What did you do on your 70 series today? (19 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

There are a lot of turbo diesel engines here in the USA to choose from. The appeal of the 1VD-FTV is more because it is made by Toyota and we can't have it here legally.

That being said....a 73/74 with that 1VD-FTV would be awesome.
I know that laws that are written by politicians (lawyers) are never meant to be understood by us layman but is the 1VD ”illegal“ or simply “untested” by the EPA. I assume, perhaps incorrectly, that if the engine can pass Euro-5 standards, it could also pass U.S. standards.

Last edited:
I know that laws that are written by politicians (lawyers) are never meant to be understood by us layman’s but is the 1VD ”illegal“ or simply “untested” by the EPA. I assume, perhaps incorrectly, that if the engine can pass Euro-5 standards, it could also pass U.S. standards.

Well the way I understand it. EPA's answer is: Untested = illegal

I am not seeing many businesses doing 1VD swaps either except for Diesel Toyz here in San Antonio. They did a Tundra and Sequoia so perhaps somehow they did it legally???

I am not seeing many businesses doing 1VD swaps either except for Diesel Toyz here in San Antonio. They did a Tundra and Sequoia so perhaps somehow they did it legally???

A non-US-compliant engine less than 21-years-old is not road legal.

There are a lot of turbo diesel engines here in the USA to choose from. The appeal of the 1VD-FTV is more because it is made by Toyota and we can't have it here legally.

That being said....a 73/74 with that 1VD-FTV would be awesome.

We are building an 1HDFT for a 73/74, 25lbs of boost. It won’t suck in the slightest. 😉

Cheers

Ask Torfab how that went. 🙄

Cheers

We are building an 1HDFT for a 73/74, 25lbs of boost. It won’t suck in the slightest. 😉

Cheers

fzja.gif

Ask Torfab how that went. 🙄

Cheers
I would ask you to share the details but it appears Diesel Toys has very little reviews, positive or negative. To me that is a red flag for a business that has been around as long they have.

FF173DBA-455E-4CA8-9C33-E3C1DCEED219.jpeg

Took BJ73 ‘Hoodoo’ to Easter Jeep Safari for her first outing on the rocks last week. We were the only non Jeep on our 3 days of trails. All the Jeeps were on 35s or bigger tires, our 31s pulled along by the Cummins R2.8 did the job without the slightest fuss.

View attachment 2983560
Took BJ73 ‘Hoodoo’ to Easter Jeep Safari for her first outing on the rocks last week. We were the only non Jeep on our 3 days of trails. All the Jeeps were on 35s or bigger tires, our 31s pulled along by the Cummins R2.8 did the job without the slightest fuss.
Great looking MWB cruiser! I would have loved to have seen it in person down there. We were in Moab as well but not part of anything official Jeep Safari. Looks like you went out to Chicken Corners?

...is the 1VD ”illegal“ or simply “untested” by the EPA. I assume, perhaps incorrectly, that if the engine can pass Euro-5 standards, it could also pass U.S. standards.

For a motor to be legal for use in the US, it must be certified by the EPA or exempt from EPA regulations. The 1VD is neither. Certification is a process prescribed by EPA that is presumably only undertaken by manufacturers when they can justify the expense and hassle of it based on projected sales volume and other factors.

The details of how to EPA certify a motor are here:

The information linked above seems to be targeted at manufacturers, but I haven't dug deeply enough into it to ascertain whether the process could be undertaken by an individual or small business.

And, yes, the outcome would probably be preordained. That is, it would probably pass U.S. emissions standards.

Edit: I see that ICI's (Independent Commercial Importers) can probably do it. More info here:

Again, I haven't dug into the weeds of this stuff, but it seems plausible, though likely prohibitively expensive.

Last edited:
For a motor to be legal for use in the US, it must be certified by the EPA or exempt from EPA regulations. The 1VD is neither. Certification is a process prescribed by EPA that it's presumably only undertaken by manufacturers when they can justify the expense and hassle of it based on projected sales volume and other factors.

The details of how to EPA certify a motor are here:

The information linked above seems to be targeted at manufacturers, but I haven't dug deeply enough into it to ascertain whether the process could be undertaken by an individual or small business.

And, yes, the outcome would probably be preordained. That is, it would probably pass U.S. emissions standards.

Edit: I see that ICI's (Independent Commercial Importers) can probably do it. More info here:

Again, I haven't dug into the weeds of this stuff, but it seems plausible, though likely prohibitively expensive.
Doesn’t seem worth the effort. 😊
Thankfully there’s the 1HZ or if you had deep enough pockets, perhaps a Duramax V8.

Last edited:
Speaking of deep pockets, Diesel Toys must have discovered a “work-around”. 😊
Here is your answer. I forgot about the disclaimer they have.

How do I register my conversion in my state?​

Every state has different laws regarding emissions testing and procedures. What’s legal in Texas may not be legal in Kansas etc. Many folks email us starting with “I read on the internet that I cant register my conversion here in…”. In the 12+ years we’ve been converting vehicles, we have NEVER had a customer unable to legally register their conversion. Regarding EPA certification: a popular myth is that because an engine is not sold in this country it automatically fails. This is patently FALSE. A NON-EPA certified engine simply means that it has not been certified by the EPA and may be subject to emissions testing (where applicable). Now, if it fails the emissions test, then it WILL need to be brought into compliance (sometimes at considerable expense). Bottom line, if you are concerned about legality and registerability for ON-HIGHWAY USE, we always recommend that you check with your local and state offices to determine legality. Diesel Toys DOES NOT imply legality and offers conversion services “FOR OFF-ROAD USE ONLY”.

I was under the impression that legal importation of a non-compliant engine is not possible in the first place. Of course I could be mistaken.

On the other hand I could see their position being logical to a US-produced non-compliant engine as it would not be subjected to the import process.

Here is your answer. I forgot about the disclaimer they have.

How do I register my conversion in my state?​

Every state has different laws regarding emissions testing and procedures. What’s legal in Texas may not be legal in Kansas etc. Many folks email us starting with “I read on the internet that I cant register my conversion here in…”. In the 12+ years we’ve been converting vehicles, we have NEVER had a customer unable to legally register their conversion. Regarding EPA certification: a popular myth is that because an engine is not sold in this country it automatically fails. This is patently FALSE. A NON-EPA certified engine simply means that it has not been certified by the EPA and may be subject to emissions testing (where applicable). Now, if it fails the emissions test, then it WILL need to be brought into compliance (sometimes at considerable expense). Bottom line, if you are concerned about legality and registerability for ON-HIGHWAY USE, we always recommend that you check with your local and state offices to determine legality. Diesel Toys DOES NOT imply legality and offers conversion services “FOR OFF-ROAD USE ONLY”.

This is wrong and/or misleading on many levels. Registering a car in any given state is a completely separate issue from Federal EPA compliance. A car, motor, or emissions system can be in violation of Federal law and still meet all the requirements laid out by a State for local registration. It's analogous to the situation currently with "legalized" weed: Legal in some states, but still a Federal crime, and you can be prosecuted for it.

Every state has different laws regarding emissions testing and procedures.
True, but irrelevant as regards EPA compliance. Again, EPA is Federal, State emissions requirements are local.

Regarding EPA certification: a popular myth is that because an engine is not sold in this country it automatically fails. This is patently FALSE.
Sure. Agreed. A motor that is not sold in the US may indeed pass an emissions test administered by a State agency. So what? But that's irrelevant to that motor's EPA compliance and thus it's Federal legal status.

A NON-EPA certified engine simply means that it has not been certified by the EPA and may be subject to emissions testing (where applicable).
Yes, a non-EPA certified engine means it has not been certified by the EPA. Of course. That's a tautology. Self evident. But it has more significance than merely meaning that the motor is subject to emissions testing where applicable. Not being EPA certified renders a motor Federally illegal for use (and quite possibly makes it contraband in the eyes of the Federal government).

if you are concerned about legality and registerability for ON-HIGHWAY USE, we always recommend that you check with your local and state offices to determine legality.
No, those are the wrong agencies to consult. As previously stated, your local and state offices have no jurisdiction over the regulations of the Federal government, in this case, the EPA. What's legal to the States can be (and in this case is) illegal to the Federal government.

Diesel Toys DOES NOT imply legality and offers conversion services “FOR OFF-ROAD USE ONLY”.
Their lawyer didn't even get this part right. lol... Good effort to make the disclaimer "DOES NOT imply legality", but "FOR OFF ROAD USE ONLY", even if written in all caps, doesn't satisfy EPA regulations.

I was under the impression that legal importation of a non-compliant engine is not possible in the first place.
Non compliant engines can be imported:

1. Temporarily, under certain circumstances.
2. By an ICI for testing/certification
3. By an OEM for testing/certification

I think that's it.

Edit: I forgot "racing vehicles, as determined by the EPA".

I was under the impression that legal importation of a non-compliant engine is not possible in the first place. Of course I could be mistaken.

On the other hand I could see their position being logical to a US-produced non-compliant engine as it would not be subjected to the import process.
I’m not sure the people that write government documents even understand the gibberish they are writing so there’s that. 😊
If the folks at Diesel Toys are concerned, it’s not evident based on the number of YouTube videos they produce detailing their work ( and the engines they use). 😁

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom