What did you do with your 60 this weekend? (21 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Theres no vibrations or clunks to speak of. Its a 2" lift but Looks more because its fresh and what was on it previously was literally flat and dead. The Previous owner bought the truck in 1988 and had the underside coated. The leafs and shocks still had the undercoating on it.
It accelerates and drives as it did previously, with out the harshness when going over bumps. What signs would I need to look for besides vibrations or noises?
Would seem to me that Jason would have mentioned that if he felt it looked way off... ?Stick w/ it and see how it feels, don’t let us fools make you anxious.

Count me as one liking the look.

Finally installed the mudflaps that I cleaned up.

After taking them off about a month ago, I cleaned off all the rust ( where I could), taped up the plastic and rattlecanned them with rustoleoum to give them some more durability and life.

I then went a little crazy with some painters pens to touch up the old LANDCRUISER logo. Not sure if its sacrilegious, but I even decided to add the TOYOTA in white as well.

Used new hardware with new washer ( painted them black to match) and bought some butyl tape to help get the flaps up nice and tight on the fenders.

All in all, a nice little project. Digging how it turned out.

IMG_20180714_084659815_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180714_084713536_HDR.jpg

But check this out:

http://nebula.wsimg.com/66337d3bccb...D11DBE96C4AC9FA7E&disposition=0&alloworigin=1

I bought some A/C parts for my '86 FJ60 from them, give them a call.

Summit Racing shows the Denso unit in their catalog, with an estimated July 26th availability.
I actually bought my DENSO off of Amazon for $220 ( with free two day shipping). https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001UCEMZG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

No waiting required for my FJ62

Finally installed the mudflaps that I cleaned up.

After taking them off about a month ago, I cleaned off all the rust ( where I could), taped up the plastic and rattlecanned them with rustoleoum to give them some more durability and life.

I then went a little crazy with some painters pens to touch up the old LANDCRUISER logo. Not sure if its sacrilegious, but I even decided to add the TOYOTA in white as well.

Used new hardware with new washer ( painted them black to match) and bought some butyl tape to help get the flaps up nice and tight on the fenders.

All in all, a nice little project. Digging how it turned out.

View attachment 1743956

View attachment 1743957
I like the white lettering. It always looks good!

Warmed up the cruiser and drove it around. The fusible link broke when i checking the terminals.. need to get a replacement.

After days of frustration, finally got the oil pan off. I used the bottle jack method with long 2x4 but only the passenger side broke free. I ended up pulling down on the front edge and using a heat gun to loosen up the front edge on the driver side and was able to use the SST to split it away from the block. I still ended up pushing in part of the pan with the bottle jack. I guess my 2x4 was a little soft. I was able to push most of it back out with homemade tool and wood blocks. Removed and cleaned up old gasket and cleaned and painted pan, ready for installation tomorrow.

71D750C8-33FE-4B32-80E9-E24036034832.jpeg

4570B40D-7288-430A-A3B8-4A13767B150C.jpeg

Fresh brand new #3 and 2 cam bearings installed. Engine in situ.
#3 cam journal hole has two passenges that need to be lined up correct w/ the bearing. One at 12p for the oil feed to top end and one about 4:30 for feed to crank or from crank. 12p is perfect, 4:30 has 3/4th of hole lined up. First photo shows both visible, 4:30 in mirror and 12p straight on. I’m going with it. That chore was highly stressful.
#2 cam journal hole only has one passenge that needs to be lined up correct which feeds to crank or from crank. Seen in second photo.

13330CB2-C18D-4768-8DF4-727B1DB5E0AC.jpeg

BC9AA5C1-DAEF-4E09-8BC0-ED8DFC9DA827.jpeg

Last edited:
Wow. Nice going.

A lot of work to do from below!

I'm thinking about the dirt and the oil-in-hair and sore shoulders. Impressive to say the least.

Fingers crossed for you.

After days of frustration, finally got the oil pan off. I used the bottle jack method with long 2x4 but only the passenger side broke free. I ended up pulling down on the front edge and using a heat gun to loosen up the front edge on the driver side and was able to use the SST to split it away from the block. I still ended up pushing in part of the pan with the bottle jack. I guess my 2x4 was a little soft. I was able to push most of it back out with homemade tool and wood blocks. Removed and cleaned up old gasket and cleaned and painted pan, ready for installation tomorrow.

View attachment 1744208

View attachment 1744221
Nice job! Yeah, I went through the changing of the oil gasket two months ago. My biggest challenge was that the bolts were all different sizes from PO. And also some were stripped. Hard to get them off when they are up above the axle.

Second hardest part was getting the sealant to stick. I think I used some wood to hold the gasket in place while the RTV set. Then used some string to hold all the holes in place. Along with some long bolts to hold it in place while I tightened the other bolts.

Wow. Nice going.

A lot of work to do from below!

I'm thinking about the dirt and the oil-in-hair and sore shoulders. Impressive to say the least.

Fingers crossed for you.
Really not that hard. Hair is shaved and cardboard mat doubled up. Actually a pretty comfy spot. Was able to clean journals from above pretty easily after I swapped the bendy straw from a WD40 bottle to the brake clean can too.

31BF8E7F-4FD4-4127-81F7-E80BFC81AA4E.jpeg

Swapped out the rear diff in the tan 60. Stripped down a front FJ62 axle and used that low mileage and tight diff. Been running 4.11s in both FJ60s for years.

Looking to get rid of the 62 axle housing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom