets and hoses
  15. Cleaned and rebuilt carburetor
  16. New clutch master cylinder
  17. New clutch slave cylinder
  18. New stainless steel battery tray
  19. New windshield
  20. Replaced tailgate with rust-free one
  21. New v belts
It's been a chore, and I'm still not close to being done. I still need to clean the interior (easy), patch all of the rust spots, replace the rear shock crossmember, rebuild the birfields, get a muffler/tailpipe put on, and get a tailgate handle from Onur. But, I'm getting there. This 60 will be my mom's ride, so I'm excited to get it completed. Thanks to Georg @orangefj45 for all of the parts. In addition to the split case rebuild kit, I wouldn't have been able to get everything running right without all of the NLA parts I've gotten from him.

Last edited:
Your post reads like mine. In the beginning I didn't take pics, now I wish I had. Do you have any pics of your rig? The hard part for me is waiting for parts and work to be done by others, that I can't do myself (machine shop). Mine has been down for nearly 6 months, but I can see the light at the end of the tunnel Keep up the god work and share with us what you can:).

Here's a picture of the truck. I didn't take many pictures of the work I did because, even after cleaning and painting a lot of stuff, after going back in a 60 with thirty years of wear, it blends right in. Even the spotless thermostat housing looks dingy. lol I guess I should have used some polish or painted it silver, but I didn't have time. I started on it back in November and would have been done a lot sooner, but I was running a junkyard and stuck in a garage all day with the owner who is a textbook case of toxic leadership, so the last thing I wanted to do after work was be in my shop. I quit 2/19 and it took about a month to get where I didn't have to drag myself to my shop and kind of wanted to go. Unfortunately, I've got to get moved out of here at the end of the month and have a truck that I also have to finish, so now that the 60 runs and drive again, the rest of its jobs will have to be put on the back burner.

SAM_4401 - Copy (800x554).jpg

Looks good. I feel your pain. Most of the really hard work we do on theses rigs never gets seen by anyone. That's why it has to be a passion thing.Good luck with the move,hope to see updates sometime on your truck.

In a moment of weakness I decided to paint my stock wheels and reinstall a set of 33's. I felt very sacrilegious as sanded off the original chrome finish. Happy with the results and should be easy to maintain.

This is duplicolor hyper silver for those that are interested.

clh1GPU.jpg

1QkyJ0q.jpg

Finally got the 60 out of the garage and into some sunshine. Here are some pretty standard beach poser shots....a couple from this weekends adventures.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

In a moment of weakness I decided to paint my stock wheels and reinstall a set of 33's. I felt very sacrilegious as sanded off the original chrome finish. Happy with the results and should be easy to maintain.

clh1GPU.jpg

1QkyJ0q.jpg
Looks better than chrome IMHO:).

clh1GPU.jpg

Rustoleum Hammered Silver will give a similar color but is slightly textured. It's a paint that will also hold up well in this application.

Finally got the 60 out of the garage and into some sunshine. Here are some pretty standard beach poser shots....a couple from this weekends adventures.
View attachment 1239199

I love how clean the sides of the diesels are without the fender vents. Once I get my 5.3 swap done and start doing body work, I'm probably going to eliminate the side vents.

We won the Seattle Zoo "zoo doo" compost lottery for the second year in a row! Blue Guy saw more poop hauling duty (giant tarp inside of course). First drive in months, you can tell by all the saw dust covering it. hahaha
Now I just need to finish the gutters and install new lock strip (thanks @reevesci ).
26080335610_b4d6beb59e_z.jpg

26327248116_7b985db7f3_z.jpg

Finally got the 60 out of the garage and into some sunshine. Here are some pretty standard beach poser shots....
Are you sure? Alaskan beaches don't look like that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom