What did you do on your 70 series today? (23 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My door saga is concluded. I ordered two, "brand new" take-off doors from Cruiser Parts last year while the 75 was in Kelly Saad's shop getting some major body work done. They showed up, packed so the actual brand new door was on the outside of the pallette. It looked great so I left it for 6 months while the 75 got finished up. Well, the passenger's door was perfect–brand new–and the driver door looked like it was on a Aussie demolition derby ute. So thrashed, cracked, and busted beyond repair.

Cruiser Parts just waffled and never followed through with a matching door–all the doors they sent me to approve as replacements were thrashed.

I got a contact from Sulli–Dan up in Canada–who sorted me with a much nicer driver's door. Thanks, Dan! I had to rebuild it with parts from that thrashed door from CP (scissor lift, glass, etc) but it buttoned up nicely.

I'm amazed at this community. @OGBeno, Sulli, Dan, Ophir all lent a hand. Thank you, gentlemen.

I got the door centered with that nifty Toyota S-bend door bolt wrench but this door is slightly bent at the bottom left, so I'll be "cold setting" that back at my buddy's body shop here in town...

IMG_2902.JPG

Picked up the seats and door cards from the upholstery shop yesterday:
IMG_20231215_091246701.jpg

IMG_20231215_091243877.jpg

IMG_20231215_180859468.jpg

The brown on the back panel isn't quite original, but I actually like it that more maroon.

Door cards are built up on aluminium sheet so they won't rot if they get wet, unlike masonite. Some tweaks to the stitching to make them easier to make, and also just sit more evenly.

IMG_20231216_075413475.jpg

IMG_20231216_075420030.jpg

This is a good hurry up to get on with the rest of it.

I work weird hours and I’m bad with deadlines sometimes, so I thought that the inspection was 9 months overdue on my 74. I went to the DMV to sheepishly renew it… And the girl behind the counter goes, “uhhhhh, you’re actively registered until March 2024”… I had actually gotten it inspected and just never switched my sticker. $6.50 and one new sticker later, and I’m no longer living in shame and fear of my local police department.

driverless feature

they would have to bury me in that thing

My door saga is concluded. I ordered two, "brand new" take-off doors from Cruiser Parts last year while the 75 was in Kelly Saad's shop getting some major body work done. They showed up, packed so the actual brand new door was on the outside of the pallette. It looked great so I left it for 6 months while the 75 got finished up. Well, the passenger's door was perfect–brand new–and the driver door looked like it was on a Aussie demolition derby ute. So thrashed, cracked, and busted beyond repair.

Cruiser Parts just waffled and never followed through with a matching door–all the doors they sent me to approve as replacements were thrashed.

I got a contact from Sulli–Dan up in Canada–who sorted me with a much nicer driver's door. Thanks, Dan! I had to rebuild it with parts from that thrashed door from CP (scissor lift, glass, etc) but it buttoned up nicely.

I'm amazed at this community. @OGBeno, Sulli, Dan, Ophir all lent a hand. Thank you, gentlemen.

I got the door centered with that nifty Toyota S-bend door bolt wrench but this door is slightly bent at the bottom left, so I'll be "cold setting" that back at my buddy's body shop here in town...

View attachment 3507630
Looking good, dude! She’s clean as now 😍👌

What the heck is a "high grade" speedometer? Is it somehow more accurate than a "normal grade" speedometer? 🤔 🙄 Or is it maybe just more optimistic??

I'm not even talk about the "cruiser cotrol" lol

I have to admit, the new style is growing on me, and I do like the 4 door truck style, but I wish they would offer different length wheelbases for different length truck boxes. Like in NA, we can get 2 or even 3 different lengths of truck boxes in our domestic market trucks.

Started replacing my radiator today. Replace the rotten original with a cheap $140 from China aluminum 4 years ago. Rust and other stuff in the coolant system kept clogging the AC heat servo valve. Flush numerous times and finally resorted to a vinegar flush. Cheap china radiator was too thin for the vinegar flush. Stop leak to fix the leak and finally blew out.

So a cheap channel aluminum radiator got me four years. Worth it in my book. Due to Bidenomics replacement was $280 but did come with mounting flanges that would work with the factory radiator supports that unfortunately I no longer have. We'll have to fabricate new ones tomorrow. If I get 4 years out of this one I'll be happy.

IMG20231217190639.jpg

What the heck is a "high grade" speedometer? Is it somehow more accurate than a "normal grade" speedometer? 🤔 🙄 Or is it maybe just more optimistic??

I'm not even talk about the "cruiser cotrol" lol

I have to admit, the new style is growing on me, and I do like the 4 door truck style, but I wish they would offer different length wheelbases for different length truck boxes. Like in NA, we can get 2 or even 3 different lengths of truck boxes in our domestic market trucks.
High grade speedometer = one that goes up to 200km/h 😆

How do I know this? Engrish is my second language 😂

Buy cruiser supposedly restored
Dump tons of money into it
Sell
Negative profit
Get another, start painful cycle again

Seems about right 😂
Yep, you hit the nail on the head however I plan to make up for the loses with volume. 🤣

Last edited:
Productive last several days at the shelter. Finished building that @2fpower inspired cubby spot for the 73. I'll post a few more pictures of the build in the 73's thread. Then spent the weekend on the 77 1HZ rebuild. Cooling, IP/fuel lines, manifold/turbo, exhaust, AC/Alt....etc.. Less and less dime bags of nuts/bolts every time we wrench on it. I routed the harness incorrectly. Need to pull those electrical connections and re-do when my hands heal from this last session. Have a stock example of a 1HZ right in the driveway and I didn't look. PITA. Hope to work on getting the intercooler re-installed this week.

Cubbies! Built to fit two FRO flat packs I move from rig to rig as needed. Covered my so-so woodworking with my so-so carpeting! Added some leftover Dry-Dek from a sauna build to the bottom. It'll work. Screw having more than one passenger. Get an Uber.
IMG_9488.JPG

IMG_9511.JPG

Painted the exhaust manifold with Slip Plate like hot rod guys. Curious to see how it holds up.

IMG_9512.JPG

Good time to replace clips and clamps since they come with free shipping when you order a metric sh1tton of other heavier parts from far away places.

IMG_9513.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom