Builds Turbo 1FZFE FZJ80 Build (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My wallet is crying just from reading Jamisobe's writeup......

I am to modify the MAF after I get my truck back. Unfortunately, it was back at the transmission shop this whole week. The truck shifted superbly in manual, but Drive was not working correctly. The reprogram kit was rather extensive and Transgo mentioned a number of issues that may have contributed to the improper shifting in drive. Select Transmissions have been extremely responsive (at this juncture they are bound to get 5 gold stars-my highest rating) and they are working it out. I will give a final review of all the vendors I used when the work is "finished".

Check out Lilevo's thread if you are interested in MAF related issues and details on the URD fuel/timing calibrator. Although the URD unit uses a MAP sensor it also requires a MAF sensor since it is a patch solution that piggy backs the existing OEM engine management. It is quite possible that I may discard the URD in the future for a more elegant and effective stand alone solution, but as it may be of little surprise, money has become a limiting factor.

The Australian ECU options are very good. (we've been getting imported low km Japanese EFI engines since the late 80s which has driven the huge aftermarket EFI scene here and in NZ - hence why there are so many standalone EFI options from Aus/NZ - Motec, Autronic, Haltech, Link/Vipec, Microtech, EMS)

At the moment Haltech is the pick of the bunch for bang for buck - and not far off the best of the breed technically either. (probably 90+% the capability of Motec at about 50% of the price)

Last edited:
I have had first hand experience with an AEM running everything but wasn't particularly impressed. It was passable, but the software was a flaky. I should also point out though that AEM is a bit of a rarity over here and as such there are very few people who really know their way around the system. Whilst there were some bits that I thought left a bit to be desired I'm certain that a few of the apparent 'short comings' were down to our unfamiliarity with the ECU/software.

What we tend to do over here is run with standalone programmable transmission controllers - Prettymuch all of these come out of your country.

Whilst I haven't heard of anyone specifically employing one of these on a Landcruiser transmission, they are commonly used on the smaller A34x out of the Aristo/Crown/Supra which should be no different in operation. i.e. Two shift somenoids to give 4 possible gear positions - 1,2,3,OD, a PWM solenoid for line pressure and a converter lock solenoid. The controllers just need throttle position, speed, RPM etc and you can either run them as outputs off the ECU (depending on ECU of course) or just the signals off the same sensors as the ECU.

A PCS unit should do it - maybe bounce them an email.

And I'm sure this one is also on the radar for you guys.

Buying a full-house ECU and a trans controller can get expensive - but perhaps consider something like a Haltech Sprint 500 and a trans controller. The 500 is a pared down ECU that has most things that are critical, but leaves out some of the other more racing focussed features and is only 60% or so the price of the full house haltech systems.

Alternatively you can look at sending the factory trans ECU the required signals from the aftermarket ECU.

I have not had good luck running anything AEM, the EMS I had for my supra went through 3 boards and finally killed an engine with messed up ignition circuit. The wide band lasted about a year longer but then the serial out put to the ECU died.

Ended up running a Vipec V88 after the AEM final death and the difference in idle quality as well and drivability was noticed instantly (same tuner for both ECU's).

Haltech has always been a solid budget minded performer in my experience.

None have the ability to control an auto AFIK.

Yeah - standalone trans control is the way to go. The Trans control features that are present in only a very few aftermarlet ECUs are rudimentary at best.

In the last 2-3 years Haltech have actually made step change in technical ability.

As you say, they were the best 'budget' system, but have now jumped right up the rankings in outright technical merit. The change has been pretty damn impressive actually. They have moved into CANbus technology for connection between modules and are heavily i bed with the US company Racepack - hence the full compatibility with the Smartwire and digital dashboards.

I'm using a Vi-Pec V88 for my current build - haven't used it in anger yet, but everyone I know that has reckons they are the s*** as well.

To be perfectly honest - I've never heard or seen good things about AEM - and that includes both software and hardware - but I don't like to bag it that much around US blokes just in case they (you guys) take as parochial bias.

Aem isn`t too bad for the cost but ive had quite a few problems too. O-150 psi senders going bad all the time, couple ems boxes that totally died or had many weird hardware bugs. They are very quick and fair to repair or replace items though. I might dive into the haltech world one of these days on my awd mirage.

pretty sure wolf ecu's cn control toyota auto's. thats what the turbo 105 runs in the 100 section

Sorry to revive an old thread but has anyone had any luck with a stand alone ECU and the A442F trans without having to get a TCU? I am looking into either the Motec or Haltech control units to try and eliminate the need for the MAF sensor in my '94 1FZFE and hoping i can avoid dropping some more coin on a TCU as well.

Depending on the model, both the Haltech and Motec will do it. You are only activating shift solenoids on the 442. Supra guys have been running the Toyota Autos with standalones for years. With the later model 80's you do lose things like second gear start, OD off button etc. But I have seen standalones wired up with paddle shifters. Just depends how much you want to pay someone to do if you don't have the time to invest learning the systems.

That is the information I was hoping to hear. The '94 model had the stupid vane type MAF sensor, which to me, is just an obstruction to the intake and an all round bad idea which I am hoping to eliminate. Might have to give my local dealer a call and see what they reckon their units are capable of but thanks for the info does help. Will just have to add it to the list a mile long of things I want to do to the cruiser

Yes if you are turbo and are going standalone, a MAF is a waste, you can easily go MAP. Yeah give a tuner/dealer a call in your area, the best results will come from going with something they are familiar with.

I would think given your location, Haltech would be a slam dunk! I really like my Haltech 2000, but a 1000 would probably be more than you need.

As she sits the old girl is currently NA but i plan to look towards a turbo set up once i get everything to where Im happy. Thanks for the info there are a few "Platinum Dealers" within a stones throw from home so they should be able to sort me out and point me in the right direction

They used a T4 twin scroll around 1.05ar. Brett wanted like 550-600awhp. And wasn't that concerned with spool. But Brett had some issues and blew out the oil seals, and didn't have a great tune.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom