What did you do on your 70 series today? (23 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hung out in the desert with some of my closest friends for my birthday and our buddies from Tucson came up in their newly 1HZ-swapped FJ75.

40thBirthday-36.jpg

40thBirthday-37.jpg

Not sure they know anything about it.

Got around to checking the valves. Smoother start and run.

Next:
- Weighing out options of the big head gasket job. Scant options for getting hold of a head to work on in parallel - may need to use what I have, and hope for minimal cracks. Presuming for machine work, precups, and bolts included to shore up the old girl.

- Brakes. Ordered new rear brake kit from @cruiseroutfit - not sure if I'm chasing ghosts, but looking to get them rehabbed before heading to SAS later this year. Can't rely on my ebrake the whole time .... amiright? Maybe I can flag down one of the 70s I'm now seeing in Boulder to compare braking to.

Got to put the trucks to work today......light duty to say the least.

20210429_182526.jpeg

Another road trip on the BJ73. Ran 2.5 hours to the mountains 90% at 65-70mph. 4 days later the same trip home. Running Air con both ways. 3B turbo doesn't like the long interstate hills at 65+mph. On the small 2 lane highways that have much steeper hills it is too much to hold 55 sometimes. EGT's spiking 750C at times. Water temperature never went above mid guage. I'm going to get a larger more high flow radiator fan and tweek my shroud a bit at some point. No matter LC made it both ways without issue other than sometimes being slower on hills than a newer vehicle. Probably put 2K miles on her in the past 6 weeks. Still have a little leak on AC that I have to chase down.

Another road trip on the BJ73. Ran 2.5 hours to the mountains 90% at 65-70mph. 4 days later the same trip home. Running Air con both ways. 3B turbo doesn't like the long interstate hills at 65+mph. On the small 2 lane highways that have much steeper hills it is too much to hold 55 sometimes. EGT's spiking 750C at times. Water temperature never went above mid guage. I'm going to get a larger more high flow radiator fan and tweek my shroud a bit at some point. No matter LC made it both ways without issue other than sometimes being slower on hills than a newer vehicle. Probably put 2K miles on her in the past 6 weeks. Still have a little leak on AC that I have to chase down.

Some of those interstate hills on 40 are tough on my 1HZ turbo too, and there is one section of 226A climbing to Little Switzerland that has a 14.9% grade; it's absolute murder.

Last edited:
Some of those interstate hills on 40 are tough on my 1HZ turbo too, and there is one section of 226A climbing to Little Switzerland that has a 14.9% grade; it's absolute murder.
I was on I74 mostly and running 67-72mph by gps with the air on. 62-65mph on the interstate and it's good to go. If I switch the AC compressor off on the uphill it helps substantially..........On the smaller state highways with much steeper hills and a 55mph speed the steep hills hurt. It's not ridiculous, but I cannot keep up with modern gasoline vehicles making the same trip. I have my guage alarm set at 720C. It starts beeping and I estimate if I can crest the hill before 750C. I back off a bit and try my best...............................This BJ73 is not going to be my "forever vehicle" I have figured that out already. I'll keep enjoying it until It's time to move on.

Y'all got I40 out there too?! On this side it doubles as historic Route 66 route.

Y'all got I40 out there too?! On this side it doubles as historic Route 66 route.
Yup coast to coast, from Barstow, CA to where I live in Wilmington, NC. Gonna get a picture infront of this sign in Barstow when I take my troopy across the coutry with some buddies of mine.

1619839722881.png

Rode some of the trails in Uwharrie for the first time this year. Good day for it. Raining so the easy trails were a bit slick and offering a good challenge. Alot of people out today as a Overland Expo of some type was going on at the neighboring off road park.

Last time at uwharrie I didn't air down or disconnect the sway bar to make it more challenging. I broke one of my front locking hubs so I actually spent half the day in 3 wheel drive(I have a locker in the front). There were some obstacles I couldn't do. Today I aired down disconnected and of course had good 4wd. Walked through everything.

A couple people had a bad day. Came across someone's rig that burned to the ground and was still smoldering(durango I think?). Perhaps I should have a fire extenguisher in my LC?? Those with gasoline engines and lots of MOD's should really consider it.........One guys very built toyota Pickup parked on the trail unattended started to roll away. It ran over the drivers wife and off into the woods and rolled over. .........Maybe I need to tighten my parking brake cable? Make sure I leave it in gear. Don't leave my little boy in the truck when I park it on a hill where he may climb around and knock it out of gear? Keep my little boy who doesn't see potential danger and my wife focused on her phone taking pictures not paying attention to what is around her the heck out of everyone/danger's path................Come dark I see a cut up clapped out cherokee "attacking the trails" like a baja runner. I hear a tree/rock collision through the woods and then the open exhaust roaring and he's off again.................Everyone be careful of your surroundings, the people out wheeling, and keep your less vigilant company and passengers safe.

That doesn’t sound like a fun place to go wheeling. I go out to get away from it all.

Cheers

Installed a burnout simulator yesterday ... 😁
View attachment 2655886

Well, I actually tried to remove the old undercoating from the wheel housings..
The stream gun was not successful, but the industrial high pressure washer got most of the stuff off. Rest will go with anglegrinder and brush. Little rust only, but needs to be treated...
View attachment 2655887

I burn it with a torch and then wire wheel it off. Comes off pretty easy that way, toxic AF so wear a respirator.

Toyota sprayed the wheel wells with seam sealer. You can buy body seam sealer in spray able form. It is far superior to any undercoating.

Cheers

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back
    Top Bottom