Welding The Rear Differential (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

" I don't have lockers and I am planning on re-gearing, and putting a locker in fairly soon, this would be plenty fine for the time being and will give me better capabilities when the summer wheeling trips come around."

This says right here says it all!!! :rofl: I think you should start looking for a s***box to have on stand by so you have a way to work. I ran welded rears for years on mini trucks that I drove pretty often, but always had a back up s***box or at least a center to put in as I knew what I did to the poor bastards on the weekends....

Post a vid of the clunk/noise you have now that its welded.
Heres the video!

Heres the video!

Dont know what to tell you about the clunk, but something is definitely loading and unloading.... I had a birf that I split the bell on, but didnt completely blow apart, do something really similar. Could feel it in the steering wheel, but also on a mini truck. Ive never had a problem with the coupler in an 80, but Im sure one of these guys who have will jump in.

A back up s***box to daily/get to work would definetly be on the top of my priority list now if I was you.... Oh to be young again!!! Just remember, the harder you beat it, the deeper youre gonna end up diggin into that wallet!!! :rofl::beer:

Dont know what to tell you about the clunk, but something is definitely loading and unloading.... I had a birf that I split the bell on, but didnt completely blow apart, do something really similar. Could feel it in the steering wheel, but also on a mini truck. Ive never had a problem with the coupler in an 80, but Im sure one of these guys who have will jump in.

A back up s***box to daily/get to work would definetly be on the top of my priority list now if I was you.... Oh to be young again!!! Just remember, the harder you beat it, the deeper youre gonna end up diggin into that wallet!!! :rofl::beer:
Yep. Getting a beater this year. The motor needs to be taken apart anyways so I need a second car regardless before I pull the motor. I reached out to a few of my buddies on instagram (OregonTrail and Wes @blackhillsbuilds and they both suggested something along the lines of a busted TCase gear in the Center Diff. I’ll tear into that this weekend. For now its just slow slow tight turns

Personal I have ran a welded diff on the hwy for years back when I was young and balling on a budget blew the diff in my chevy luv 2wd truck welded that then really broke it so I put a 4x4 toyota truck rear end under it made my own drive shaft and of course I did all the welding on the drive shaft also left it spung over the luv truck rear axle was spung under so instantly had a rear lift and could run 31 10.5 tires didn't have brake line fittings so just bent the rear line over and hammered it flat so didn't leak. Then blew the diff out of that oh yeah had a Buick 3.8 v6 and built th350 transmission that hit hard. Welded the diff in toyota rear axle this thing would do burn out till the tires blew I miss my Luv truck.

A welded rear diff ain‘t half bad - look at it as an outlet for the inner redneck that many of us have along…

The problem(s) don’t come from doing this, they come from forgetting to repair it properly, for whatever reason (usually it’s “…it worked fine for so long”).

I find front end issues quite scary, especially when they come when turning. I would try to not drive the truck until that is repaired (yes, repaired, not “fixed”). A steering failure on the trail - well, might just be an inconvenience. A steering failure on the road in traffic could result in a disaster, not only for the driver, but for a lot of other folks on the road.

A welded rear diff ain‘t half bad - look at it as an outlet for the inner redneck that many of us have along…

The problem(s) don’t come from doing this, they come from forgetting to repair it properly, for whatever reason (usually it’s “…it worked fine for so long”).

I find front end issues quite scary, especially when they come when turning. I would try to not drive the truck until that is repaired (yes, repaired, not “fixed”). A steering failure on the trail - well, might just be an inconvenience. A steering failure on the road in traffic could result in a disaster, not only for the driver, but for a lot of other folks on the road.
Absolutely

Does it load/unload like that if you turn to the right also? Just thinking about doing a brake stand like that, something HAD to give, and really curious as to what all said enough is enough.... Now is when it would be nice to be able to pull the drive flanges off the front to troubleshoot..... oh wait....... :rofl:

Does it load/unload like that if you turn to the right also? Just thinking about doing a brake stand like that, something HAD to give, and really curious as to what all said enough is enough.... Now is when it would be nice to be able to pull the drive flanges off the front to troubleshoot..... oh wait....... :rofl:
Yes it loads and unloads. And haha

I'm in the " I don't hate the welded diff" camp, but also, been there done that with hella redneck fixes as a young bloke to keep a beater kicking.

The thing with the "easy fix", it usually means not only have you not repaired the original problem, you've also ****** something else up for a short term fix.

Whether it's with cars, or construction,
I eventually learnt, if you found a short cut it almost always means you ****** something up, and at some point, the cluster fùcks came back and bite you on the ass.

Anyway, you do you, keep posting about your shenanigans 🤪 we need some fun in here 👍

Ah ao your the same person that welded the drive flanges lol... at least you can weld most of the guys on here can't even change a battery
He does the breaking 😂 His brother does the welding :rolleyes:

Plenty of us on here can weld !! Can you ?

Actually no I can't weld or fabricate I just talk s*** on the internet

Screenshot_20240131_151547_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20240131_151845_Gallery.jpg

Customers 80 so no build thread as of yet tons of work / fab/welding. It's a 94 5.3 nv4500 100 series tcase all kinds of other work too. Don't try this at home.

View attachment 3546969
Tons of custom Fab/welding by me including sheet metal welding ;)
All documented on my build thread you can find in my signature.
1706734992456.png

Fitting 39s on a low lift

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom