Toyota Diesel Preformance, Steep Passes Like Vail (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Which of these motors will do better than others on steep mt passes like Vail Pass on I70?

4.2L 1HZ INLINE 6 CYLINDER DIESEL
1HD-T 4.2L INLINE 6 CYLINDER TURBO DIESEL
3.5L 1PZ INLINE 5 CYLINDER TURBO DIESEL
12H-T 4.0L INLINE 6 CYLINDER TURBO DIESEL
2H 4.0L INLINE 6 CYLINDER DIESEL
2L-TE 2.4L INLINE 4 CYLINDER TURBO DIESEL ENGINE

Will any of these do as well as the 1FZFE going up Vail? If not, how much slower?

My 2H 4.0L INLINE 6 CYLINDER DIESEL (w/turbo) slows down significantly on the steep passes. I'm usually in 3rd or 4th gear doing 45-50mph. Will chug along for eternity, just wont get you there quickly. On the flat highways (I-25) I'm usually holding 75mph at 2,800RPM.

An up-tuned 1HD-T or -FT will have little problem running up the high altitude passes. Adding an aftermarket turbo and intercooler will help even more. Based on my experience with my -HT, it actually does better than my 1FZ-FE with the TRD charger ever did. TD boost keeps the motor happy when at altitude...the key is keeping an eye on the EGT's.

Which of these motors will do better than others on steep mt passes like Vail Pass on I70?

4.2L 1HZ INLINE 6 CYLINDER DIESEL
1HD-T 4.2L INLINE 6 CYLINDER TURBO DIESEL
3.5L 1PZ INLINE 5 CYLINDER TURBO DIESEL
12H-T 4.0L INLINE 6 CYLINDER TURBO DIESEL
2H 4.0L INLINE 6 CYLINDER DIESEL
2L-TE 2.4L INLINE 4 CYLINDER TURBO DIESEL ENGINE

Will any of these do as well as the 1FZFE going up Vail? If not, how much slower?

If you'd driven a 1HZzzzzzz, it would not be in your list :rofl:

1PZ = 5/6 1HZ, so if a 1HZ can't do it a 1PZ won't have a chance.

Even a 1HD-T bone stock will struggle to hold speed, and don't ask it to accelerate up a grade!

With some mods (even upping boost to 15psi with no other changes helps a LOT), it does pretty well. With some more mods (intercooler, aftermarket turbo, tune) it will excel at this kind of thing. But it's not stock anymore.

I can haul 4 people and a ton of gear up the passes while keeping around 110 kph. I am generally passing vehicles much newer. It's a stock 1hdt with an intercooler and the fuel and waste gate dialed up a bit.
Hey Dan1554,

Do you have a build thread? I'd love to get more detail on how much your intercooler helped you out. With the Gturbo but without an intercooler, I can pull up hills at a decent rate out hear in the Northeast. That being said, I want to build my rig to handle I-70 up to the Eisenhower tunnel and I think I'd have to let off the throttle in that situation now.

@Lumpskie No build thread yet. Most of my IC setup was detailed in this thread: HDJ81 - HP Diesel Series 2 Intercooler Install & Review

I would definitely be getting an intercooler for a g turbo. It won't make your cruiser faster, but it will allow you to stay on the throttle longer. 110kph seems to be the magic number for me - the cruiser is happy there all the way to the top of Loveland pass and beyond.

Stick with the direct injection diesels (12HT, 1HDT, 1HDFT) and you'll be fine on any hill. All can be upgraded for more power and still keep temperatures under control.

The indirect injection diesels just get hotter and hotter the harder you push them (once turboed). It's a function of having the pre-combustion chamber in the head (IDI), vs the combustion chamber in the piston (DI).

Hey Dan1554,

Do you have a build thread? I'd love to get more detail on how much your intercooler helped you out. With the Gturbo but without an intercooler, I can pull up hills at a decent rate out hear in the Northeast. That being said, I want to build my rig to handle I-70 up to the Eisenhower tunnel and I think I'd have to let off the throttle in that situation now.

A few of my friends have recently intercooled their 1HD-Ts and FTs. All report about a 200 degree drop in EGTs, and the inability to reach EGTs higher than 1150.

I have major intercooler envy.

For the OP, an intercooled, G Turbo'd 1HD-T (or FT) is what you seek. It's also what I seek :D

are we all agree that from the OP list the 1HD-T it's the best option .. upgrades more, upgrades less from the list it's the best choice ..

are we all agree that from the OP list the 1HD-T it's the best option .. upgrades more, upgrades less from the list it's the best choice ..

Absolutely. From that list, 1HD-T all day, any day.
As mentioned, turn up the wick a bit and it will leave a stock 1fzfe in its wake, and use less fuel to do it.

A steep mountain grade and a 2LTE is a VERY bad idea without serious performance upgrades. A 1HDTE will feel the most comparable to your 1FZFE.

This. Very much this.

I have a 2LT-E. I live in the mountains of CO. I live with it, but I wouldn't toss the keys to someone to let them do it. On hot days I just accept that I will pull over once or twice and read a book a while to let the engine cool down. Meh.

Our 3B/Turbo isn't so bad, can pull the 40 up Vail pass at 55mph all day long. The 12HT flies up it no problem. WAY better than Dad's FZJ-80 ever was.

I wish I had a 1HD-T for my 60 instead of the 1HZ, but I don't expect the 1HZ to be an issue.

Direct injected turbo diesel FTW though. That's plenty of power, and can run cool.

Dan

Like DanS says, a 2L-T will do it, but you may have to pull over or risk pissing off some folks.
I went all the way up to 12,900 a few weeks ago, and was quite surprised with how much the ole' gal started smoking at altitude.
No issues on the way up, but on the way down it looked like a mosquito truck. Back below 8000 no issues with smoke.

I have a 1989 HJ61 with a 12HT - Custom intercooler, 3" straight pipe, Hallman manual boost controller turned to 13psi, Fuel turned up, and a h55.

I've been up every major mountain pass in the state and have driven 150k miles in the truck since i picked it up 4 years ago. Initially I had the auto but the manual has been a game changer.

The addition of the intercooler allows me to easily chug up Vail pass at 100kmh or low 60's with EGT's just under 1100F going West.

Coming east I take it a little slower as it's steeper ascending from Vail proper vs. Copper @ 10k ft.

All in all I'm happy but I certainly don't mash the pedal to the floor. I drive by the EGT's on I-70 not the speedometer.

1PZ = 5/6 1HZ, so if a 1HZ can't do it a 1PZ won't have a chance.

Even a 1HD-T bone stock will struggle to hold speed, and don't ask it to accelerate up a grade!

I have driven my 1PZ from Boise to McCall, it is no "up to Vail" but it does climb pretty good. No probs at all keeping up with traffic. Then again, I do have factory 4.56 gears.

And that is the thing people never seem to talk about when these kinds of threads come up.

What gearing does the truck have?
Auto or manual?
What size tires?
Any mods?
Weight increased by bolt ons?

Ya want to go fast up to Vail in an 80, drop a v8 in it. My good friend lives in Denver and that is exactly what we did to his 96 LX, a 425hp v8 and he can do 90mph up the mountain now if he wants.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom