What did you do with your 60 this weekend? (18 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Nice job! Yeah, I went through the changing of the oil gasket two months ago. My biggest challenge was that the bolts were all different sizes from PO. And also some were stripped. Hard to get them off when they are up above the axle.

Second hardest part was getting the sealant to stick. I think I used some wood to hold the gasket in place while the RTV set. Then used some string to hold all the holes in place. Along with some long bolts to hold it in place while I tightened the other bolts.
Oil pan up and secure. Attached gasket to block first with some FIPG at the curves. Used the 8mm snap-ups. Worked great everything lined up. Easy one man job.

A3F261E1-B810-430A-94A0-3632BEEDECFA.jpeg

F42F0E73-06D8-4A08-8675-D8D1FA19989D.jpeg

Did a little design work with a friend on a front bumper...played rivet removal to be able to measure and plan. But had to put it all back together for camping next week.
Man, I love me some Japanese steel rivets!
Also trimmed u bolts while the grinder was strung out.

B331F5E4-3D96-40EB-8B7B-AFFD3C2FD63C.jpeg

00F8B7C2-F8DE-440D-88B2-CC441B02F4FB.jpeg

Finished refurbishing the two front mud flaps for my '86 FJ60. The rubber was peeling up and tearing badly on the back side, with a lot of corrosion on the metal underneath. I cut away the rubber in the areas with the corrosion and got it all cleaned up. I sprayed the areas that still had a little hard to remove rust with Extend Rust Neutralizer, then liberally brushed on Rust-Oleum Leak Seal rubber coating, the same material I used for touching up my fuel tank. Earlier I had cleaned and removed the rust on the metal brackets and painted them with VHT roll bar and chassis paint. Turned out pretty good.

Mudflaps-1.jpg

Mudflaps-2.jpg

I'll install them tomorrow then finish refurbishing the rear mud flaps.

After the mud flaps, all that's left to finish my '86 FJ60 is the Trail Tailor carpet install (Montoya's Upholstery in Bernalillo) and the custom exhaust section fabrication (Carmelito Mufflers in Chimayo) from the 3FE exhaust manifolds to the FJ60 catalytic converter, to eliminate the outboard exhaust pipe crossing under the frame rail. Those two projects can wait until after the Solid Axle Summit next month. But before we go to the SAS I have to torque the OME suspension bolts DONE and cut off the extra length of the U-bolts.

Last edited:
Installed my rebuilt rear third member with the new 4.88's.
20180714_152113.jpg

Thanks again @cruiseroutfit for getting me the right carrier bearings to make this happen.

I've only got about 50 miles on the new gears, but initial impressions are that the engine and transmission (3FE/A440 and 33's) feel way less stressed now, and the transmission gets into lockup way sooner and stays there now. I have noticed a 10 degree decrease in trans temp at the pan after running up a certain hill after the switch. Funny thing is it doesn't feel "faster" per se, but it sure feels happier. I have been taking it easy during break in of the gears and it was in the 90's today so AC and engine fan were running full-bore which is probably detracting from the overall feel of the change. I now run 2500 rpm at 67 mph where before 2500 was 80 mph. It feels very content and doesn't need near as much pedal at 60-65 even on grades now. I suspect this will result in an improvement in mileage.
Got my front tires rebalanced, and got the "new" front 3rd all tore down tonight and ready for reassembly with new bearings and 4.88's.

Really not that hard. Hair is shaved and cardboard mat doubled up. Actually a pretty comfy spot. Was able to clean journals from above pretty easily after I swapped the bendy straw from a WD40 bottle to the brake clean can too.

View attachment 1744400
Nice work!
The smell of that stuff! We use the same non-chlorinated stuff at work on the chance that it gets into an oil drain pan while working on something, any chlorine and the oil recyclers won't take the old oil. They test every drum. The same brand electrical contact cleaner is the same price, works dang near as good, dries faster and doesn't blast out so fast that the cans empty in 15 seconds.

Finished refurbishing the two front mud flaps for my '86 FJ60. The rubber was peeling up and tearing badly on the back side, with a lot of corrosion on the metal underneath. I cut away the rubber in the areas with the corrosion and got it all cleaned up. I sprayed the areas that still had a little hard to remove rust with Extend Rust Neutralizer, then liberally brushed on Rust-Oleum Leak Seal rubber coating, the same material I used for touching up my fuel tank. Earlier I had cleaned and removed the rust on the metal brackets and painted them with VHT roll bar and chassis paint. Turned out pretty good.

View attachment 1745302

View attachment 1745303

I'll install them tomorrow then finish refurbishing the rear mud flaps.

After the mud flaps, all that's left to finish my '86 FJ60 is the Trail Tailor carpet install (Montoya's Upholstery in Bernalillo) and the custom exhaust section fabrication (Carmelito Mufflers in Chimayo) from the 3FE exhaust manifolds to the FJ60 catalytic converter, to eliminate the outboard exhaust pipe crossing under the frame rail. Those two projects can wait until after the Solid Axle Summit next month. But before we go to the SAS I have to torque the OME suspension bolts and cut off the extra length of the U-bolts.

Just got through doing a very similar process myself. Since these are no longer available (except second hand), its nice to be able to refurbish the mudflaps!

Looks great !

Weighed a differential yesterday - 30 kg or 66 lbs.
That is good-to-know info, these kinds of questions always pop up. Thanks.

I'll remember to weigh the H41 that'll be going into my '71 FJ40. I can do that with my bathroom scales, when my wife's not looking. It'll be a different story when the split transfer case is attached. We had a nice industrial floor scale in our warehouse back when I was working, that would have come in handy. Any thoughts on how/where to weigh heavier items?

I installed the front leaf springs from a used Old Man Emu lift kit I picked up on Craigslist for $250 (leaf springs, greaseable shackles, steering stabilizer). The driver side fixed end pin did NOT want to come out. I beat the hell out of it with my BFH for awhile, then tried burning the bushings out with a propane torch. No love. Finally I went to work on it with a cut-off wheel and it was off like the prom queen's dress in about five minutes. The passenger side pin popped right out with no trouble at all.

The worst part of the whole job is where I did the work. We had 100+ degree temps here in L.A. this weekend and I had parked the rig on my asphalt driveway where it was in direct sun ALL DAY LONG. Dumb. The driver side took me all damn day Saturday and I had to take a break halfway through because I was giving myself heat-stroke and 3rd degree burns from laying down on the driveway. I tackled the passenger side Sunday afternoon and knocked it out in just a few hours. Practice makes perfect, I guess. I haven't measured it yet, but I definitely gained some height up front -- I figure 2 inches at least.

I'll do the rear springs in the evenings this week or next weekend. A buddy of mine is riding his motorcycle across Mojave Road soon and I'm going to chase him in the truck, so I want to have the lift done before then.

No pix yet; I'll post some when I've done the back end, but the rig is looking kind of goofy now with a reverse stinkbug thing going on. I felt like I was popping a wheelie when I took it around the block on a shakedown run.

I'll remember to weigh the H41 that'll be going into my '71 FJ40. I can do that with my bathroom scales, when my wife's not looking. It'll be a different story when the split transfer case is attached. We had a nice industrial floor scale in our warehouse back when I was working, that would have come in handy. Any thoughts on how/where to weigh heavier items?

No real guidance on weighing the heavy stuff. I have a range of scales, up to 100 kg, that I use in turtle research.

Truck stop scale?
Just eat the same breakfast!

Spent last week hanging around at one of my favorite places in the state (Long Beach, WA). Didn't have phone service most of the week and it was great to relax.

IMG_0427.jpg

My buddy brought friends and his XJ along for the week:

IMG_0454.jpg

Waking up, crocs make great camp shoes

IMG_0388.jpg

Sunset at the Cape, looking at the mouth of the Columbia

IMG_0626.jpg

Drove up to Salt Lake City airport from Moab to pick up my kids. So glad my AC works! Don't think I saw an older vehicle on road the whole trip. The 60 did just fine but it's apparent that I gotta spend a bunch of time and money on her soon. Clutch is getting week, trans makes an awful noise when idling in neutral. Got an exhaust leak at the manifold and she gets moody now and then when trying to accelerate. All in all she she is worth whatever it takes. I can't imagine a vehicle I'd rather have, but having a Vortec and H55 would be so nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom