Tranny to Transfer case bypass hose (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What do you think if you combine the bypass with an elevated breezer?
So you extend the hose 4-7 feet up to the engine/battery area and the ventilation is higher than before.
Since I often drive through flood here this solution would make sense for me and you kill two birds with one stone.

sg_vtg.JPG

What do you think if you combine the bypass with an elevated breezer?
So you extend the hose 4-7 feet up to the engine/battery area and the ventilation is higher than before.
Since I often drive through flood here this solution would make sense for me and you kill two birds with one stone.
<snip>
Did you mean breather?

The T-Case already has a breather, if you add another you will still stand a good chance of water getting the stock one since the spring/seal can easily get gummed up and stop operating. IMHO it would be better to adapt a fitting to the stock breather and extend that.

Just to share a personal experience:

I recently ordered and installed the SOR bypass hose on my rig. SOR must make at least 6000% profit on the hose because I bet the material cost is very low. If I had to do it over again I would have just taken the time, made my own, and saved some dough (not that I mind spending money, but to know you are getting drilled can be too much!).

Did you mean breather?

The T-Case already has a breather, if you add another you will still stand a good chance of water getting the stock one since the spring/seal can easily get gummed up and stop operating. IMHO it would be better to adapt a fitting to the stock breather and extend that.

Yes, I meant breather, sorry, must have been confused last night writing this.

Extending the hose for ventilation was just an idea but if you think it might cause more trouble I better don't do it.

These hoses are sold for 40-60 $ on the internet, I think only the material can't cost more than 10-15.

Yes, I meant breather, sorry, must have been confused last night writing this.

Extending the hose for ventilation was just an idea but if you think it might cause more trouble I better don't do it.

These hoses are sold for 40-60 $ on the internet, I think only the material can't cost more than 10-15.
I think extending the OEM T-case breather is an excellent idea.

I think extending the OEM T-case breather is an excellent idea.

You mean the new hose or the original breather?

The question for me is: does the transmission (in my case I have the 4-speed) need oil pressure at all to operate like the engine needs oil pressure?

The common problem is that low pressure might kill the bearings while high pressure will kill the seals.

You mean the new hose or the original breather?

The question for me is: does the transmission (in my case I have the 4-speed) need oil pressure at all to operate like the engine needs oil pressure?

The common problem is that low pressure might kill the bearings while high pressure will kill the seals.
I was very unclear in what I was trying to say. Let me try again.

If you add a new breather you would need to plug the OEM breather or it would defeat the purpose of the new, extended, breather. IMHO it would be simpler to extend the OEM breather. IIRC the OEM breather uses a 1/8 NPT thread so you don't even have to tap the t-case, just thread a 90° hose barb in and add a section of plastic tube. I ran mine up to the fire wall then stuck the OEM breather cap back in the end of the tube.

Same difference isn't it? Add an extension to the bypass hose or add an extension to the existing breather.

Same difference isn't it? Add an extension to the bypass hose or add an extension to the existing breather.
Except that if you add one to the by pass you need to block the OEM breather.

Also the OEM breather is on the top of the t-case above the oil level, the bypass will by definition be below the oil level.

It isn't the seal on 4 speed cases, it is the worn splines on the output shaft and the gear oil seeps through the splines. Replacing the seal won't change the situation. I think it was Mark Algazy that figured this out, but I wish it was me.
2X

If you extend the bypass for a breather....you will have no breather in off camber situations and maybe an oil spout. IMHO stick with extending the OEM breather.

... Tube, M18 X 1.5 straight Pipe. McMaster-Carr P/N 4545K223 at a cost of $11.16 each (Catalog Page)...

I just went under the car to remove the fill plug of the transfer case as example for the shop.
Then I compared it to the fill plug of the transmission and the one of the transmission (4-speed) seems to be much bigger.
Do you have the measurements for the transmission?

Thank you thank you thank you.

Once again the Forum saves my sanity. I was getting really tired of asking stupid new guy questions then I stumbled upon this thread. I was dumbfounded why my transmission kept “filling up” with lube. I was thinking it was filling up with motor oil, never thought the source was the transfer case. Now that I know I will build my transfer hose

Thanks!

Today was the day!
I also have my bypass now, custom-made.
18mm thread was not available in the local hydraulic store so I went to a machine shop (not even from their HQ).

The hose looks pretty huge, bigger than on the sample pic, you will be surprised!
I guess the diameter of the hose is 1/2 inch or more outside!?

It cost me USD 36 and I can't complain about it because it was two hours of work for them to turn an 18 mm adapter since they don't have a lift n their shop and we had to use the nearby gas station.

As I thought there was 1 liter missing in the transfer case and the same was too much in the transmission. The guy in the gas station was pretty surprised first but then he understood.

PS: I didn't realize the thing with the breather, it is too complicated, it was a stupid idea. This hose will already take out pressure from the transfer case and give it to the "tranny".

bsevans said:
I've had a couple of request to give more detail on this setup. The hose is a steel braided -08 Parker "Tough Cover". The centerline distance between the fittings is 15" to 15.25". I made two, and they both fit. The short one is currently in place. The fittings are 37 Deg Flared Compression Tube Fitting, Tube X Male Metric For 1/2" Tube, M18 X 1.5 straight Pipe. McMaster-Carr P/N 4545K223 at a cost of $11.16 each (Catalog Page). The hose with two 90 degree crimp fittings installed plus two steel caps so I can remove the hose without having to remove the adapters was $35. About what you would pay at either MAF ($55) or SOR ($65). This hose is meant to carry hydraulic fluid that is -40 to 212 degrees. The fittings from McMaster-Carr have an outer steel washer with an inner rubber o-ring that seals against the tranny and transfer case housing.

Do you still have seepage from the trans/tranny area? I have had the hose installed and it weeps, if you will.

Do you still have seepage from the trans/tranny area? I have had the hose installed and it weeps, if you will.

I'm not sure what you are defining as seepage. The last time I checked the level in both the tranny and transfer case they were at the correct level in both. I did have a very slow leak at the transfer case front and rear output seals. When I changed fluids and put synthetic gear oil in both, I blended a mixture of 80 percent synthetic gear oil and 20 percent Lucas Stop Leak. Both leaks disappeared in less than 100 miles and have not returned. A convenient temporary solution until I can put new seals in. I will put the same mixture in after replacing the seals.

Synthetic oil, interesting.
What will the specification be, like 75W90?
Sorry, nobody was talking about synthetic ever in such an old car but if it helps.

Lucas Oil
Well, I am not in Northern America but I am sure they have something similar here in the Philippines.

UPDATE: 04/03/2011:
after installing the bypass the leaking of the TC got better, even after a mid-distance drive I do not see spill.
I wanted to buy this LEAK STOP yesterday but it is very expensive: 1 litre (3x 0.33 litres cans) will cost more than USD 10,- here,
I easily can get a new seal (just a comparison).

Since the bearings are good somebody told me I sould check the output shaft and if worn out put a bushing around it (http://www.dict.cc/?s=hülse) so it will rotate nicely. New shafts will be awfully expensive, as I read in other threads here in the forum.

Last edited:
Hey guys, I just discovered that I have the slow T-case to Tranny leak. I was in Sshuaia in Argentina and dropped into the local hydraulics shop. for $35 or so they set me up with 18mm by 1.5 banjo bolts and 13mm hose for oil. The thing that is nice able the Banjo Bolts is they are easy to open and check the levels unlike the barbed 90deg fittings from the Man-a-Fre kit.

I also have a slow leak (weaping) so like to keep an eye on my levels from time to time.

Hope this helps:
IMG_2483 (Large).jpg

24vRHD said:
Hey guys, I just discovered that I have the slow T-case to Tranny leak. I was in Sshuaia in Argentina and dropped into the local hydraulics shop. for $35 or so they set me up with 18mm by 1.5 banjo bolts and 13mm hose for oil. The thing that is nice able the Banjo Bolts is they are easy to open and check the levels unlike the barbed 90deg fittings from the Man-a-Fre kit.

I also have a slow leak (weaping) so like to keep an eye on my levels from time to time.

Hope this helps:

Wow cool idea, and cool that you were at the end of the continent. Do you live there?

My mother grew up in Bahia Blanca. Cheers!

We were just passing through. Doing a charity drive from Buenos Aires to Ushuaia (Via Bahia Blanca) and then up to Colombia. We have a build thread here on mud if you search for "2 diesels, 4 continents." You can also track us real time at 4by4 » 20,000km To Raise $20,000… The Ride Of A Lifetime!. The hydraulic shop in Ushuaia was a great help, Ushuaia Hydraulico on Campos st. They encouraged us to do the work right in front of their shop in case we needed anything else, good guys!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom