Drive flange measurement for different shafts? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

CharlieS

GOLD Star
Threads
I've read several references on 'mud of two different generations of front drive flanges on the 80. I'd like to locate a set for trail spares, but I want to buy the correct version.

Is there a measurement that I could take on my current flanges to determine which version to buy?

I can't just go by model year/build date or existence of abs, I need a measurement. This rig is not very original, it is a bit of a mashup - it is '94 (they year they changed the flange design, in April, as I understand it), it has RCV driveshafts - they were put on before I got it, and I don't know if they also changed flanges at the same time. It came with ABS when new, not sure if that matters (I think I read that this mattered somehow).

I searched mud, and didn't find what I'm looking for. I feel like it must have been covered over the years, but I'm not great at search terms.

I did find this info on another site, it sounds legit but don't know if it is trustworthy:

Early Model CV. The 26mm measurement is from the surface the flange bolts onto to the outer circlip groove in the stub axle. 43421-60022

Late Model CV. The 35mm measurement is from the surface the flange bolts onto to the outer circlip groove in the stub axle. 43421-60040

Would anyone be willing to verify this or provide alternate measurements?

They changed in late 93.
Early ones are 25mm from end of hub to where the dust cap goes on.
Later ones are 35mm.

This is the overall height of the drive flange from machined surface to machined surface.
I measured both when i swapped birfs abs flanges in my cruiser.

Whatever year vehicle you have, if your swapping both birfs and flanges, just get the later model parts for both.

They changed in late 93.
Early ones are 25mm from end of hub to where the dust cap goes on.
Later ones are 35mm.

This is the overall height of the drive flange from machined surface to machined surface.
I measured both when i swapped birfs abs flanges in my cruiser.

Whatever year vehicle you have, if your swapping both birfs and flanges, just get the later model parts for both.

For the US market FZJ80, they changed in April of 1994.

Thank you.

Mine measured around 25mm, so it seems that I have the early version. That's a bummer, since the new larger ones are supposed to be stronger.

Mine measured around 25mm, so it seems that I have the early version. That's a bummer, since the new larger ones are supposed to be stronger.

The new ones don't wear as fast. There's a lot more spline engagement, something like 50% more spline length engaged in the joint.

Aftermarket flanges are fairly cheap. If you have good birfs, just change flanges. Just stick with Japanese made ones

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom