Gauging Interest - New (Con-ferr Style) Roof Racks (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Lake Arrowhead, CA (was), Rocky Top, TN (is)
Wow, I just took a look and it's been over 4 years since I posted up on this board!

Some of you may remember me - my name is Greg Steffens and I was the co-owner of DiamondRax Roof Racks. Starting in about 2014, we fabricated and sold the modern equivalent to the original Con-ferr racks (with some design tweaks and updates). Our shop was located in the Lake Arrowhead area of Southern California.

Sadly, my partner, Dave Forgerson passed away in his sleep back in 2020 after struggling with heart issues. In 2021, I moved to Tennessee and have, quite frankly, needed a couple years to get my legs back under me and figure everything out.

I sold my 40 before the move and I've been a cowboy without a horse since then, but I'm getting the itch to be back in the game. The way I figure things, the best and quickest way for me to earn enough moola to buy another 40 is to start up another roof rack business. And, being out of the people's Republic of Kalifornia means that I can now produce a quality product without all the taxes, politics and hassle.

Soooo....since I've been out of the loop for some time, I'm wondering if there's a market still for a quality roof rack system patterned after the classic Con-ferr racks. I will be modifying and updating the design some, but it will still have the clean lines and the solid construction that the made the Con-ferr racks so popular.

If I get enough positive feedback, I'll start sourcing steel and get a welder. If not, I'll just make one for myself....haha!

Cheers everyone....it's good to be back on the MUD!

Copy of Copy of IMG_0165.JPG

Copy of eli 8.png

coleman 3.jpeg

I think there is always a market for quality products, the question is how big? Just looking to stay busy and build some racks as a hobby and generate some play money, or try to make it a career? Dave Gore of 4+ products out of Arizona recently posted on the forum about the possibility/likelihood of closing his shop due to deteriorating sales. This is a long standing well established landcruiser manufacturing/custom fabrication shop. He has documented the increase in his input costs and the result they have had on his business as he tries to maintain reasonable pricing to keep customers placing orders: steel, lumber for palletizing, and shipping.

I wish you success in your adventure! Its always good to have options as a consumer.

You will not have a big enough Market with the 40/60. Now if you can tap into the newer rigs. then it is possible . I will send you a PM.

Thanks for the input and well-wishes thus far...much appreciated! Of course, I understand that price point will be very important and, to your point, EWheeler, price is dependent on material costs and overhead. I'm sorry to hear about Dave Gore...his 4+ products are awesome.

Yes, clrussel, pick up would save you some coin. I'm just north of Knoxville.

Wagonwheels - Yes, the rack will be strong enough to walk on. The question is....are your rain gutters up to the load?! Always chasing the weakest link, right?!

Firemedic831 - I get a sick sense of joy thinking that I will likely target the Jeep market. To buy a 40 from the profits of selling roof racks to Jeep owners gives me a weird sense of satisfaction! Haha! Yes, you're absolutely right - I'll need to cater to markets outside the 40/55/60/80 Land Cruiser crowd if I intend to generate enough volume to keep the doors open. With DiamondRax, we sold a good number of racks for old Broncos, Scouts, Jeep Cherokees, and other Jeeps models, too. I got your PM and will respond a bit later. Thanks very much.

NICK!! That Arles Blue still makes me giddy. How are you, man?! You're in Missoula now? When did that happen? PM me and let's catch up, amigo.

Don't forget the van market... it seems crazy what some of these are selling for, but it's big bossiness these days...

I'm certain there's a market for Landcruiser products, but building for a wider market will certainly help also.

Yes, you're absolutely right, Smurf....vans are a hot ticket. They tend to be BIG racks too (read expensive). Shipping was tough on the long racks....sometimes we built them in two sections, so they could be bolted together in the middle. Otherwise, trying to make them in one piece was a shipping nightmare.

Well, thus far, responses and feedback have been positive. Switching gears now....here are a few questions:

1) What are some other roof racks for the FJ40's that are currently on the market and what do you see as their pros and cons?

2) If you were going to design a roof rack for your 40, what things would you include?

I have a basic design, but am always open to input and suggestions.

Well, thus far, responses and feedback have been positive. Switching gears now....here are a few questions:

1) What are some other roof racks for the FJ40's that are currently on the market and what do you see as their pros and cons?

2) If you were going to design a roof rack for your 40, what things would you include?

I have a basic design, but am always open to input and suggestions.
I’m personally very interested in the Gamiviti Racks from @nakman. Specifically the Expo Rack because it appears to be low profile but still incorporates a sort of basket type section at the front.

Two important things for me with a rack are weight and functionality. I had a Prinsu rack on my old 4Runner and liked having the flexibility of being able to use attachments with the channels in the extrusion to mount things where it made sense. It was also light weight and low profile. I could still park in my garage with a 3 inch lift because it was so low profile.

I don’t know that I’ll ever buy a rack for my 40 because it’s important to me to be able to garage it during the winter in Colorado but if I do, I’m afraid something similar to the Connfer would stand too tall for me to be able to do that. Of course removing it is an option but that can become tedious and possibly lead to damage over time.

Make them flat with the capability for 2+ 40 racks to tie in together and pockets to put in rails

yea thats it

I would make them as period-correct in appearance as possible. Think about who can afford FJ40s now and what they're "using" them for. Yep, pretty much fashion statements (and that's fine). I mean, who wanted steelies and stock ride height in 2010? But now . . .

Anyway, the higher profile of the original con-ferr had its advantages--like holding nato-style fuel cans more securely. And while the higher profile can pose problems with clearance, a lower profile would not as drastically reduce the performance deficit (over full height) on an fj40 as it would on modern, more streamlined vehicles that don't have the aerodynamic profile of a cinder block.

My problem with the Gamiviti is esthetics: it makes the rig look like a balding guy with a island of hair front and center at the top of his forehead.

In answer to question 2: an expanded metal floor strong enough to walk on. Pitch a 2-man tent (or just throw down the pad and your bag) on the floor of a 5x7 con-ferr style rack and have a RTT of way better quality than the iffy commercial options out there now. (I've done this a few times after reading a @65swb45 post where he said he was going to camp that way in the desert, about a decade ago) @Wagonwheels 's flat rack idea would also accommodate that option.

@CruiserStuff believe I bought a chrome 40 series bumper from you years ago? Avatar and California location seem right.

Almost bought a confer rack in Nevada few years ago. Unfortunately couldn't get my sister confirm she could pick it up. Pretty sure it was a bolt together rack. With the stupid cost of shipping large item a break down rack might makes sense. Me personally would want the horizontal crossbars for the base be heavy duty. The front, back and side could be lighter gauge. Lighter to side and a vehicle already easy to round wound want to minimize extra weight up high for regular driving. Just like towing a loaded rack I would adjust my driving habits accordingly.

jembourbe - Thank you for your thoughts and observations. I agree that an era-correct appearance would be advantageous. In fact, that's why, with DiamondRax we had used the sheet metal wrapped around the corners of the rack, just like the old Con-ferr units - no other racks had that. I prescribe to the idea that your 40 should have a roof rack....not, your roof rack has a 40. In other words, the size/height of the rack needs to be proportional to the rig.

Putting a strong floor in it would be a good option. We had really good results with, of all things, a product that had been designed and made to be chicken coop flooring!

And, like you said, most people never put anything in the rack - it's just for looks! Haha! We used to joke that we should make a rack out of aluminum foil, spray paint it black and call is the "Faux Rack."

Living in the Past - Yep, that's right...I did sell that bumper to you! A more modular design that could break down for shipping and for customization is also a good idea. Also, you're right, weight and center of gravity definitely play in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom