What did you do on your 70 series today? (29 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Normal spring maintenance. Stone chip repair with epoxy primer, acrylic paint and stone chip protecton for lower parts of the body and doors. Also added some cavity wax.

And I also changed tires. Looks much nicer with Toyo MT's than with those Nokian Hakkapeliitta's. Tomorrow I will change oils to transmission, transfer case and axles.

View attachment 2645390
You repainted your fenders as part of normal spring maintenance? Or just touch up painting?

You repainted your fenders as part of normal spring maintenance? Or just touch up painting?
Just touch up painting and stone chip protection to prevent damage from flying gravel. I painted Cruiser year ago but here is pretty hard conditions (wide range of temperatures, salted roads etc.) some maintenance is needed especially with 30 year old japanese car. :D

A habit I picked up when the pandemic started was eating my lunch in the cruiser on the days I drive it to work. I do this in other cars also so it isn't just a cruiser thing.

Now that the Texas heat is creeping up also, I am back to using the reflective shades on the windshield/front windows to cut down on the heat. This has given me a cool, dark place to enjoy my lunch, browse the phone and even take a quick nap before I go back to the office. I kinda like it.

So far I have been really impressed with how much heat they block out but the windshield portion can be PITA to put up with the crappy suction cups. I am getting better at it though.

IMG_4695.jpg

A habit I picked up when the pandemic started was eating my lunch in the cruiser on the days I drive it to work. I do this in other cars also so it isn't just a cruiser thing.

Now that the Texas heat is creeping up also, I am back to using the reflective shades on the windshield/front windows to cut down on the heat. This has given me a cool, dark place to enjoy my lunch, browse the phone and even take a quick nap before I go back to the office. I kinda like it.

So far I have been really impressed with how much heat they block out but the windshield portion can be PITA to put up with the crappy suction cups. I am getting better at it though.

View attachment 2646275
The part where you said “take a quick nap” got my attention. 😁

You would be surprised how beneficial it is, even if it is just for 10 mins.
Lunch and meeting naps are a Japanese tradition. Although in meetings, you are more in standby rather than sleep. Incredible how some guys can just up and answer a question when I SWEAR they were fully asleep the whole time before that....

I washed mine. 👍

Used it to haul a looong load of steel home. Ridiculous how much steel has gone up in the last year. I purchased a 20 foot stick of 2.5sq. .120 wall last year for about $60, this year that same stick is $180!

IMG_20210415_151111718_HDR.jpg

Just touch up painting and stone chip protection to prevent damage from flying gravel. I painted Cruiser year ago but here is pretty hard conditions (wide range of temperatures, salted roads etc.) some maintenance is needed especially with 30 year old japanese car. :D
What system are you using for chip protection?

@FJBen .... “Ready for gates belt beat down”
——————————————————————-
I survived those insults as will you. 😀
You are invited to the next “Gates Anonymous” group meeting. I have found that they really help.
5069782D-5F7E-4B72-9B13-CED9D6457261.jpeg

Last edited:
Progress, Probabaly going to start the 70 series joy of filling it up later tonight after my

games.

View attachment 2647324

Ready for gates belt beat down:rofl:

still haven’t found oem intake hose either so using just a thick hose.

no hood insulator

heresy.

Weak sauce. Real men go OEM. :lol:

Really putting some miles on the bj-73 lately. Another 3-hour trip yesterday with an hour plus on the interstate at 70 mph. Another hour plus to the coast today and back all seems well. At best my extra grip recaps are getting quieter and the bj73 is becoming more comfortable, or perhaps side effects from the covid vaccine are numbing my senses.
Looked at some waterfront property for sale on the coast. My cheap OG 637 XO rust paint job is looking a little bit better after cut and buff round two. She blends in nicely with the coastal woods.

IMG_20210416_170520.jpg

Really putting some miles on the bj-73 lately. Another 3-hour trip yesterday with an hour plus on the interstate at 70 mph. Another hour plus to the coast today and back all seems well. At best my extra grip recaps are getting quieter and the bj73 is becoming more comfortable, or perhaps side effects from the covid vaccine are numbing my senses.
Looked at some waterfront property for sale on the coast. My cheap OG 637 XO rust paint job is looking a little bit better after cut and buff round two. She blends in nicely with the coastal woods.

View attachment 2647748

Dig this color. Nice rig.

What's with those hose clamps? :rolleyes:
Well, could be worse...my engine bay is a complete hodgepodge of hose clamps: factory Toyota, generic metric and SAE, VW spring clamps, T-bolt clamps, etc. Someday I'll have all one type for each application, but that's way down on the priority list!

What system are you using for chip protection?
Dinitrol 441. It was most easily found in white.
---
I went on my first day trip today this spring to a friend to look at his new forest farm (or what’s the right word for a privately owned forest?) and give some advice on forestry work. It was really nice to drive a Cruiser after the winter. I drove in the winter mostly with my J**p (XJ) because it's a good victim for road salt. :rofl:

IMG_20210417_151441m.jpg

Dinitrol 441. It was most easily found in white.
---
I went on my first day trip today this spring to a friend to look at his new forest farm (or what’s the right word for a privately owned forest?) and give some advice on forestry work. It was really nice to drive a Cruiser after the winter. I drove in the winter mostly with my J**p (XJ) because it's a good victim for road salt. :rofl:

View attachment 2648061
I have a 73. The little short wheelbase 70 has got to "out jeep" a jeep. Jeeps newer than the old CJ's are so wide with those wide axles. I find my 73' with lunchbox lockers to be a lot more maneuverable and capable than new "big jeeps" with manual/air lockers that push/slide don't want to turn.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom