Unique Seat Fabric in an FJ40 - Anyone Done It? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Those bottom pic seats, wow! And matching door panels! Leather?

@middlecalf

Hey Paul that’s actually vinyl as the customer uses it for his beach toy so he wanted something that could handle getting wet. Door panels were pretty slick as they use hidden magnets to attach so they can be easily removed. The build was a break from my more traditional builds 😎
E90A9870-5B94-4FE7-A9FF-7F0566C1B14B.jpeg
BD54671C-C066-4DB0-81B0-F514C690FF6B.jpeg
D415D769-A38C-4FD2-886C-A5F34D7E756D.jpeg
E29E4AA7-B562-43E3-A554-42C8779389BF.jpeg

I realize FJ40 is now classic. Pendleton wool seats are fine for Barrett Jackson or as an investment. For an FJ40 to be used as intended when built, an interior and carpet would be stupid. Using an FJ40 during the years of production would include muddy boots on floor, fish and equipment in back, animals shot during hunting trips. ETC.. I have Pendleton blankets and would never allow fish/deer on them for the common reason.
So, a garage queen, use Pendleton , if one is still using a FJ40 as intended, vinyl or other weathered abuse , use that.
Well, I guess I'm stupid. However, my FJ40 is used for hunting, fishing, guiding, and 4x4 training. It currently has 330,000 miles on it. Not exactly a garage queen. And I prefer cloth inserts on the seats to help stay cool in southern Arizona temperatures. When I need to carry a field-dressed deer on the back cargo platform, which is covered in ozite carpet, I put down plastic. Stupid, but effective.

Well, I guess I'm stupid. However, my FJ40 is used for hunting, fishing, guiding, and 4x4 training. It currently has 330,000 miles on it. Not exactly a garage queen. And I prefer cloth inserts on the seats to help stay cool in southern Arizona temperatures. When I need to carry a field-dressed deer on the back cargo platform, which is covered in ozite carpet, I put down plastic. Stupid, but effective.
What was meant by what I said was when Toyota was in production for years they always used vinyl style and not an easily stained etc. material. My 1969 has vinyl and no carpet or floor mat . Even later years had a floor mat but I believe it was a rubber style, not carpet. Mine also has floor holes where when you hose the vehicle out, water can drain. Usually these were purchased for farm, off road hard work carrying things so a cashmere type interior really was not the best fit. One can certainly cover items when needed but one draw to a utility vehicle off the production line was ease of cleaning. I was overseas and even saw a lot of working FJ80s that initially came with no carpet. The floors were rubber as well. Diesel was also available. Since the FJ40 became classic, I know they are still used for sports but nowhere near how some were worked over the years. Take a look at the image and you will see what I refer to. I wonder what his seats are like ?

worked 45.JPG

My favorite part of that pic is the rock behind the wheel to keep the rig from rolling backwards. Ever the safety minded 😂!

Before the FJ40/45 turn to classic vehicles, I believe most people would look at the following image and expect to see what a utility work vehicle became after duty. Looks like he needs new interior as well. Seems he beat the heat on the seat using some towels.

worked 45 beach.JPG

I realize FJ40 is now classic. Pendleton wool seats are fine for Barrett Jackson or as an investment. For an FJ40 to be used as intended when built, an interior and carpet would be stupid. Using an FJ40 during the years of production would include muddy boots on floor, fish and equipment in back, animals shot during hunting trips. ETC.. I have Pendleton blankets and would never allow fish/deer on them for the common reason.
So, a garage queen, use Pendleton , if one is still using a FJ40 as intended, vinyl or other weathered abuse , use that.
Well the truck is going to fall somewhere between a garage queen and throwing animal carcasses and dead fish all over it.

What was meant by what I said was when Toyota was in production for years they always used vinyl style and not an easily stained etc. material. My 1969 has vinyl and no carpet or floor mat . Even later years had a floor mat but I believe it was a rubber style, not carpet. Mine also has floor holes where when you hose the vehicle out, water can drain. Usually these were purchased for farm, off road hard work carrying things so a cashmere type interior really was not the best fit. One can certainly cover items when needed but one draw to a utility vehicle off the production line was ease of cleaning. I was overseas and even saw a lot of working FJ80s that initially came with no carpet. The floors were rubber as well. Diesel was also available. Since the FJ40 became classic, I know they are still used for sports but nowhere near how some were worked over the years. Take a look at the image and you will see what I refer to. I wonder what his seats are like ?

View attachment 3347853
I bet he took the seats out and threw a few more bags, of what he is hauling, in the cab and sits on those. That right there is a business first safety 10th kinda business. He kinda cares he did strap the load down, so he can’t afford to lose any of it.

Well the truck is going to fall somewhere between a garage queen and throwing animal carcasses and dead fish all over it.

I doubt that. People today are taking the working FJ40/45 and making garage queens. Good business for Pendleton and cashmere makers. I just wonder why Toyota did not source all the fluff during production run. ?

I doubt that. People today are taking the working FJ40/45 and making garage queens. Good business for Pendleton and cashmere makers. I just wonder why Toyota did not source all the fluff during production run. ?
So now you're saying we're lying. Nice. I'll continue, stupidly, to enjoy my cloth upholstery when I'm on my way to hunt Coue's whitetail next month.

I’d love to have the cloth seats of my 80 in the 40. I rebuilt the DS two weekends ago and reused the 26 year old cover since it’s NLA from TEQ. Other than some wear to the outside bolster from the countless ins and outs, this stuff has worn like iron and is extremely comfortable.

IMG_2262.jpeg

IMG_2233.jpeg

I’d love to have the cloth seats of my 80 in the 40. I rebuilt the DS two weekends ago and reused the 26 year old cover since it’s NLA from TEQ. Other than some wear to the outside bolster from the countless ins and outs, this stuff has worn like iron and is extremely comfortable.

View attachment 3489389

View attachment 3489390

I know that everyone's ass is different, but I loved the stock cloth seats in my '91 FJ80, they were some of the most comfortable car seats (for me) that I've ever experienced.

Nothing wrong with a few upgrades that improve the drivability of these rigs. Always will be a few garage queens but most FJ40’s especially those represented here on Mud are still used off-road. Those of us that have the older rigs with original bench seats understand bouncing and sliding on and off-road. A cloth upgrade or bolstered buckets certainly improve drivability and only add to these trucks appeal in my view.

I know that everyone's ass is different, but I loved the stock cloth seats in my '91 FJ80, they were some of the most comfortable car seats (for me) that I've ever experienced.
I agree with this - have had a 91 and a 92, that era cloth seat lasts forever and is very comfortable

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom