Tool bag, tool box, go big or go home (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

very cool, thank you for the vendor's name as I haven't heard of them before.
Yah it's a relative low budget Chinese brand in Egypt, I wanted diversity of tools vs expensive fewer ones, they should function as emergency rather than daily use.

Yah it's a relative low budget Chinese brand in Egypt, I wanted diversity of tools vs expensive fewer ones, they should function as emergency rather than daily use.
The last thing I want is a tool to brake in a emergency on the trail where a replacement would be hard to get.
I do see redundancy in your kit so that’s would help.
For me I like high quality 80 specific tools and just what I need to keep weight down.
Just Sayin 😉

Cheers

The last thing I want is a tool to brake in a emergency on the trail where a replacement would be hard to get.
I do see redundancy in your kit so that’s would help.
For me I like high quality 80 specific tools and just what I need to keep weight down.
Just Sayin 😉

Cheers
LOL it's not life time quality for sure but it's not one time use and it will break.
I have used them a lot before they are prone to rust but the quality is good enough for heavy use but they will wear out quicker then higher quality tools.

Check this out, this guy does some amazing tests on tools quite informative and helps in making decisions on tool choices.

Got this tool and its just great, makes cutting looms, bundled cables and old heat shrink a breeze.
The red side protects the wires and the rest just splits it open. Its great when you have a lot of rewiring to do (which is my case lol)

Screenshot_20221031_102804_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Continuing my electrical tools, i got this from Aliexpress. It helps to individually remove pins, replace wire, crimp and still fit it back in the original plug.

This with an assortment of car terminal connectors is great.

1667299208532.png

Continuing my electrical tools, i got this from Aliexpress. It helps to individually remove pins, replace wire, crimp and still fit it back in the original plug.

This with an assortment of car terminal connectors is great.

View attachment 3156179
@NLXTACY Sells a prison shank for just this reason. The ones ^ are good, but which one is the right one for the Toyota style plugs? And the ones I got are a bit flimsy. You don't want flimsy or guessing at 10 below zero on a snowy night on the side of the road filled with alligators. :)

I also got this which is a screw / bolt thread plug gauge, helped me to find a lot of bolts for my boat (no service manual old 1992 Seaswirl).

Screenshot 2022-11-01 170648.jpg

Last edited:
@NLXTACY Sells a prison shank for just this reason. The ones ^ are good, but which one is the right one for the Toyota style plugs? And the ones I got are a bit flimsy. You don't want flimsy or guessing at 10 below zero on a snowy night on the side of the road filled with alligators. :)
Yah problem with my car is it has a lot of patch jobs on it including wiring and cables, guess its trial and error XD and its not flimsy for sure.
I will not be facing those temperature related problems for sure, well maybe on other side of the spectrum when its 35-40 degrees Celsius in desert .....

Back 4 or 5 years ago I put together a nice TEQ tool roll and sold a number of them on Mud and our website. It was a great starter kit and had some of the "Must Have" tools required to get you out of a jam on the side of the road. Forward to 2022 and I'm looking at tools, tool bags, and tool boxes, for use at home, at the shop, and in the cruiser. As a general rule, I only have Snap-On, Blue Point, and Proto tools. Sure there a few others thrown in the mix like a plethora of Vessel screwdrivers, etc. but overall I buy quality in hopes of sparing my knuckles. It's worked so far.

At the shop I've got several of the 10, 12, 14, 17 etc. sockets, shallow, semi deep, deep, 3/8", 1/2", impact, etc. So I've got maybe 100 sockets, 2 or 3 of most at a minimum. Of course all the other tools and all in a well organized toolbox. Tools get used, and at the end of the day they all get cleaned and put back in the toolbox. Tedious, but it's worked.

At home I've got nearly the same tools that I have at the shop in a smaller snap-on toolbox. Still 8 drawers filled with clean tools of all the appropriate sizes.

At the shop, and at home I've duplicated most everything. 2 @OTRAMM plates for pulley removal, 2 sets of @NLXTACY Bushing Press sets with extras, 2 4X torque multipliers, and lots of Toyota SST's etc. because I always need them. They work, and they're just a requirement at home and at the shop.

In the land cruisers it's a different story. That's what I am set out to change. Or not.

My ideal bags consist of 3/8" drive and 1/2" drive sets with 10, 12, 14, 17, etc. sockets in shallow and deep with multiple of each along with multiple ratchets, breaker bars, extensions, etc. It also has multiple 10, 12, 14, 17, etc. wrenches, open end, ratcheting, offset, etc. Filled with screwdrivers, pliers, cutters, etc. The problem is, it's expanded into 2 huge Bucketbros bags. One all 1/2" drive stuff that weighs about 30 pounds. The other 3/8" drive stuff along with all the other tools. It's about 45 pounds. I keep both bags in my ARB drawers and that works great. I feel like I have enough tools to handle nearly any situation I might find myself in if I need to take off to Montana on a moments notice. The problem is, it's 75+ pounds of tools, and it's impossible to find a 10mm line wrench to bleed the brakes without emptying everything out.

My ideal bags are in each of my cruisers, along with jumper cables and a few select trail spares. Again, so that any cruiser can hit the road at any moment without a second of thought. Just add some wiper fluid before I leave. That's the way I like to plan.

I'm sure that some will say that I don't have enough tools, and that's quite possible. Some might say I'm way over what I could possibly need, which may also be the case.

So, my first question is, what is everyone else doing for carrying tools? 1 big bag with everything in it and only use it while on the road/trail? Multiple bags with things separated and sorted? A real "toolbox" of sorts that has drawers and things sorted (not sure how that could work in a vehicle but maybe)? What are you using? Any pictures?

Do most people who use their cruisers for overlanding, trails, etc. carry a rather large set of tools? What do you carry? Do you use a drawer system for storing them?

Do you keep tools at home, and in the cruiser or do you move them to the cruiser when you hit the road/trail?

Or, do you skip all the tools and just let AAA bring you to your cruiser mechanic?

Anxious to hear any / all feedback and opinions. Great to see pictures of what you use.

Sorry I might have missed the answer to my question, but! Are you asking for just your own knowledge? Or are you planning on offering "kit" with all the information gathered from this thread?

If you are planning on offering a "kit" to be purchased, what would the end price be? I would be a buyer for sure! I'm guessing if you included snap-on, vessel, wits end, etc. It would be a pricey kit.

Sorry I might have missed the answer to my question, but! Are you asking for just your own knowledge? Or are you planning on offering "kit" with all the information gathered from this thread?

If you are planning on offering a "kit" to be purchased, what would the end price be? I would be a buyer for sure! I'm guessing if you included snap-on, vessel, wits end, etc. It would be a pricey kit.
I've got something in the works, currently in 10+ cruisers and just making sure it's right.

It's comprised of snap-on, vessel, wits-end, and a few others. There will be 2 versions. One with tools, the 2nd will include some parts as well, just because.

Yes, it's pricey, but isn't everything that's worthwhile? 🤔

I'll have details in time for Christmas 👍

I've got something in the works, currently in 10+ cruisers and just making sure it's right.

It's comprised of snap-on, vessel, wits-end, and a few others. There will be 2 versions. One with tools, the 2nd will include some parts as well, just because.

Yes, it's pricey, but isn't everything that's worthwhile? 🤔

I'll have details in time for Christmas 👍

Put my name on your list!

These will be part of the kit that comes with a few parts.
895FDBF2-5B39-4A9B-890A-51B83E6DF460.jpeg

Still hoping to have these ready in time for Christmas? Or did I miss a new thread somewhere? Haven’t quite figured out the vendor forums yet 😂

@Bludozer I will wheel with you any day. AAA is my friend. @Broski I like the cut of your jib-instigator and all around helpful guy. @musthave you are now on my radar (shut up and take my money kinda relationship). The OCD Toyota vibe is kinda flaky in this thread.

Still hoping to have these ready in time for Christmas? Or did I miss a new thread somewhere? Haven’t quite figured out the vendor forums yet 😂
@Bludozer I will wheel with you any day. AAA is my friend. @Broski I like the cut of your jib-instigator and all around helpful guy. @musthave you are now on my radar (shut up and take my money kinda relationship). The OCD Toyota vibe is kinda flaky in this thread.
Not going to make Christmas, I wish I could. I had to go back to the sewing group to figure Out a better stitch pattern that can hold better. Better thread. What I had isn't holding up once wet and dry several times and with weight in it. I'm reaching out to 3 other companies to see if I can work through options quicker. It will be pricey so it needs to be right the first time. I've learned a lot more than I ever knew about material and sewing. Keep looking here 👍

Not going to make Christmas, I wish I could. I had to go back to the sewing group to figure Out a better stitch pattern that can hold better. Better thread. What I had isn't holding up once wet and dry several times and with weight in it. I'm reaching out to 3 other companies to see if I can work through options quicker. It will be pricey so it needs to be right the first time. I've learned a lot more than I ever knew about material and sewing. Keep looking here 👍

maybe after you release it, you could share some material, and sewing knowledge?

Me and a sewing machine need to have a sit down to make some custom size storage bags :) I’ve learned a bit via the folks that make their own gear (MYOG), but I’m also curious to learn from your experience

Pressure test on different socket brands

Jack tests

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom