Unobtainium (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ooh shiny parts! Relay and those 20 series emblems are crazy!

I’m assuming you have those locked up in a safe?

I just saw a horn relay and voltage regulator that looked almost identical to those components on a 1950 Chevy De-Luxe. Cover was off the horn relay, almost identical coil and size. Could be replacement source in the future.

Its my father-in-laws car, we took it for a little spin, the I-6 was surprisingly responsive and smooth, 3 on the tree, fun to cruise around in.

:poof:

DSCN9793.JPG
DSCN9795.JPG
DSCN9796.JPG
DSCN9799.JPG

Indy, @Indygbd

Thank-you for sharing your collection. A lot of time and money went into the hunts for that collection of bits and pieces-- your restorations should turn out that much better for them ! And I agree with your placement of loose parts related to their operation--too many times small necessary parts get separated from their application, especially when sent out for blasting and plating or powdercoating. While I know Dan is joking--sort of--a large dealership parts operation and even a few of the larger vendors here need specific methods to be efficient and accessible for any number of different employees grabbing thousands of parts for various vehicles in a hurry--but not so for a one-man show.

I'm always amazed at the generational difference between the original owners of these vehicles and current owners when it comes to replacing parts. Initially a lot of generic parts were considered "okay" to substitute, way back when dealerships were small and spotty, and keeping something on the road was primary. Today, many of us talk about "restoring," and the desire for nearly non-existent original pieces to complete an authentic rehab. Kudos to you and the few others who go the extra mile(s).

It seems that for some of us, there has become a certain point where having one of these Land Cruisers has gone from "ownership" to becoming a "caretaker" in a long-chain of owners preserving something of historic value. Hopefully, some lucky person in the future will appreciate the great attention to detail you're taking ! I hope that some of your work may actually show up one day in Dan's museum where a lot of us and others will marvel at the correctness and rarity of a truly "original" piece of automotive history.

And, yes, you still are a lucky dog !

Indy, @Indygbd

Thank-you for sharing your collection. A lot of time and money went into the hunts for that collection of bits and pieces-- your restorations should turn out that much better for them ! And I agree with your placement of loose parts related to their operation--too many times small necessary parts get separated from their application, especially when sent out for blasting and plating or powdercoating. While I know Dan is joking--sort of--a large dealership parts operation and even a few of the larger vendors here need specific methods to be efficient and accessible for any number of different employees grabbing thousands of parts for various vehicles in a hurry--but not so for a one-man show.

I'm always amazed at the generational difference between the original owners of these vehicles and current owners when it comes to replacing parts. Initially a lot of generic parts were considered "okay" to substitute, way back when dealerships were small and spotty, and keeping something on the road was primary. Today, many of us talk about "restoring," and the desire for nearly non-existent original pieces to complete an authentic rehab. Kudos to you and the few others who go the extra mile(s).

It seems that for some of us, there has become a certain point where having one of these Land Cruisers has gone from "ownership" to becoming a "caretaker" in a long-chain of owners preserving something of historic value. Hopefully, some lucky person in the future will appreciate the great attention to detail you're taking ! I hope that some of your work may actually show up one day in Dan's museum where a lot of us and others will marvel at the correctness and rarity of a truly "original" piece of automotive history.

And, yes, you still are a lucky dog !
Well, I managed a Toyota dealership for about 18 years. While others had drug and alcohol addictions, my addiction was much more expensive! Cruiser Parts.. In my down time I would search old part numbers and see what was still available. I had a connection at Toyota's warehouses, and often even though something would say discontinued, they were still able to find a handful still laying around on the shelf. That was especially true with older parts. Those were not transferred over in the new digital catalogs so they were pretty much forgotten about. I tried for years to get permission from Toyota to go look at the warehouse to see what was really there. No luck.

A few years ago I transferred to the owners Ford Dealership to run the show. Talk about a mess! That is for a different time.

As for the cardboard bins I use, those came from Toyota warehouses. Can you believe they used cardboard storage bins? Anyway, when they went to plastic bins, the warehouse got rid of all the new cardboard ones they had left. I jumped on the chance to get them.

Last edited:
Well, I managed a Toyota dealership for about 18 years.

30 of my 37 years was with Toyota, 26 as a Parts Manager. That makes the non-numeric sequence even worse.......:lol:

Well, I managed a Toyota dealership for about 18 years. While others had drug and alcohol addictions, my addiction was much more expensive! Cruiser Parts.. In my down time I would search old part numbers and see what was still available. I had a connection at Toyota's warehouses, and often even though something would say discontinued, they were still able to find a handful still laying around on the shelf. That was especially true with older parts. Those were not transferred over in the new digital catalogs so they were pretty much forgotten about. I tried for years to get permission from Toyota to go look at the warehouse to see what was really there. No luck.

A few years ago I transferred to the owners Ford Dealership to run the show. Talk about a mess! That is for a different time.

As for the cardboard bins I use, those came from Toyota warehouses. Can you believe they used cardboard storage bins? Anyway, when they went to plastic bins, the warehouse got rid of all the new cardboard ones they had left. I jumped on the chance to get them.

So much has now become clarified. You now make sense to me. :)

Yeah I see that fst tailgate w/o hinges, so there’s probably some of those hinges in one of those cardboard boxes somewhere. Along with early TNK wiper arms. And early-mid sixties inside rear view mirrors. And CHG idiot light cluster gauge. Nothing I need. All for the next build.😛

I remember a long time ago there was a discussion, l think, in Unobtanium, regarding these early door inserts/grommets?.. we're they reproduced, does anyone know or where to get some? I'd like to get four of them...
Thanks.. Cheers..

20190624_130708.jpg

Spector sells a replacement that fits the hole. They are not repops though.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom