Welding Sliders To The Frame! Anyone? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
youtube.com
Last edited:
Fire in the hole! :doh:

Boston Mangler said:
Anyone here have homebuilt sliders welded to the frame?

There is no other way in my view. Others will disagree but I don't care about their opinions on it. :D Weld them on.

I can't remember .. were Wrench's sliders welded on ?

TY

T Y L E R said:
I can't remember .. were Wrench's sliders welded on ?
TY

Yes, I believe he welded them on himself. If I remember correctly, someone else built the sliders according to George's design and he welded them on.

Did I hear they got partly ripped off when they tried to right his 80?

Bad weld? Wrong vector? :doh:

TY

T Y L E R said:

TY

Must have been poor weld - wasn't there, and never saw the actual weld, so strictly my typical speculation :flipoff2:

Ive welded mine on. However, if I were to do it again I'd clamp them on. What Ive done is welded to the bracket for the stock running boards and the frame. I get good strength this way and there is much less likely of a chance of me breaking a weld. Ive suspended the truck's weight enough that the rear tire has come off the ground - no issues with respect to breaking welds.

One thing I dont like about it is you get a little more road noise in the cab due to the fact that the body is tied directly to the frame. I've thought about cutting the support between the frame and body (just a sawzall blade's width) and laminating some heavy rubber (ie a tire or heavy belt) to reduce noise. The noise is not brutal but its a bit louder than before. :)

Later...

Last edited:
an idea i was thinking about was buying some marlin sliders about $500 then welding up a braket system similar to slees u bolt design..... wonder is anyones done this yet?

Landy, is that an air tank down there? If so, why is there no skid plate or other protection for it?

Mine are welded on--I drove off a 4' road a couple of weeks back and landed on them--no problem--left big gouges in the concrete. If you want I can take pics tomorrow after I get the bottom pressure washed....

Its an air tank. I need to weld on a guard for it but Im going to do it when I make a guard for my cats. Im gonna get the exhaust done in the fall and get the cats 90ed. I'll do everything then...

Later

T Y L E R said:

TY

Boogie :bounce: weld I was the one who hooked the strap onto it . It came right off like butta :flipoff2:

Junk said:
There is no other way in my view. Others will disagree but I don't care about their opinions on it. :D Weld them on.

Got any pics of yours?

Thanks

SR.GRINGO said:
Mine are welded on--I drove off a 4' road a couple of weeks back and landed on them--no problem--left big gouges in the concrete. If you want I can take pics tomorrow after I get the bottom pressure washed....

Sure, brainstorming, so the more info/pics the better

Thanks

The sliders on my 4runner are welded to the frame. They have been hammered on very hard for 5 years. And used to upright the rig on several occasions. No sign of metal fatigue, yet. Probably just jinxed myself.
JonB

Junk said:

I'm with Junk,
I have a set Link Motorsports made for me and they are welded on.

Welding them on is simply the wrong way to do it...because Junk prefers it and because mine are bolted on :flipoff2:

This has been hashed out several times...but in a nutshell, I like having the option of removing mine, if necessary. I've bashed the hell out of mine, IMHO, and mine have stayed in place, with no problems at all.

Put me firmly in the anti-weld, pro-bolt-on camp.

Kevin,

If Mr. Slee and Mr. Hanna think it's ok to bolt on - who am I to argue. Some would argue that they do it that way so they can ship them and for ease of installation. Well.....Mr Slee hasn't welded his on his rig and he's certainly capable. Doubt you'd ever be doing anything more serious than Christo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom