transmission hump fit (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

9/72 the tub changed. The outline of the hump stayed the same until 1/79. The hole openings had three versions. 9/72-9/73 was the first one. 9/73 three speed boots changed which changed the holes. Around 1/74 is when the H42 four speed started in the US. Obviously the three speed continued to be used in other countries.

Trying to figure out if the 74-78 4 speed transmission cover/hump will fit a 73 (10/72) tub.

Wondering if the new vender who in the process of making tubs for the 73-78 models might make these transmission covers. See your looking at a H55F. The 40 series H55F transmission shifter is in the same location as the four speed. Transfer case opening is a little further back with the 40 series H55F. 60/70 series H55F transfer case is further back as well as the transmission shifter.
Here are four covers. Upper left 1/79-10/82 40 series four speed. Upper right 40 series H55F five speed. Lower right is 40 series 10/82+ with either a H41 or H42 four speed. Lower is a 4/85-7/87 FJ60 inspection plate which is the same as a H55F. Both four and five used the 3F bellhousing.

IMG_2759.JPG
IMG_2764.JPG

If you end up with a 60 series H55F might consider grafting in a 60 series inspection cover.

Thanks for the wealth of information. I understand the shift holes changed from 3 spd to 4 spd. Did the holes where it screws to the tub stay the same 73-78?

While NLA I looked all the listings for covers during that time period. Shows six total. Three versions. The two three speed versions and one four speed. Each showing a second one with mechanical winch. Again NLA but it only shows one part number for the packing 9/72-1/79. By that would assume bolt pattern was the same during that time frame.

@KingAir Driver Thanks for the photo. The 74+ mat fits the 4 speed shifter location.

What are your plans for the running gear? Unless your planning an H41 or H42 four speed not sure worth changing transmission hump.
These pictures highlight the change in height in the transmission section of the tunnel 10/82. This was because of the H55F five being used in some 40 series. This change was on all 40 series built. Didn't matter if it had a four or five speed.
IMG_20180901_170531695.jpg
IMG_20180901_170503727.jpg
P1050977.JPG

Found this picture I saved off of mud.
5spd_78.jpg

Shows a 4/85-7/87 inspection cover on what appears to be a 72 FJ40. The location of the knob for the defrost on the heater and the seat frame would only fit 72. The transmission cover on your 73 should be taller. Best picture I can find showing the difference.
IMG_2374.jpg

Another thing the 73 model has four fixed nuts on each frame rail for either a three or four speed skid plate. I have found the split case skid plates both four and five speed would use the back three holes.

Another thing the taller transmission hump over the shorter one is why the raised edge along the side is different. While my 73 the vacuum shifter was gone other markets with both three speeds and four speeds still had a vacuum shift option. That's why the raised section stayed the same in the front and got longer in the back.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom