Con-ferr question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have about seven con-ferr roof racks. At some point (guessing 90’s) con-ferr changed their logo. The later racks have the badge on the corner. Did con-ferr also change the mounts at some point? I have six nos gutter mounts but they are painted black not silver or anodized. They also lack the conferr markings. These came with con-ferr instructions theyre not like smittybilt

Earlier racks did not have the badge on the corner, but it was stamped somewhere on the rack. I have no idea when the transition occurred.

Early genuine Con Ferr rack feet/mounts had gold anodized plating.

As for your black 'feet', other companies made 'Con Ferr' style gutter clamps that may have had a different finish and of course, would not be stamped 'Con Ferr'. Someone on Mud offered these at one time.

Pirated pics courtesy of MUD.

794BCE5D-99EF-48DD-B1A3-5FAD9648539F.jpeg

8705CB80-B611-4369-8149-9353D1F2A5D5.jpeg

Last edited:
This is a Marks off-road HD bracket.

@fjwagon I know you are trying to help ID the bracket. Thought these pics would help @mrtoni ID what he has..

B3C85D5D-8100-4A18-9ABD-B53604E1C1D5.jpeg

ConFerr actually had an earlier version of the bracket that was made of a lighter gauge of metal, but had a rolled edge to increase the strength, and were painted black.

Speaking of painting, Jim from Downey once made me laugh when he reminded me that you could see the black spray paint on the freeway side of the ConFerr building where Pete had painted parts outside.

Granted, at that time, that whole area of Burbank was pretty run down. Lots of grimy, shuttered old manufacturing buildings that had been tied in one way or another to Lockheed that were giving way to the building of-the mall, which opened in ‘91.

Last edited:
Mark's brackets are very robust. I was impressed. They come raw (at least they did at that time) so you can make them any color you like.

Earlier racks did not have the badge on the corner, but it was stamped somewhere on the rack. I have no idea when the transition occurred.
The transition happened when Pete sold the business to Maurice in 1998.

Interesting side note, a local investment banker had a group of clients who were interested in buying the business, but only if I would be the GM. I agreed in principle to be a consultant, but wasn’t willing to shutter Mark’s Off Road to make a full time transition, so that deal fell apart.

Mark, after con-ferr closed who was the guy who i bought the nos tire covers from? I think he was selling on pirate4x4. He was going to sell me the SEMA displays from con-ferr booth.

As for the clamps, im not an expert but i do have maybe 40-50. The black ones are identical in shape but dont say con-ferr. I just think it is strange that the seller had original paperwork from con-ferr if they werent made by con-ferr.

I also have six of the old style rolled edge clamps from my rack the has portholes all the way around the perimeter.

Thanks,
Matt

Yep...that's right...they are the Gamiviti units. They're nicely built. We provided them with our DiamondRax roof racks prior to developing our own (Bulldog 2.0) rain gutter clamps.

And, mrtoni, I think I might be the guy you bought the NOS Con-ferr tire covers from. Reach out to me if you want to talk. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom