Gauging Interest - New (Con-ferr Style) Roof Racks (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Bringing back the classic Porthole rack is a cool idea...

It should try and do things the classic welded rack couldn't do.

Ignoring costs for a minute lets look at optimizing what a modern version of this rack could be/do Vs. the classic.

Be lighter
Be corrosion proof
Be modular
Be easier to ship
Adapt from carrying gear to carrying a tent
Accommodate modern accessories and mounts

With that said here is a possible way to accomplish these goals.

Base the rack on 80/20 or equivalent extrusions. Standard sections combined with custom designed and fabricated "Corners and Ports" would open your market up to pretty much every vehicle that can carry a roof rack.

A bit more detail.

The corners:

A fabricated 90 degree sweep.
Provisions to blind bolt or through bolt to the frame extrusions.

(This is the key component and would lend itself well to being cast then machined)

The Ports:

Simple 2D profile with the option to flare the large center hole when you were equipped to do so.
Mounted with flush or button head hardware to the extrusions.

Body and End rails:

80/20 extrusion cut to length with threaded (or cross drilled) ends for mounting to the 90 degree corner.
The rack would need 4 side rails and four end rails.

Cross bars:

80/20 extrusions, use the double wide ones here, sized to work with the end rails. Quantity of these dependent on application.

The above would get you a basic rack that would ship flat packed plus one small box for the corners and hardware. Bolted together it would look like a higher teck mor functional version of the original Port Hole rack. All the modular stuff that fits the T-slot standard out there would bolt on. Value could be added to the 80/20 by machining wire chase access ports. T-nut reliefs, cross bolt end details, etc.

The real trick would be to design the corners in such a way as the Body, End, and Cross rails could be in (Pick a number) six inch increments. Truly custom rack sizes would be very simple to accommodate.

Flooring would be up to the customer.

There are custom rack manufacturers popping out of the wood work. Off the shelf extrusions plus a few cut and formed sheet-metal components are a roof rack lego set. The custom corner "Blocks" would take those legos to the next level.

Regards

Sq.

P.S. Never forget that free advice is usually worth exactly what you paid for it.

Here is a pic of my rack. Modular. Can walk on Will hold a RTT. Or bikes or canoes Fully adjustable and provision for lights or even power ports

IMG_5762.jpeg

IMG_4057.jpeg

Hey squeezer - Thanks so much for your thoughtful and detailed input....very valuable. I like a lot of what you've said and agree with many of your points. It would be interesting, though, to see what happens once you start factoring cost back into the equation. I've not worked with aluminum yet, but may need to explore that route. Bolt-together racks are a breeze to ship and the ability to customize width and length would be wonderful. My experience with other bolt-together racks, though, is a lack of strength at the joints. There must be a happy medium that can be achieved.

Great to see you getting back to it Greg! I still have my roof rack on my 92 4runner you custom built for me in 2014! It’s been great! Just needs a new power coating!

Great to see you getting back to it Greg! I still have my roof rack on my 92 4runner you custom built for me in 2014! It’s been great! Just needs a new power coating!
Hey Jeff - Great to hear from you and glad the rack is still in service. Yes, hopefully, we can get a new rack system out to the market with some improvements (including the coatings used). Thanks for reaching out...

Agree with @Firemedic831 . There are tons of 4Runners and Tacoma’s out there. Make them for those rigs and let them subsidize a loss leader for your true love(s) 40/60/80.
I love mine. Paid $50 for it around 10 years ago.

IMG_2967.png

IMG_2968.png

Agree with @Firemedic831 . There are tons of 4Runners and Tacoma’s out there. Make them for those rigs and let them subsidize a loss leader for your true love(s) 40/60/80.
I love mine. Paid $50 for it around 10 years ago.

View attachment 3490884

View attachment 3490885
@jbee - Nice, classic Con-ferr rack! Looks like you're attaching it to your raingutters with the Bulldog 2.0 clamps that I designed for DiamondRax! And, you're right, I need to find a market with higher density (J**ps, 4Runners, Tacos, etc) to fund my true passions!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom