FJ40 Mustard Yellow Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So, I have a rough looking 1977 FJ40 I'm about to begin working on. The main color is mostly rust (lol), but it has had blue, green and yellow paint on it before. The original paint is still inside the engine compartment and up under crevices where other paint couldn't get too. I'm not sure what color I will paint my FJ40 in the future but I'm thinking about possibly going back to the original mustard yellow. I have seen online that the paint code is "532" for mustard yellow but when I'm looking at other persons FJ40's that there seems to be different shades of mustard? Are there different versions of the mustard yellow on different model years? They seem to be a color that look like cheap lighter mustard on a hot dog to a darker color like fancy mustard Grey Poupon lol.

Whether it is pictures or looking at vehicles in real life, colors will appear different. It could be the age of the paint or the device you're looking at the picture on. A good paint shop should be able to match the original paint you have left. Or, spray out a few paint cards and let you decide which shade you like the best.

There is the 304 orange which may look vaguely close on a bad screen, but based on the colour charts I have seen, there's only one yellow 532 which I have just had mixed up in a few 1k rattle cans to trial the colour and finish.
I've gone for satin, which is flat enough to be more like the worn original paint - the gloss was a bit too shiny and new looking, but depends what you're looking for.

20230913_212239.jpg

Mine is a 75 that has a 531 paint code on it. The one above is in the shade but doesn't look as bright?

View attachment 3429458
This makes the point very well - three photos of effectively the same colour with different cameras and different lighting conditions can look very different.
Nice looking truck, was the black pinstripe a factory option or standard for that year?

This makes the point very well - three photos of effectively the same colour with different cameras and different lighting conditions can look very different.
Nice looking truck, was the black pinstripe a factory option or standard for that year?

Thanks, they weren't an option or standard I think they were added on but pretty early. They've been on a while you can tell

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom