truck felt unstable after being lifted (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Seriously, forget Luigi and his exotic Italians. Find another shop.

You have negative caster. This is horrible, and for the most part, it's responsible for what you're not happy with.

You should have around positive 2⁰ to 4⁰ of caster.
If you have negative caster after fitting correction bushes, your only options are aftermarket radius arms such s Delta, or drop brackets.

Rear camber is not adjustable on these vehicles.
The camber reading here is either a measuring error, or a bent rear axle housing, I'd say measuring error.
Does it mean that the shop did the caster bushing upside down to cause the negative caster?

You have negative caster. This is horrible, and for the most part, it's responsible for what you're not happy with.

If you have negative caster after fitting correction bushes, your only options are aftermarket radius arms such s Delta, or drop brackets.

The camber reading here is either a measuring error, or a bent rear axle housing, I'd say measuring error.
In chapter one the ferraria shop declared ample castor angle.

I already made an appointment with Javier Garage in Houston on 4/14. They will take a look at it then. In the mean time, will replace a caster plates along w bushing correct the negative caster? These parts are pretty inexpensive so ...

If it was me I would put factory bushings back in and buy 4 inch drop brackets. You don't do serious off reading. Caster plates cause other problems and you have to cut up your axle. Get the drop brackets.

My castor plates worked just fine before going 3 link. I'd do it again. There is nothing wrong with castor plates as long as they are installed correctly. Most on here prefer the drop brackets because they don't require permanent modification and the rig can be reverted to stock if needed. I'm way past that point so i didn't care, once the plates were on with OEM bushings the truck drove like a dream, way better than the white knuckle driving before.

To the OP, @euro400
I am not trying to be rude but it sounds like you are not too worried about cost here. So do it once and do it right. Forget about caster bushings and caster plates. Just call delta VS and tell them what lift you have so they can send you the correct aftermarket radius arms with new Toyota bushings installed. This will get your caster right where it should be.

And then change the old suspension bushings and go from there.

Goodluck

To the OP, @euro400
I am not trying to be rude but it sounds like you are not too worried about cost here. So do it once and do it right. Forget about caster bushings and caster plates. Just call delta VS and tell them what lift you have so they can send you the correct aftermarket radius arms with new Toyota bushings installed. This will get your caster right where it should be.

Goodluck

I agree. If money is not a factor, this is the way to go.

To the OP, @euro400

Goodluck
No, I love your honesty!
I just don’t want to spend the extra money that’s unnecessary.
I will call Delta tomorrow though.

Last edited:
No, I love your honesty!
I just don’t want to spend the extra money that unnecessary.
I will call Delta tomorrow though.
You can't go wrong with the Delta arms, I love mine and worth every penny. Make sure to get the bushings installed by Delta, one less thing to deal with.

Most of us here have no issues spending your money for you........

Unfortunately, since you don't do your own work, you are vulnerable to whatever "expertise" any shop you walk into will claim. Every shop is better than every other shop....according to them.

Find a group of Cruiser heads near you (go to "clubhouses" above) and have them reference professional shops in your area.

There is guy in Houston that does toyotas only and lot cruisers, Duggies Garage is his shop, just take it to him and be done.

Update: I finally got an appointment to have the truck worked on at by Javier in Houston. He made some adjustments on the steering stabilizer and re-aligned the truck. It drives great now. No more additional parts needed like the other shop recommended. Thanks guys!

Update: I finally got an appointment to have the truck worked on at by Javier in Houston. He made some adjustments on the steering stabilizer and re-aligned the truck. It drives great now. No more additional parts needed like the other shop recommended. Thanks guys!
Can you post your new alignment numbers?

Just incase anybody reads this and has the same issue I had. I have about 4” of lift, a part time kit, and slee plates. This 80 never drove right, it seemed darty, touchy, and had extremely light steering compared to my previous 80 on 3” of lift, dobinsons plates, and the standard awd. After a ton of reading I realized that the slee plates only give about 5* of caster which put my 80 at the lower end of the factory spec (if I did the math right). I thought about replacing the slee plates, with dobinsons or bucking up any getting delta arms. But at the end of the day 4” of lift is dumb and the geometry goes super wonky. So I had a friend weld on a set of eimkeith RAMs and kept the slee plates. It should put me around 3.52 degrees of caster.

All of my previous issues with the steering were solved, there’s less body roll (even with a tent on), and it fix the diving under hard braking. I’ve never been happier with an 80.

The caveat for anybody who wants to use multiple caster adjusting methods is that you’re going to need to run a part time kit. The front drive shaft will probably rattle your teeth out otherwise. I haven’t had this issue yet when going down the road in 4wd. But I may just be dumb, slow, and lucky.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom