Water Pump & Timing Belt Price (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That's a very good price from a dealer. Nashua Toyota quoted me $1200 and Wellesley Toyota quoted me $1500.

I ended up buying the Aisin kit off of Amazon for $169 and Nashua Toyota was willing to install it for me for $450 and they gave me a free loaner car for the day.

RND1 - I got another quote to compare within NH and Irwin Toyota (Laconia, NH) gave me a $1,404 quote for TB/WP.... So Grappone Toyota (Bow, NH) was at $891... Irwin Toyota was $513 Higher (58% higher)... yikes...

Does everyone here feel like you have to get the WP/TB every 90,000 miles or can you get more out of it and delay another 10 or 20k? Thanks to this forum I connected with my rigs previous owner (Thanks John) and he let me know all the work with OEM parts he had done to it.

This is a great community/forum!
-Matt

[QUOTE="Algonquin, post: 11424108, member: 135576"

Does everyone here feel like you have to get the WP/TB every 90,000 miles or can you get more out of it and delay another 10 or 20k? Thanks to this forum I connected with my rigs previous owner (Thanks John) and he let me know all the work with OEM parts he had done to it.

-Matt[/QUOTE]

Its Toyotas recommended interval. Ive read of several here running twice the interval or more but I wouldnt go that far. 90-100-110k prob fine. It also depends on years (7??) . You can pull a cam gear cover and inspect the belt for cracks, and look underneath the HB weep hole and see if youve got any wet or dried coolant there. Make your decision from there.

[QUOTE="
Does everyone here feel like you have to get the WP/TB every 90,000 miles or can you get more out of it and delay another 10 or 20k?

-Matt[/QUOTE]
If it was my truck, and I don't remember seeing what year yours is, as long as mine wasn't a vvti engine, I wouldn't blink an eye driving another 10k to 20k miles. Especially since you now know it has been completed once before. There's new members all the time getting them replaced with 150k to 200k plus miles that are probably original.
That being said the passenger side timing belt cover is fairly easy to remove without taking much off to inspect and look at the belt to see its condition.
I inspected mine last year sometime and it looked new. I've owned my 100 almost four years and 50k miles but it wasn't documented anywhere. I just did this myself carefully over a few days during Christmas time as I was off of work. I purchased everything off of Amazon except a gallon of concentrate coolant that I got from my local dealership. I used - Aisin TKT-021 Engine Timing Belt Kit with Water Pump, - Aisin FBT-002 Fan Pulley Bracket, new thermostat and gasket. So everything for $350. Your original price qoute is not bad at all, but you should clarify what parts it includes.

My water pump, and fan bracket were original to the motor and water pump had some corrosive buildup inside from 17 plus years of use, definitely needed replaced.
Good luck.

Among these 3 kits which one is the best choice?

Gates TCKWP298 Engine Timing Belt Kit with Water Pump

Aisin TKT-001 Engine Timing Belt Kit with Water Pump

ACDelco TCKWP298 Professional Timing Belt and Water Pump Kit with Idler Pulley and 2 Tensioners

The issue is not really the Timing belt cracking and failing. A guy in my neighborhood bought a 98LC off the lot in 1998. He didn't know it needed a timing belt at 90K or heater tee's. Last year at 250k miles and ~20 years, He had them done at a shop somewhere, shop offered no remarkable comments.

I've heard stories in mud of T-Belt failure causing interference damage. But "I've not seen" one picture of bent valves form interference or damaged pistons posted.

I've read many stores of broken belt under load, accelerating on HWY or spinning crank with belt off without interfance. In which new belt installed and all was good.

We've long held a belief that the 2UZ-fe VVT-i engine is a true interference engine. But I pulled the belt off a VVT and turned the crank 720 degs and then some, No interface. I pulled the heads, not a single mark on pistons tops or valves. That said, a service manager at a Toyota Dealership said to me; they bought a client a new engine after a Tech aligned the belt to the wrong (T) marks.

I suppose a very high mileage engine with weak valve springs in a really loose engine could possible allow for some interference in the right condition, just I've not seen it.

What I've been seeing is water pumps weeping (failing), bearings of pulleys a bit noisy (failure) and tensioners leaking (failing).
Additionally some gasket begin failing (for one reason or another) need refreshing to protect metal components, like block from damaging effects of electrolysis.
077.JPG
080.JPG

It's a good time to inspect the fan bracket. Any play, noise or oil seepage and replace for sure, if not just replacing as PM.
029.JPG
001.JPG

I've never seen a bad belt other than in mud.

Last edited:
Paul,

What is this?

Screen Shot 2018-01-14 at 9.18.20 AM.png

That is a weep hole, coming from the main failure point (bushing) of any water point. What your seeing is coolant dried, harden and built up over time. Some sign of coolant on block near this point, but weep hole at bottom timing belt cover was clear. So leak was not yet externally detectable.

weep hole LX 006 a.jpg

Among these 3 kits which one is the best choice?

Gates TCKWP298 Engine Timing Belt Kit with Water Pump

Aisin TKT-001 Engine Timing Belt Kit with Water Pump

ACDelco TCKWP298 Professional Timing Belt and Water Pump Kit with Idler Pulley and 2 Tensioners

go with the aisin kit, its pretty much factory parts. aisin is an oe supplier for toyota

That is a weep hole, coming from the main failure point (bushing) of any water point. What your seeing is coolant dried, harden and built up over time. Some sign of coolant on block near this point, but weep hole at bottom timing belt cover was clear. So leak was not yet externally detectable.

View attachment 1610950
Amazing pics - Thanks for information. I was going to have the TB & WP done tomorrow (about 10,000 miles early) but my luck the ABS Alarm sounded, and the dashboard lit up with the BRAKE/VSC/VSC OFF/ABS lights... I went out this morning and have no brakes whatsoever and just popped the hood and the brake fluid reservoir is bone dry... Any ideas (Praying its a brake line and not something much pricier).

Thanks - Matt
Brake Fluid 1.JPG

Last edited:
Check around the brake booster and fenderwell for signs of leaks, then crawl under and inspect all four corners for brake fluid and wet spots around each caliper. Then start back tracking from each caliper to the hard lines. Its definitely leaking from somewhere.

Ughh dude
Sorry
Agree to check all the lines. It has to be a leak as the fluid went somewhere.

The brake booster did have the rebuild done on this truck (it has explained on this site). It had a soft pedal while sitting at a stop.

I bet a line blew

This sucks

Let me know what you find

John

Where could I find a list of parts to replace at 108k on a 2006 lx470? Timing belt and water pump included.. What else should be replaced while i'm in there? Is there a kit that includes it all?

Aisin timing belt kit on amazon for $169 includes bearings, tensioner, water pump. Also got the thermostat and o ring while I was there for a total of $200. Got on Yourmechanic.com, be sure to check the box that you have your own parts. The labor was $360 and they come to your house or work and do it. Took about 3.5 hours

I have been using YourMechanic for smaller things on my LX470. Anyone else have experience with someone coming out and doing the full timing belt job? best way to find out if the person is up to it?

Just got quoted $1134 + tax for the TB/WP job with OEM parts, front bearings repack, tightening and greasing of spider joints, 1 quart of Toyota Red coolant and 12 quart exchange on ATF with Toyota fluid. No plugs, coils or belts, but everything else. This quote came from Round Rock Toyota. Seems like an incredibly reasonable price. Was thinking of doing the job myself, but the price and amount of labor seems like a no-brainer to me. Especially considering I'll be worn out from installing diff breathers, CV axles, front rotors and pads as well as steering rack bushings.

Who was your service manager at RR?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom