Owners opinions that had trucks.. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Had an 08 Tundra before I bought my 200. Had a bit of regret in the beginning but that was with the stock roof rack on the 200. Once I put the prinsu flat rack on, it was game over for the Tundra. It made no sense for me anymore as the roughly 4x8 roof rack carried long boards and full sheets of plywood better than the Tundra ever did with its 5.5ft bed. I also have 3 growing kids and the LC was a much better fit to my family. Ive put 80k miles on the LC now and haven't missed the truck once. I pull multiple trailers including RVs and off-road campers. It's never let me down at home depot. :)

Everyone has a different use case. Mine fit the LC. There are a lot more LCs running around here than anywhere else I've ever seen.

I have a Tundra and a LC both have different uses. I also run two businesses so I use the Tundra to pickup supplies every week. It would be more difficult with the LC. My wife drive the land cruiser as her daily and its a better kid hauler than the truck.

Had an 08 Tundra before I bought my 200. Had a bit of regret in the beginning but that was with the stock roof rack on the 200. Once I put the prinsu flat rack on, it was game over for the Tundra. It made no sense for me anymore as the roughly 4x8 roof rack carried long boards and full sheets of plywood better than the Tundra ever did with its 5.5ft bed. I also have 3 growing kids and the LC was a much better fit to my family. Ive put 80k miles on the LC now and haven't missed the truck once. I pull multiple trailers including RVs and off-road campers. It's never let me down at home depot. :)

Everyone has a different use case. Mine fit the LC. There are a lot more LCs running around here than anywhere else I've ever seen.

My tundra is the 6.5 and i'll be honest I didn't really think it would be THAT big of a difference till like a month ago. A buddy was asking for some help to move gear out of his house to another spot. He has a 5.5 and I got the 6.5, we just fit way more crap in mine and we both kinda laughed like how can one foot make that much of a difference.

I will say when I was in CO it was definitely land cruiser central next to Chattanooga TN, that place had 100's and 200's EVERYWHERE we were waiting to pull into our hotel and it was me and 3 other 200 series on the same road. I was like "what is going on over here".

I have a Tundra and a LC both have different uses. I also run two businesses so I use the Tundra to pickup supplies every week. It would be more difficult with the LC. My wife drive the land cruiser as her daily and its a better kid hauler than the truck.
That does make sense for running supplies/equipment to have a pickup. The LC is definitely the better kid hauler hands down. We use the 200 as the family road trip truck, but also adventure rig, and obviously daily duties when we don't want to use the van.

The 6.5 foot bed is definitely the better choice for a truck and glad to hear you have the double cab. The amount of stuff that is 6 feet long is endless (couches, pieces of wood, etc.), and that extra foot over the 5.5 makes a big difference for usability.

Plus the 2nd gen double cab can actually fit people in the back seats compared to the 3rd gen where the double cab back seats are useless for fitting people in haha.

There’s always the extender you could get.
But utility wise, longer is better. A friend of mine won’t touch a truck without an 8’ bed.

1700176169894.jpeg

The 6.5 foot bed is definitely the better choice for a truck and glad to hear you have the double cab. The amount of stuff that is 6 feet long is endless (couches, pieces of wood, etc.), and that extra foot over the 5.5 makes a big difference for usability.

Plus the 2nd gen double cab can actually fit people in the back seats compared to the 3rd gen where the double cab back seats are useless for fitting people in haha.

I was moving a friend of mine, and I took everything out of the bed and the rear seats (kid seat) and we fit his entire apartment in the tundra. I was like "I can't tell if this is impressive or sad for you that your life fits in my truck".

Yes, I remember the commercials and pamphlets. But again, it’s more about suspension, braking, and other components other than aluminum panels. This is why F250’s have 3k lb payload.
GVWR is calculated by the capacity those components can handle.
We’re not talking about HD trucks here. We‘re talking about trucks in the same segment with roughly the same 7200 lb GVWR. That means their brakes, suspension, etc are rated to handle roughly the same gross load.

One is a Tundra with a steel body that weighs 5900 lb. That leaves 1300 lb for payload.
The other is an F150 with aluminum body panels that weighs 5300 lb. That leaves 1900 lb for payload.

Again, same class, rated for same GVWR. That is the F150’s “secret” to high payload: significantly reducing curb weight. GVWR did not change.

We’re not talking about HD trucks here. We‘re talking about trucks in the same segment with roughly the same 7200 lb GVWR. That means their brakes, suspension, etc are rated to handle roughly the same gross load.

One is a Tundra with a steel body that weighs 5900 lb. That leaves 1300 lb for payload.
The other is an F150 with aluminum body panels that weighs 5300 lb. That leaves 1900 lb for payload.

Again, same class, rated for same GVWR. That is the F150’s “secret” to high payload: significantly reducing curb weight. GVWR did not change.

I’m not really going to argue this topic. I’ll just leave it at this.
Prior gen F150 had a 7,500lb GVWR (some configurations with HD payload package went to 8k lbs)
Current Gen F150 is right at 7,000lbs
Tundra is 7,200lbs

Same class does NOT mean same GVWR.

There’s always the extender you could get.
But utility wise, longer is better. A friend of mine won’t touch a truck without an 8’ bed.

View attachment 3483479

I think there's a trade in there. Longer is better in some respects, but it also makes some things worse. Towing generally prefers longer wheelbases but it also makes for a highway king that's a fish out of water when it needs to maneuver a trailer, say in a campground. That's where the 200-series wins in spades, while still towing a significant trailer in comfort.

I’m not really going to argue this topic. I’ll just leave it at this.
Prior gen F150 had a 7,500lb GVWR (some configurations with HD payload package went to 8k lbs)
Current Gen F150 is right at 7,000lbs
Tundra is 7,200lbs

Same class does NOT mean same GVWR.
Right, same-ish GVWR. All "half ton" trucks. 2nd gen Tundra is 6900-7200 lb GVWR. None of the 6900 lb trucks had any different components from the 7200 lb trucks. The 3rd gen hybrid Tundras are 7600-ish lb due to the weight of the battery. Same frame, brakes, axles, everything as the ones that have 72XX lb GVWR.

And yes, the unicorn HDPP F150 had a much higher GVWR. The exception that proves the rule IMO.

No offense taken. It's just a discussion.

570 and a Tundra here. The Tundra is my daily. The 570 is my wife’s. They both have their strengths, and neither one’s is fuel economy. Haha.

I love my Tundra. It’s the closest I’ll get to a Land Cruiser with a bed without buying a 25+ year old import. Throwing dead deer, a yard of mulch, 12’ lumber, all 5 of our bikes, etc in the bed is just too easy. Spray it out, and walk away. I don’t know if I could ever not have a truck with at least a short bed around.

We also have a utility trailer to haul ATVs, lawnmower, etc.

September this year in CO:
View attachment 3482841

Two years ago in CO:
View attachment 3482845
View attachment 3482850

Building a treehouse for the kids a couple years ago:
View attachment 3482846

Paging @AZBoatHauler
Same setup as @LX Cruiser - daily a 2017 Tundra and wife drives a 2017 200 series. While similar - we use them very differently.

My truck gets the dogs, camping trips, and anything that could get messy. I have it setup for off-road with sliders, skids, lift, tires, etc. Also is the primary tow vehicle for our sxs, boat, utility trailer.

The 200 is primarily kid hauler - taking kids to school, wife to work, kids to practice etc.

Plan is to run them both til the wheels fall off. 100k on the 200 and 94k on the Tundra.

IMG_7270.jpeg
IMG_7376.jpeg

I will say when I was in CO it was definitely land cruiser central next to Chattanooga TN, that place had 100's and 200's EVERYWHERE we were waiting to pull into our hotel and it was me and 3 other 200 series on the same road. I was like "what is going on over here".
It's funny you mention Chattanooga, TN. We live there, and there are 5 200 series just in our neighborhood. :rofl: The mountains just outside of town (Lookout, Signal) are where they really are stacked.

It's funny you mention Chattanooga, TN. We live there, and there are 5 200 series just in our neighborhood. :rofl: The mountains just outside of town (Lookout, Signal) are where they really are stacked.

I drove from Dallas to Chattanooga to buy my 200 last year. Went from the dealership straight to Prentice Cooper to get it dirty lol.

Same setup as @LX Cruiser - daily a 2017 Tundra and wife drives a 2017 200 series. While similar - we use them very differently.

My truck gets the dogs, camping trips, and anything that could get messy. I have it setup for off-road with sliders, skids, lift, tires, etc. Also is the primary tow vehicle for our sxs, boat, utility trailer.

The 200 is primarily kid hauler - taking kids to school, wife to work, kids to practice etc.

Plan is to run them both til the wheels fall off. 100k on the 200 and 94k on the Tundra.

I do typically use the tundra for hunting/camping, but any family stuff we rock the cruiser. The more I read though I really feel like I should just keep the Tundra hahaha.

It depends on your own needs and space, but I'm happy with daily driving my 2020 Tundra, and I only use my LC 1-2 times per week.
I do have a utility trailer 6x10 when the need arises.

It depends on your own needs and space, but I'm happy with daily driving my 2020 Tundra, and I only use my LC 1-2 times per week.
I do have a utility trailer 6x10 when the need arises.

It all kinda started as a "what if" and I did a bunch of reading but nothing really hit the mark. The only time I REALLY hate this truck is when I have to go to the city. It's just a massive PITA to park in the city on the east coast because they built everything thinking we would all be in Fiats. The Tundra and the 200 are driven basically daily. I am really thinking of removing the van and the 80 (maybe its been a big part of the family and also costs basically nothing).

I‘m on the other side of this, have a hundy with 330k and OEM parts are beginning to fade so I’m trying to decide on what to get next to relieve it of daily duties. 200? Tundra? The answer here seems to be “both“ 😅
The 200 is so damn handy, and part of this whole thing was "well we get a trailer and tada" but there are so many damn good points in here. Its funny right now the entire bed of my truck is full of scrap metal, and wood. I'm like "well this could have been in a trailer" but I see guys get stuck in the pit with tailers all the time because its basically just a mud bog.

So from my perspective prior to all this thinking, I'd say if a 100 has served you well this long a 200 would be even better. The 200 is definitely bigger and if you flip up the 2nd row its a massive wagon. Once the kids are outgrown of movies those TV screens are outta there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom