Vintage Con-Ferr Sand Bar - What color? (1 Viewer)

Period Con-Ferr sand bar color

• Black

Votes: 9 64.3%
  • Silver

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Pweter

Votes: 4 28.6%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

oregon fj

Serial rescuer of old vehicles
Threads
My early '64 FST came to me with a vintage Con-Ferr Sand Bar (roll bar) in it. Looking to get it powder coated before I re-install it. Trying to decide on a period-correct color. Seems to be 3 possibilities.
  1. Black
  2. Silver
  3. Pewter
Black seems harsh. Silver less so, and I've seen period pictures that appear to show them as silver back in the day. Pewter would be consistent with the rest of the interior trim.

Any recommendations?

2e22c637-a6a5-4c36-ba6d-7f3b5536b4d8-jpeg.1582138

My early '64 FST came to me with a vintage Con-Ferr Sand Bar (roll bar) in it. Looking to get it powder coated before I re-install it. Trying to decide on a period-correct color. Seems to be 3 possibilities.
  1. Black
  2. Silver
  3. Pewter
Black seems harsh. Silver less so, and I've seen period pictures that appear to show them as silver back in the day. Pewter would be consistent with the rest of the interior trim.

Any recommendations?

2e22c637-a6a5-4c36-ba6d-7f3b5536b4d8-jpeg.1582138
Maybe a grey to match the wheels? That might be close to "pewter" now that I think about it...

Maybe a grey to match the wheels? That might be close to "pewter" now that I think about it...
Wheels through '68 were black, not gray.

Current state of the rig:

img_1334-jpg.1793277

OK, black then.

:flipoff2:

Damn, that thing is sexy!

:cheers:

To be honest, I would forgo the roll bar. Or if you really want it, go black. The lighter colors may overwhelm the vibe.
Maybe do a 73+ style so it looks more oem? Idk... :)

Oh, and that rollbar, now that I'm looking at it, looks like a roof rack that's been cut in half and set on its side in the upright position.
Interesting...

Oh, and that rollbar, now that I'm looking at it, looks like a roof rack that's been cut in half and set on its side in the upright position.
Interesting...
It's not the nicest looking roll bar, but it is very period-correct, and totally functional. Designed to not sink in case of roll over on sand, mud or other soft surfaces. Wife wants it. 'Nuff said about that.

d9a888ff-e373-476e-a531-3947b8a4da55-jpeg.1791168

Last edited:
wow!! and he produces proof!!! well, if you find evidence of the original color... do that? if you want it as original as possible. but honestly black is the usual default. nice picture though!!

I had a similar bar. Not stock plus I did not like look of it. Took it off, tried to sell it to no avail and finally had someone haul it to the recycler.

I had a similar bar. Not stock plus I did not like look of it. Took it off, tried to sell it to no avail and finally had someone haul it to the recycler.
All true, Marty. It is not particularly attractive. I would not search out and buy this bar if I had none. Nor would I expect anyone to buy it should I declare it surplus. It takes a certain mindset to want this particular bar, and shipping it would be stupid money. But...

It is period, and was installed by the original owner when it was new (or nearly). He was a volunteer with Lane County Search & Rescue (Oregon), which means he was involved in operations on the deep sand of the central Oregon coast. You would want this bar (or similar) for that use. While I've changed the color of the truck, I'd like to maintain something of the stuff that it had when it was a working truck.

And since I don't really expect to have the soft top off ever, it is not going to be all that visible anyway.

I vote black with the current color scheme of your truck. :)

Arne, your rig looks great btw; I miss the patina but man, you really did a nice job on this one--love the blue!:beer::beer::beer::clap::clap::clap:

Ok, here's period correct: Everything Pete Condos (Con-Ferr) built was leaned up against the outside back wall of his building in beautiful down town Burbank and painted flat black, soooo your sand bar did start it's life flat black. At that same time I could have built a new home for what I spent putting an A.R.B. approved spray booth in at Downey Off Road Mfg.

OK, black it is. Thanks everyone.

@whitey45 - love the catalog pics. Saving that for the seat info. I would have thought the seats need to move out more than 1.75". Food for thought now...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom