What did you do on your 70 series today? (31 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

358321436_6560051357422645_4976205037551936835_n.jpg

My very first fluid change on the 75. When I pulled the level plug on the transfer case, a significant amount of oil came out. About one litre I would say. How is that possible? Only explanation i can think of is that it's not the level plug. Although i'm pretty sure that it is. What do you say? Upper arrow is level and other one is drain or am I crazy?

Did a minor ground strap replacement. The original might not have been doing its job any longer …..

IMG_0146.jpeg
IMG_0289.jpeg
IMG_0290.jpeg
IMG_0291.jpeg

Oil is migrating from the transmission into the transfer. Check the transmission level. It's almost certainly low, by at least the excess that came out of the transfer fill port.

Picked this up yesterday. No major body rust and everything looked relatively clean. AC did a great job on the 100 mile drive home during a heat advisory. Impressed so far! Love the three piece wheels and the wooden steering wheel it came with.

Prado.jpg
Prado 2.jpg
Prado 3.jpg

Where does everyone look for parts? I can find most things but the seals between the fenders/body look worse for wear and want to get those ordered. Can't seem to find the fronts if anyone knows where to look.

Just replaced my leaf spring bushes as the ones I fitted during build have failed. Pretty disappointed with them actually as I have only done about 6000KM with them.
I have only used about 8-10 non genuine parts on the whole build and I think they have all failed now and they were from a reputable 4x4 company too.
All genuine now though. Reconfirms how good genuine Toyota parts are.

IMG_5091.jpg

IMG_5102.jpg

IMG_5105.jpg

Did a little ranch work.

IMG_1157.jpeg
IMG_1169.jpeg
IMG_1170.jpeg

replaced all steering rod ends with 555 stuff, set steering stops, tightened all steering arm bolts and ubolts, adjusted steering center point, set toe-in
went for shakedown
IMG_20230630_215632~2[1].jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20230630_203857~2[1].jpg
    IMG_20230630_203857~2[1].jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 25
View attachment 3387411
My very first fluid change on the 75. When I pulled the level plug on the transfer case, a significant amount of oil came out. About one litre I would say. How is that possible? Only explanation i can think of is that it's not the level plug. Although i'm pretty sure that it is. What do you say? Upper arrow is level and other one is drain or am I crazy?
Strange.

All I can think of is either it was last filled with the truck leaning a certain way, or they used a power feed and quickly replgued it, or a combination of the above exasperated by a high temp inspection. But what I am sure of is that I don't know 😆

Strange.

All I can think of is either it was last filled with the truck leaning a certain way, or they used a power feed and quickly replgued it, or a combination of the above exasperated by a high temp inspection. But what I am sure of is that I don't know 😆
its the seal between the transmission and transfer case

It runs!

7B9CFDA5-CF7D-4FB1-A861-6BC822F873C7.jpeg

Had a few simple issues in the beginning but all have since been solved. Still need to tidy up the vacuum system and figure out a better system for my throttle cable. It’s a whooping 10 inches long.

Otherwise I ended up modifying my old carb heat shield thing to become my adapter. All I did was tap it and voila. Gives it a cleaner look as there’s no noticeable adapter.

IMG_7432.jpeg

Next up is the jumble of brake system improvements aka FJ80 booster, T100 master, 4Runner calipers, and brake lines.

View attachment 3387411

What happened when you removed the transmission fill plug?

Did you have any over flow from it before you drained the transmission?

Assuming you followed same procedure you did on Xfer case and pulled the fill before the drain plugs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom