Builds Uglina is Back Thread ('78 Mustard FJ40) (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Duh. Sorry.

Here's the best shot I have. I will see if I can take some more tonight.

124354964_86ef2846b4.jpg

A few observations. You really dove into this project fast for never having turned a wrench beyond changing your Porsche's oil. :beer:

It looks like you have a massive exhaust leak somewhere based on how much carbon is all over the drivers side of your engine, firewall etc. Since you are into it this far you will probably want to track that down. Also somewhat exhaust related, the fuel leak you plugged due to the juryrigged previous owner fix on your carb is supposed to be the fuel return to the tank. If you are not going to hookup a return line make sure your fix will hold. If it fails again and leaks onto your exhaust manifold... poof.

Great Thread!

PabloCruise said:
Actually, I think it was a two piece deal, head bolts mounted to rear of pump, and front of PS pump mounted to water pump...

I said similar :confused:

It is the pump bracket CCOT sells or used to sell. I cannot find it on their site again. I will confirm the next time I'm breaking stuff on TEQ's cruiser.

John Smith said:
A few observations. You really dove into this project fast for never having turned a wrench beyond changing your Porsche's oil. :beer:

It looks like you have a massive exhaust leak somewhere based on how much carbon is all over the drivers side of your engine, firewall etc. Since you are into it this far you will probably want to track that down. Also somewhat exhaust related, the fuel leak you plugged due to the juryrigged previous owner fix on your carb is supposed to be the fuel return to the tank. If you are not going to hookup a return line make sure your fix will hold. If it fails again and leaks onto your exhaust manifold... poof.

Great Thread!

PO had the manifolds taken off and machined last year. In addition, it WAS leaking gas on the manifolds and I think that contributed to the carbon build up.

I don't think I still have the problem, but I will monitor it.

The carb will be replaced with a '78 unit in the "next phase" (i.e. after I get all this mechanical crap done).

Thanks!

Great thread. Please keep it up. Gives me much inspiration to go through my mustard 78 40 with 60K original miles. At first I wasn't too sure about the color too but it is growing on me....especially seeing what it could look like by seeing yours. Thanks

bull said:
I said similar :confused:

It is the pump bracket CCOT sells or used to sell. I cannot find it on their site again. I will confirm the next time I'm breaking stuff on TEQ's cruiser.

Here, I think this is the piece CCOT used - wanting TEQ to verify w/ pics...
ccot brackets.jpg

AATLAS1X said:
Off the subject a little, But is the Oil cooler missing?

Wow, you are right. I didn't even know there was an oil cooler. I guess I did notice a oil line running along the passengers side of the valve cover in other rigs, but I figured it was a year-year thing.

Is this a Bad thing? Or a non-issue? Would CCOT have taken it off when they installed the A/C?

If I recall correctly not all 78's have the oil cooler. It's probably a nice thing to have if you have one but not a problem if you don't.

TEQ said:
Wow, you are right. I didn't even know there was an oil cooler. I guess I did notice a oil line running along the passengers side of the valve cover in other rigs, but I figured it was a year-year thing.

Is this a Bad thing? Or a non-issue? Would CCOT have taken it off when they installed the A/C?

I bought a CCOT Land Cruiser. 79 Red and it was a basket case I found out. It has aftermarket parts everyplace, Incorrect carb like yours and emissions that were bare bones and from an earlier year. And the famous CCOT P/S and A/C.

I would run a cooler if I was you. I have the correct bolts, huge bango if you need them and they are new. you will need 2 "O" rings and 2 copper washers. run the coolant hose and your in business.

Robert LaDuke said:
If I recall correctly not all 78's have the oil cooler. It's probably a nice thing to have if you have one but not a problem if you don't.

I have no idea, but I have never seen one with out....:confused:

I wonder, is it a port of entry item. Meaning all NW cruisers had the side window defrost and the Texas area did not.

Fact, You cannot buy a Ford Mustang Convertable in Oregon with a White top, only black. You cant buy one in AZ with a black top only white.

Cant get a F-series Truck in "Root Beer" brown in Oregon but you can in Texas........

Manufacture research of options.....

So I wonder if it was the same for Toyota's?

AATLAS1X said:
I wonder, is it a port of entry item. Meaning all NW cruisers had the side window defrost and the Texas area did not.

Fact, You cannot buy a Ford Mustang Convertable in Oregon with a White top, only black. You cant buy one in AZ with a black top only white.

Cant get a F-series Truck in "Root Beer" brown in Oregon but you can in Texas........

Manufacture research of options.....

So I wonder if it was the same for Toyota's?

Mine is a 12/78 CA model and it has the cooler. Thought maybe it was a CA thing but I've seen it on federal models too. Maybe it was a mid-year add on.

Did some digging around on the oil cooler thing...

The thingy that the water hose goes into in the middle of this picture is called the waterhouse (according to SOR).

124574961_7220499836.jpg

The waterhouse top comes in two versions:

054-16B TOP WATERHOUSE-1968-1/79 NO OIL COOLER
054-16C TOP WATERHOUSE-8/76-1/79 W/OIL COOLER

So clearly Toyota made some rigs with an oil cooler and some without. I am guessing it was an option.

FWIW, This diagram shows the components that make up the oil cooler. And this page shows that there are two different oil filter assemblies (one for oil cooler equipped rigs and one for not).

I forgot you would need the oil cooler water pump. It has the extra outlet.....

I don't know whats high altitude is. ie parts or how to tell??

I'm sad now..............

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom