Tranny to Transfer case bypass hose (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

bsevans

Focus on the Journey
Threads
I've had a couple of request to give more detail on this setup. The hose is a steel braided -08 Parker "Tough Cover". The centerline distance between the fittings is 15" to 15.25". I made two, and they both fit. The short one is currently in place. The fittings are 37 Deg Flared Compression Tube Fitting, Tube X Male Metric For 1/2" Tube, M18 X 1.5 straight Pipe. McMaster-Carr P/N 4545K223 at a cost of $12.04 each (Catalog Item). The hose with two 90 degree crimp fittings installed plus two steel caps so I can remove the hose without having to remove the adapters was $35. About what you would pay at either MAF ($55) or SOR ($65). This hose is meant to carry hydraulic fluid that is -40 to 212 degrees. The fittings from McMaster-Carr have an outer steel washer with an inner rubber o-ring that seals against the tranny and transfer case housing.
Bypass Hose 02.jpg
Skid Plate 14R.jpg

Last edited:
The By pass Hose is cool Thanks for the Post ,

But the Wholey $Jit Look at the skidd plate!!!! :bounce:

i already did the bypass, but i too thought holly $hit now thats a skid plate.

Last edited:
For those of us who are ignorant about the purpose of this hose, what are you bypassing with it?

For as much work as it took sourcing all this stuff and as nice and well-thought out virtually every part of your truck is, why the band-aid?

I realize it's a $6 seal and a little more work than most are willing or able, but why not just fix the problem?

For as much work as it took sourcing all this stuff and as nice and well-thought out virtually every part of your truck is, why the band-aid?

I realize it's a $6 seal and a little more work than most are willing or able, but why not just fix the problem?

When I pull the tranny and transfer to rebuild them I will. I might add that the bandaid works quite well thank you. I do not see a downside to the bypass hose. A little more work - that's very humerous. Maybe you have a nice shop you can pull your vehicle in to work on. I can not clear the garage door much less jack the vehicle up, so all in vehicle work for the last 23 years has been done in the driveway which is paved with rock. At almost 62, I'm inclined to take the path of least resistance when on my back getting rock bruises.

I forgot to thank you bsevans for doing all the work on this. I also had a custom hose made which lookes exactly like yours. I just called up the nearest hydraulic hose shop and told them what I wanted, they had it made in a day. Cost me the same as I would've paid at MAF or SOR.

The difference between adding this hose and replacing that $6 seal is more than just a little more work. Even when I do get around to replacing the seal, I'm still going to leave the hose in place as added protection.

I realize it doesn't fix the cause of the problem, but the way I see it, it's cheaper than rebuilding a transfercase. You never know when the seal is going to fail. My seal wasn't leaking the first time I checked the fluid levels, but when i checked last week the tranny was overflowing. The problem is, unless you're crawling down there checking the fluid regularly, you're not going to catch it. It was just luck that I probably hadn't driven more than 50 miles at low speeds, so I doubt any damage had been done. Now that I'm driving more often I feel much safer knowing that at least my transfercase won't run dry.

Last edited:
I've been wanting a skid plate like that for some time, and to find out Caid is right in my back yard.

Thanks bsevans :cheers:

I had bought the stuff to make a bypass hose for mine years ago for about $20 from a local hydraulic hose shop. 2 years ago I rebuilt the t-case and changed that seal. About 10k miles later it was leaking again. So I put the hose back on.

In a Landcruiser it always pumps from the transfer to the tranny. In a Jeep it is normally the other way around. It pumps from the unit that has the higher pressure to the unit with the lower pressure. The hose helps reduce the pressure differential and lets the excess pumped into the tranny drain back to the transfer case.

When I pull the tranny and transfer to rebuild them I will. I might add that the bandaid works quite well thank you. I do not see a downside to the bypass hose. A little more work - that's very humerous. Maybe you have a nice shop you can pull your vehicle in to work on. I can not clear the garage door much less jack the vehicle up, so all in vehicle work for the last 23 years has been done in the driveway which is paved with rock. At almost 62, I'm inclined to take the path of least resistance when on my back getting rock bruises.

bsevens

You seem to have so many good ideas and info to share with us here on mud so maybe I can return the favor now. I am also having to lay on gravel to work under my 40 for now. Then--- I spied a floor pad that goes under an office chair. I tried it under my 40 and WOW, what a difference it made! The pad I have is the 1/4" thick type similar to plexiglass, without the little sharp carpet nubs on the back.

Hope this is helpful

bsevens

You seem to have so many good ideas and info to share with us here on mud so maybe I can return the favor now. I am also having to lay on gravel to work under my 40 for now. Then--- I spied a floor pad that goes under an office chair. I tried it under my 40 and WOW, what a difference it made! The pad I have is the 1/4" thick type similar to plexiglass, without the little sharp carpet nubs on the back.

Hope this is helpful

Thanks, and that's a great idea. I'm going to Costco today.

Which seal is it that causes this? I'd like to have one on hand when I do my 4spd tranny swap in my 72 with the original transfer case. I might as well replace this seal while it's all torn apart. I think I'll add this bypass also as an extra precaution.

x2, and I do not have a nice heated shop to work in. I would rather spend the energy on the repair vs. bypass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom