What did you do on your 70 series today? (30 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Good thing you don't have a 2UZ motor.....

I changed the starter on my 1UZ a few weeks back & I'd prefer that to some side mounted starters I've had to wrestle out of a dirty greasy prison of engine paraphenalia. The 1UZ intake+injectors etc comes off mostly as one unit once you have the knack.

This week's job has been a polesaw mount:

i-tm3q5X3-L.jpg

Next weekend we are helping with some trail maintenance on the 42 Traverse down near Tongariro. The polesaw has been super effective for clearing back the scrub during previous working bees down there but is too long to fit in the swb without breaking it down & removing the bar & chain.

Cheers
Clint

I had mine apart to put the locker in the front end and the grease and all looked really good. I did notice there are NPT plugs 3/8" approx. in the top of the knuckles. I'm thinking about putting grease fittings on these so I can pump them full of clean grease with a grease gun maybe once a year, or after a extreme 4wheeling session. Did you see these on yours?
Yep, saw them on mine too. Was puzzled at what they were exactly haha.

New voltage:
20201117_150141.jpg

Yep, saw them on mine too. Was puzzled at what they were exactly haha.

Doesn't the 40, 55 and 62 in your sig line have the same plugs in the knuckles or are we talking something completely different? Just curious.

Doesn't the 40, 55 and 62 in your sig line have the same plugs in the knuckles or are we talking something completely different? Just curious.
Yes, I belive they do from memory

RHD or LHD ? I have wheeled and traveled all over Europe back in the day with 2LT powered LJ73's and never had any issues , I have a LJ73 here in Texas now on 33's that I use as a shop/around town cruiser and even at 330 k km that little 2LT runs flawless , the jdm models have a bunch of emmision crap on them that kills these prematurely , the European spec not .

Yeah, I'm speaking from experience with many friends that have had JDM L engines crap out around 200,000km with blown heads. HiAce, HiLux, Surf, etc. Light-duty cars. Engines were maintained and running fresh fluids. YMMV of course. I know Fit Garage sees a lot of LJ Prados in with blown engines looking for solutions.

Yeah, I'm speaking from experience with many friends that have had JDM L engines crap out around 200,000km with blown heads. HiAce, HiLux, Surf, etc. Light-duty cars. Engines were maintained and running fresh fluids. YMMV of course. I know Fit Garage sees a lot of LJ Prados in with blown engines looking for solutions.

I think the JDM models have a 100% fail rate for the early 90s 2LTE cylinder heads. All the ones imported to Canada starting around 2005 either came with cracked heads already, or had the cracked head replaced in Japan before hand. So many people had their hopes crushed upon arrival of their otherwise nice 70 series.

Main problem is the Japanese just kept driving them with cracked heads (topping up with 100% water) and it took a toll on the rest of the motor....(like water rusting and pitting cylinder bores...). When it got bad enough they went to auction and were exported to us poor suckers.

It's definitely true that the emissions stuff aggravated the problem which is why some of the Euro models last longer. But it's also true the next rev cylinder head part number is much much better.

They kept making the 2LTE until around 2002 in trucks like the LN165. Those newer models didn't have issues and are pretty reliable.

In any case, if a person can do their own wrenching a bad cylinder head isn't the end of the world. Weekend of wrenching to replace one. Out about $2k. Then keep on truck'in.

I had the day off, trying to burn off some PTO before the year is over.

I had a can of pickle beer in my fridge and finally got around to trying it. Not a repeat item for me.

8D3CB265-FFDE-4435-9A9A-729DB337B353.jpeg

Afterwards, I decided to wash the 77.

B77CC1F1-6DC4-4EFC-8983-664AF25A8090.jpeg

After the 77 dried off, I decided to try out the 70 series rack system from Australia designed for the 76 series.

It is a pretty nice set up and easy to install but I am still undecided if I want to use it for a rtt. My next year plans is to camp more solo so I need to get a tent up there eventually.

B278384A-3719-4EE1-9CF0-CC755BCBFD78.jpeg

40FC142F-199C-48E1-8164-599CBBB42966.jpeg

The first bar barely clears the sunroof in full tilt up mode.

0058C24A-5E12-448E-8D01-0C5798338BBD.jpeg

Small update:

Although the Yokohama G003’s were amazing I ended up taking them off. I wanted something that I could frequent the snow/ mountains with. I ended up moving from the 295/70/17’s to a 35x10.5x17. I didn’t have to move my axle forward and there’s no rubbing so that’s good. The steering wheel feels lighter and the initial get up and go seems a bit better. I think this is the perfect size for 70 series. Too bad more tire companies didn’t offer this size. We’ll see how the tires perform in the snow these coming months.

9E2DB84C-67D2-4513-80C1-AF250262E4EB.jpeg

B9B3E8BA-E455-495A-8DC3-B0FA896B2C79.jpeg

024D9A68-BC65-431B-BE1A-229F0F15487D.jpeg

I decided to take the cruiser out to my hometown today where I grew up to get some home style food. It is about a 50 min drive so I don’t make the drive often anymore, especially since most of my immediate family don’t live there anymore either.

I ended up parking next to two 80 series in the restaurant parking lot that seemed to be equipped as hunting vehicles. (It is hunting season after all)

1E6CF2F8-1F3F-4878-8C95-97CC70BB5FA0.jpeg

The famous Herman Sons pepper steak I had.

A8968883-7BBA-4348-B863-664497A30BAF.jpeg

Also had to include this sighting on my way there. An Camry with what looks like an ARB bull bar.

673D308D-7097-408A-A1A3-CFDA0D4CBFB1.png

Considering the dents in the Camry's door there might be a reason for that. Either strange pets in the neighborhood or poor driving skills in the family :D
or simply a visit to the neighborhood Wal-Mart parking lot. :)

I didn’t notice it until I looked at the pic again but I think the Camry is being used for tire testing judging from the writing on the tires.

Small update:

Although the Yokohama G003’s were amazing I ended up taking them off. I wanted something that I could frequent the snow/ mountains with. I ended up moving from the 295/70/17’s to a 35x10.5x17. I didn’t have to move my axle forward and there’s no rubbing so that’s good. The steering wheel feels lighter and the initial get up and go seems a bit better. I think this is the perfect size for 70 series. Too bad more tire companies didn’t offer this size. We’ll see how the tires perform in the snow these coming months.

View attachment 2503314

View attachment 2503318

View attachment 2503319
I have some questions because I'm comparing other rigs to my BJ73 with a 3B that I have turbocharged. Your rig is a BJ74 right? Still have the 13BT? Are you at factory 4.10 gears and can you push it down the highway at 70mph reliably? I have 32"s now I don't think I could run on the highway in 5th gear if I had 35's. You're right it does sit well and look good on 35's. Those look like tundra steel rims(spare tire). Mine are the same, but 16"

I have some questions because I'm comparing other rigs to my BJ73 with a 3B that I have turbocharged. Your rig is a BJ74 right? Still have the 13BT? Are you at factory 4.10 gears and can you push it down the highway at 70mph reliably? I have 32"s now I don't think I could run on the highway in 5th gear if I had 35's. You're right it does sit well and look good on 35's. Those look like tundra steel rims(spare tire). Mine are the same, but 16"

Yup, 74 with the stock 13bt. I’m not sure about pushing it down the highway at 70 continuously. I usually cruise around 60-65mph and hit 70 going downhill coasting. I didn’t have any problems what so ever on 33’s for the last few years. I anticipate the same reliability with the 35’s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom