Welding Sliders To The Frame! Anyone? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

LR_RESQ said:
Just do both... nothing like overkill.

Still trying to picture that one... :rolleyes:

Mine are weld on and I use them to lift the truck with the high jack...no problems. Can post pics later.

LandyLover said:
However, if I were to do it again I'd clamp them on.

That's exactly my thought on it. I would like to have two metal c shapes, one attached to the outtrigger/slider and the other c basically cups the back of the frame. Each attachment has a 90 tab welded, with gussets of course, and a straight bolt would pass through both, clamping around the frame. The force will be dissipated through a larger area across the frame.

I have seen a little stressed area around one of my bolts on my sliders where they have been used several hard times.

Plus, there have allready been times i have had to repair my exhaust. If my sliders were welded and i couldn't remove them, it would have made the exhaust repair very, very difficult.

3 words ... pop rivot s

If you know how to weld then weld them on. There is no bettter way to do it. I bet I can get welded sliders off with a torch faster that you can unbolt your sissy sliders.

I want no doubt in my mind that my s*** is hook tight when I am about to slam by truck onto a giant rock. Bolts get loose, all thread breaks then the slider slips and you lose a rocker!

Bolt on is better than nothing but the reason they are marketed so heavy for the 80 series crowd is that many of the 80 guys are afraid of welders :) Might warp the cupholder :) When is the last time you say a heavy duty 40 slider that was bolt on?

I attached stuckys sliders with big zip ties.

dd113 said:
...Bolt on is better than nothing but the reason they are marketed so heavy for the 80 series crowd is that many of the 80 guys are afraid of welders :) Might warp the cupholder :) When is the last time you say a heavy duty 40 slider that was bolt on?

I attached stuckys sliders with big zip ties.
Zip ties? He told me you used bungee cords...just goes to show, Sparky doesn't even know how his are attached.

Girls like guys with skills. I've been working on my nunchuck skills, bowhunting skills, computer hacking skills...I haven't had time to start on my welding skills.

Got no welder either. But I do have a bitchen set of tools. With my wrenches and sockets I can bolt just about anything to my rig.

Girls do like guys with skills, but when you use your skills to custom fab everything for your cruiser your girl starts to hate your investment (read: welder) because you no longer have time for her... its a balance. And I must say that Ive achieved that balance!!!!! She likes it when I dont have to spend big cash for crap when I can buy bulk steel and aluminum and make cool stuff (including Christmas gifts for her family)...

LandyLover said:
She likes it when I dont have to spend big cash for crap when I can buy bulk steel and aluminum and make cool stuff (including Christmas gifts for her family)...

NICE!!!! :D

First it is 3fe can fly, now you can get a welded slider off a frame faster than you can unbolt one. Man the Sh*t is getting deep. I hear you can not match a supenssion to a what a customer wants? David the Sh*t can only get sooooooo deep before you get the same rep as Shotts.

So what do you want respect, or what?

Stop laying stuff on the unreal side of your dreams.

later robbie

Any how if you chose to weld to the frame never do a line the goes from up to down on the frame, either do a round shape or dimond type of shapes. When you weld after the fact, you will weaken the material on either side of the weld, thus can create a stress area on the either side of the weld. The one picture of the welded silder on the center of the frame is an invite to the frame creating stress fractures thus leading to the frame brakeing over time. this is theory, and has happend in vechicles in the past. Now if this will happen to you depends on how much you work the slider. I too like the captured slider described by Concrete, but with out C-clamps. maybe two c channels wraping around the frame to not allow any movement. Just cost more to produce. Yea most owners of any off road vechicle do not own a welder, but would like to. later robbie

Brentbba said:
Kevin,

If Mr. Slee and Mr. Hanna think it's ok to bolt on - who am I to argue. Some would argue that they do it that way so they can ship them and for ease of installation. Well.....Mr Slee hasn't welded his on his rig and he's certainly capable. Doubt you'd ever be doing anything more serious than Christo.

they sell bolt on's so they can ship them to someone who has no idea how to weld and they can bolt them on.....

Mine are welded onto the frame and i wouldnt have done it anyother way. I welded plates on first in the appropriate manner then welded my sliders to the plates.

I built my own and didnt see a need to ever take them off. wanted something more direct. i guess its partially personal preference.

NW-sickboy said:
they sell bolt on's so they can ship them to someone who has no idea how to weld and they can bolt them on.....

Mine are welded onto the frame and i wouldnt have done it anyother way. I welded plates on first in the appropriate manner then welded my sliders to the plates.

I built my own and didnt see a need to ever take them off. wanted something more direct. i guess its partially personal preference.

Welded on sliders can work fine. Bolt on sliders with a U bolt is stronger though.

The slider arms along with the U bolt captures the frame from all 4 sides.

Welding will only capure the one side you weld to.

I am not saying welding a slider on the frame is bad and I would not do it. I am saying using U bolts is the stronger way to attach sliders to the frame for trouble free years of wheeling.

Ken

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom