truck felt unstable after being lifted (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys,
My 97 LX450 was almost done with the restoration, and I've been very pleased with how everything turned out. However, after test driving the truck with Icon Stage III 3" lift and 18" wheels w BF Goodrich all terrain KO2, I had some concerns. Even I had the front and rear shocks set at hi, the truck felt very comfortable, and rides almost as good as stock unless at very slow speed and over bumps. However when I took it to highway speed from 50 and higher, the back end seemed to be unstable and tend to sway. The truck was still controllable but I have to focus 100% to be able to keep in the lane. I also had the steering stabilizer in the truck and the truck was aligned. Keep in mind, the truck had no frame damage and was driving fine with the old and aging suspension. Any of you guys have any similar experiences? How/what should I do to have this problem fixed? I am planning to play around w the shock settings but when I had it set at 4 in front and 2 in rear like someone on this forum suggested, the rear unstability felt worse.

Hi guys,
My 97 LX450 was almost done with the restoration, and I've been very pleased with how everything turned out. However, after test driving the truck with Icon Stage III 3" lift and 18" wheels w BF Goodrich all terrain KO2, I had some concerns. Even I had the front and rear shocks set at hi, the truck felt very comfortable, and rides almost as good as stock unless at very slow speed and over bumps. However when I took it to highway speed from 50 and higher, the back end seemed to be unstable and tend to sway. The truck was still controllable but I have to focus 100% to be able to keep in the lane. I also had the steering stabilizer in the truck and the truck was aligned. Keep in mind, the truck had no frame damage and was driving fine with the old and aging suspension. Any of you guys have any similar experiences? How/what should I do to have this problem fixed? I am planning to play around w the shock settings but when I had it set at 4 in front and 2 in rear like someone on this forum suggested, the rear unstability felt worse.
Post your alignment numbers

This sounds exactly like caster issues after a lift. Very common.

I will contact the shop on Monday.
What is the solution to this caster issue?
Caster plates
Control arm drop brackets (Eimkeith)
Replacement Delta V control arms
Caster bushings

The first is the least expensive and the most used.
The second is a "new" product to the market and requires alignment and welding, but is a good fit. It may reduce ground clearance.
The third is an expensive option, but is bolt-on and is high quality.
The fourth is inexpensive, but not high quality, and has a short life. Not very well reviewed by many.

Caster plates
Caster bushings

The second is a "new" product to the market and requires alignment and welding, but is a good fit. It may reduce ground clearance.
The fourth is inexpensive, but not high quality, and has a short life. Not very well reviewed by many.
I will forward this to the shop. Thanks so much!
Is it safe for me to drive it w speed over 50?

I will forward this to the shop. Thanks so much!
Is it safe for me to drive it w speed over 50?
Yes. Wider tires than stock will grab every rut and line in the road. That's what you're feeling. It can be alleviated some with a toe-in adjustment (adjusting them out a bit) but it will all increase tire wear.

There is also the aspect of the panhard bar is now at a different height and will cause your front and rear axles to no longer be in alignment with each other due to geometry. Delta V and Eimkeith both make a rear panhard bar bracket to compensate for this.

Suspension is a lot more than slapping on springs. There are pros and cons based on how much lift you install. When you go above 2" on these trucks, you start to cross over the limits of geometry tolerances and it quickly becomes expensive to offset and correct.

The next thing you will start to experience are drive shaft vibration issues.

Caster plates
Caster bushings

Got this response back from the shop

C967ED44-E87B-467B-9922-FD7B7B33567A.png

If you lifted and didnt use caster correction then the caster isn't in spec. And although caster is always the first thing people talk about, getting panhard geometry back to stock is also VERY helpful.

You need to post the numbers, I would guess that with 3 inch lift no weight you prob got about 3 and half to 4 inches. The bushings will not make that up. You should be positive caster between 2-4 degrees.

If you lifted and didnt use caster correction then the caster isn't in spec. And although caster is always the first thing people talk about, getting panhard geometry back to stock is also VERY helpful.
I will post the alignment numbers as soon I get it.
The shop used the Icon camper though...

You need to post the numbers, I would guess that with 3 inch lift no weight you prob got about 3 and half to 4 inches. The bushings will not make that up. You should be positive caster between 2-4 degrees.
I will post the numbers once it get them.

I will post the numbers once it get them.
What shop did the work?

There are some here that are well known and most don't even question.

Old bushings will make the truck feel loose too. Have you changed the suspension bushings? Also check wheel bearing play.
Did you buy the ICON kit through Delta VS?

The caster correction kit from Icon are offset bushings. I wonder if the bushing were installed upside down causing the caster to be way off.
1616334205884.png

Man a fre offers a drop bracket kit. Ironman 4x4 offers a new one. It looks like a better design but haven't seen it used yet. I am going to try it on my truck soon to replace the man a fre drop. The man a fre is great and honestly I haven't had any issues with clearance. I just want to try the iron man because it also moves the axle forward

The shop installed the icon caster bushings.
The caster correction kit from Icon are offset bushings. I wonder if the bushing were installed upside down causing the caster to be way off.
View attachment 2621344

These bushings from Icon have amazing installation instructions and come with a template. I kind of doubt the shop installed them wrong.

However when I took it to highway speed from 50 and higher, the back end seemed to be unstable and tend to sway.

To the OP, like others have posted try and get the alignment printout and post it up. Your alignment specs could very well be in range but the bigger tires and different suspension can exaggerate worn bushings. If I were you I would think about replacing all of the suspension bushings.

Based on your comment about the rear end I would also recommend looking into a rear pan hard drop bracket and adjustable front panhard bar.

Goodluck

Even with (OME) caster correction bushings, mine still handled poorly. Once I put my Delta 4" arms on, along with their panhard lift bracket, it was like night and day. (I started with their panhard bracket first it did provide noticeable improvement). It may be "within spec" but, I would never trust/use a caster bushing again. Choose any of the other methods listed by @BILT4ME and you will be extremely happy. The Delta parts may have been the best $ spent on my rig.

lifting your truck body of 3" plus 1" = 4 inches will give you a big swing against stock .
you need to adjust all parameters accordingly , caster ,alignment , springs ,shock , .
most probably once the wheel geometry is right , very right , springs and shock must be replaced and fine tuned to the different swing .
it will become a long and expensive exercise .
but if it is required for mall shopping , no problem .

Pony up for some Delta 4” arms and one of their rear track bar lift brackets and forget what white knuckle driving is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom