Water pump bolt leaky (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Freshly rebuilt ‘78 2f. New Aisin water pump. Just got through break-in.

I have a small coolant leak that appears to be coming from one of the bolts on the bottom of the water pump (see pic). Bolt is tight, but I put a little more umph on it tonight for good measure.

Anyone have any tips for fixing?

FB2A2155-485D-4D86-8419-8D8AFF773083.jpeg

I believe OEM manual recommends coating threads with RTV silicone, maybe it wasn’t

Hard to remember. I tried to follow all the procedures to the letter, but I guess it’s possible they didn’t get the proper treatment.

It doesn’t matter how much you tighten it, if the threads don’t have gasket sealer. That bolt threads into the water jacket in the engine.

Remove it, put Permatex on the threads and put it back. Cheers

Got it. Thanks. Presumably I’ll need to drain the coolant for the procedure since the bolt threads into a water jacket. ??

Your diagnosis proceeds on the assumption that because you can see coolant dripping from the bolt, that THAT is where it started.

Did you pull the backing plate from the water pump and reseal it before you installed it?

Your diagnosis proceeds on the assumption that because you can see coolant dripping from the bolt, that THAT is where it started.

Did you pull the backing plate from the water pump and reseal it before you installed it?

I didn't. I was reading that on another thread, though. Is it fair to say that it's obvious how to do that once I have the pump in my hands?

Once the pump is in ur hands it should be obvious. the Phillips countersink screws on the back side of a new pump are almost always loose, in addition to the loose hardware I personally like to wet the gasket with a light film of rightstuff and give a few love taps with my hammer impact driver just before mounting the pump.
C65CCE6D-04C1-49BC-B53C-9B8B23EC2C2F.jpeg

update?

This is a Very simple diagnosis based on dozens of 2F water pump installed

over the years , and my personal hands on experience as a TOYOTA

Dealership Service Technician for 12 years

- you did NOT use FIPG black on the gaskets both side , or TOYOTA Black Glue

00295-00103

- you reused your old mounting hardware , this is a No NO ! you must

use ALL New OEM mounting hardware , with black FIPG coating threads in process ,

- you did not spray brake clean in all the email threads prior to new install
to rid them of Rust & Rubbish , your Old crusty bolts have bottomed out
and not torquing un-glues gasket enough properly

- remeber these are ALL 1.5 thread pitch Course threads , and behave different then 1.25 ones ..........

- Please Click the Link Below , it has and is for your Exact situation
100% OEM Toyota Genuine Parts , follow the FSM steps i out lined above
use the parts below in link , Goodby leak for ever ........... :santa:

- i Will Include a FREE professional sample tube of black FIPG 0095-00103
as a xmass day special bonus ! MUD SANTA 2019

here is your Xmass gift @Freeborn :D

this is NOT a Joke , simply Giving something special Back to special

Folks for the Holidays .......

DSCN1547.JPG

@ToyotaMatt , Why do you need to replace the bolts for the waterpump? Are they torque to yield? Is the concern that the originals would be stretched? I have changed quite a few 2f,3fe, 22re, 3rz, 2rz,7m, 1fz waterpumps and always re-used the bolts. Never had a leak in any of them afterward.

New bolts have a Chrome like Triple zinc special plating on them ,

so they glide right in , and respond the Tourque wrench alot better then

20-30 year old pitted ones , maybe rusty ones , you would really need

to prep old ones on a wire wheel till the metal shined , to compare

also the old spring washers were re-used it looks like from photo ,

i guarantee they were flat like a saggy leaf spring when re-installed ,

the job has to be re-done with a NEW OEM TOYOTA gasket , now

OEM water pump gaskets are at least 4 times or more thicker material

then anything else on the market and prevent leaks due to this

concrete fact

the gasket included with AISIN kit is thinner then the OEM TOYOTA one

oddly enough ?

addionally , the AISIN kit comes with a 2nd gasket a FULL ring around the entire water pump type , what this also installed by @Freeborn

im not sure i saw that mentioned or discussed above ?

also , cleaning out the female Block threads is a MUST DO step , to prevent

the NEW OEM Bolts from bottom out as well ,

were Talking about a 41 year old truck here , and Age & Time issues are at work , not covered in the FSM's

i follow the above prescribed every 2F water pump install , and never a leak..

it may seam like overkill , but IMO thats what needs to be done for trouble free 2F water pump new install

Thanks for all the tips, friends. Circling back here to update/resolve the thread...

In the interest of saving time, I ended up taking the vehicle to the shop around the corner to get things sealed up. (Don’t worry. One of the owners has owned several 40s and knows exactly what he’s doing.) It turned out that most of the bolts on the water pump were loose-ish. They ended up putting on a new gasket and sealing with an RTV sandwich for good measure. Also put the requisite sealant on the bolt threads.

The result: Completely leak free...so far. 😉

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom