Tires that will fit (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was trying to look up some information about tire sizes that work with the 200. First I was surprised not to find a sticky on Tire sizes. Second, it seems that many of the threads are made up of "hi I am new, can I fit 37 inch tires without a lift?!" Followed by "LRN2 search noob!" replies. Then when there are posts on topic they are often contradicted by other posts in the next thread on the subject.

So, I thought I would make a new thread and try to consolidate the constructive posts, and hopefully reach a consensus on various tire options for stock and lifted 200's. I started this process but only got through page 1 of 4 search results before I realized I can't quote old posts anymore without extra code typing. Given that I am doing this on my IPad that was more work than I really meant to sign on to.

So, rather than tossing the quotes i had complied I am posting them here. Following are the more substantive recent posts on tire sizes. Please add to this if there is any other information that you think is worth knowing. Maybe this thread can become a worthwhile sticky for easy reference:

Was thinking to lift the LC in 2" to install the Mickey Thompson ATZ Radial 275/70R18...
But now wondering if such tires would fit the LC200 without lifting the vehicle
Pls let me know if any of you have tried/checked this
Tks for the help

This is already covered extensively on this site. Search function is your friend, but in short the answer is probably no. You could expect some degree of scrubbing of the front tires on the inner guard and mudflap. Changing the wheel offset can resolve or worsen this problem. Search for that info too. About 32.5" is the probably the max you can get away with on standard suspension and stock offset.

285/65/18 fits very nice on a stock rig and is a 33" tire. Well...32.7".

No rubs and looks great in a BFG AT KO.

----------

Hi All,

Got a 2012 LC 200 and thinking to change the stock tires for something more offroad, probably the Mickey Thompson baja atz radial 275/70R18 (i.e. 33").

Assume they will not fit unless I install a 2" lift OME set, otherwise please correct me.

So, assuming I install such 2" lift set, would there be anything I would lose/sacrifice by replacing the stock system by the OME?

Please let me have your comments

Tks a lot

Caster and camber are tough to set back to stock. It would be prudent to combine a lift with new upper control arms. You would expect to pay double the price for both over just lift.

-------

Duratrac 295/65R18------

Sorry to ask another tire question! But I have searched and seen that some have used this tire on the stock wheels, but I haven't seen any follow up on whether they rub. Are they too wide at 11.8"?

Yes I have the OME lift all around.

I am replacing my TG 275/70R18 tires. They have been fine. A little hard but I got almost 50K miles out of them. The 275 is a bit narrow and I would like a wider tire.

Thanks in advance.

I am running them, they look great on the truck. But yes, they rub a little. Mainly at full turn on the mud flaps. I trimmed them a fair amount, but after awhile I started to not notice the noise.

Yes, they rub on the front flaps. I took the mud flaps off. Mine are mounted on 18x9 rims.

------

Here's a pic of mine with OME 2" Lift with 9005/703 in front & 6029/723 rear. Tires are 285/70R18 (31").

285/70/18. That's a full size 33" tire. Plenty of good meat, not a piddly 31".

Hey TroutRunner - good point I had 31" Terra Grapplers and after installing the OME setup I went to 33" Goodyear MT/R's. Looks and performs great - on and off road.

Bet 33s scrub a bit on 3/4 lock without some minor elective surgery. Not a huge problem of course I'll admit.

Occasionally get very slight rub/scrub w/33's in the front only (when really articulated) even after minor surgery by unbolting mud flaps, no cutting required (see front fender well).

I've 285/75/17 pro comp xtreme mud tires. They are running well. More than 3000km went now. Most of road I run was off road.

--------

Whats up guys, I'm new to the forum and wanted to introduce myself and go ahead and ask the newbie question of newbie questions. I've finally had the patience and actually wore down a set of stock tires. I want the Nitto Terra Grappers but I'm not sure if I should stick with the stock size 285/60/18 or go up one size to a 285/65/18. The would obviously look better that would be reason one to get them, if I'm being honest.Do you guys think there will be rubbing issues? That's my main concern, if I loose a little suspension travel thats ok because this isn't permanent.

I used the search and answered my question, yes the 285/65/18 will fit

Yep, that is what I have. No rubbing and they fill the WHOLE well nicely.

I have that tire size, although a different brand name. Works great for me. Check out my website in my signature to see some pictures.

Alaska 2011 LC200 / Silver / 285-65-18 BFG All Terrain TA/KO

It seems not all tires are created equal. I have 285/65/R18 Nitto Trail Grapplers as a secondary set and they sometimes scrub the mud flaps very slightly on full lock. The tires measure 33.8 inches in diameter. I also have a 60mm lift.

I think it may be due to the extra square shoulder profile of the tire but the contact is only very minor so I have no inclination to conduct surgery on the mudflaps. It may also be that the reduced offset to +35 of the XD alloy rims is playing a part.

So do you think they wouldn't fit on a stock height cruiser? Did you measure the 33.8, on the website they say they measure 32.5? I suspect that your rubbing issues are due to the rims which i why I think I can pull on the larger tires with no lift using the stock rims.

Whoops, sorry got that wrong. My Trail Grapplers are 32.8 inches, whereas Terra Grapplers in same profile are 32.5 inches. Not much difference, maybe 8mm or so. I guess the rims must be accounting for it. They have moved the tires out by approx 1 inch.

Hi !
I have 285/75-17 (33,83" or 85,93 cm diameter) with a 2" OME front lift and 0,75" rear lift, 1,5" spacers, and the front tires rub. I removed the front mud flappers and I'm looking for a different solution (didn't find yet).
Rear tires work great.
Regards,
Luis

The tires are BFGoodrich MT T/A KM2, 285/75-17

--------

Within the next 5-10k miles, I'm going to need new tires. I got ~40k miles out of my Nitto TG's and will definitely run the TG's again.

Now that I am running a Radflo Coil-over setup (still awesome, by the way), what would it REALLY take to fit 35's?

I think someone on this forum did it already, however not sure who and searching was taking too long.

I'm looking at moving over to the TRD 17" wheels and would love to be able to run an LT325/70R17 size tire.

Any suggestions from someone in the US who has done this mod successfully?

Thanks!

The only 35's I've seen were on the Aussie guy with the Arctic flare setup. It's in the last few pages of the pic thread.

I would stick with a narrow 315 as the issues will be getting into the A-arms on the inside and the wheel wells on the outside.

You may need to adjust the bumpstops to limit upward travel.

As in everything, going 35's will be a trade off one way or another.

I have 35"'s, but it's the Arctic Truck model..
On these models the fenders have been cut about 4", but is it only due to wider offset on wheels..? Lift is only 40mm and bump stops bit bigger than originals.
I can try to take some close up pics tomorrow.

JBHorne,

See below 35's on shots pre any other work. You will need about this offset (+30-35mm) to allow full steering and to miss other components (easier without KDSS, mine has it!!). Then you will need Flares because of this offset (and guard cut to make use of full travel). See full build thread here LCOOL.org :: Log in (may need a log in?) and mag write up Modified LandCruiser

[URL="http://i1192.photobucket.com/albums/aa335/ballsbygm/Dogs%20200%20on%2035s%20build%20up/Wheelonnocut2.jpg"][URL="http://i1192.photobucket.com/albums/aa335/ballsbygm/Dogs%20200%20on%2035s%20build%20up/Wheelonnocut2.jpg"] [/URL][/URL]
[URL="http://i1192.photobucket.com/albums/aa335/ballsbygm/Dogs%20200%20on%2035s%20build%20up/Wheelonnocut.jpg"][URL="http://i1192.photobucket.com/albums/aa335/ballsbygm/Dogs%20200%20on%2035s%20build%20up/Wheelonnocut.jpg"] [/URL][/URL]

JB,

I'm currently running 34.1" tires on the TRD 17" rims. When the rear tires are fully pushed into the wheel well they do rub against the rear ARB bumper mud flaps. So you might run into an issue with the 35" tires and the ARB rear bumper.

sbly

Cheers Geologic,

The Arab mod is a full Arctic Truck version (they will sell you the Wheels also, not Flares though).

Mine has full lock to lock steering on 35's (with KDSS) Arctic Truck said this was not possible??? Without KDSS, I would guess 36-37's were possible (more Guard work would be needed though).

Mine is also a daily driver (95% on road) and impact on ride is almost impossible to tell, yes road noise is up (due the big muddies) handling and feel is close to original, acceleration slightly down (but chip and exhaust and 800+ NM fixed this, diff ratio change would bring this back and/or add further improvements if needed).

The cutting is easy (will cost nothing if you are just a little handy) but you will need to buy the Flares ($1000-$1500).

Without the correct Wheel offset and other requirements done, you could drive it around but it would rub and not turn very well as you say!

I would do it again as it's good on road and fantastic off, it will take a little work and $$, so if you need and want 35's, do it.

JB, your UCA and coilovers would make it work even better!!

JB,

I am running 285/75R17 (34.1 x 11.6") Toyo Open Country on the TRD 17" rims.

The only problem so far is that with my current rims and tires (34") I can't fit my 200 in my new garage.

Steve

JB,

Rims are Arctic Truck (branded and produced by/for them) 17" x 10" at 30mm offset per photo.
Tires LT315/70R17 (Mickey Thompson MTZ's) or 35" x 12".

Cheers
Steve

JB,

The Toyo MT's are 34.1 by 11.6 and I think the Nitto AT's are 33.8" by 11.2". I originally ordered the Nitto AT's but there ended up being a problem with the availability.

When brand new the Toyo's lightly rubbed on the passenger side KDSS at full turn to the driver side. They also rubbed on the front mud flaps, but when fully stuffed in the wheel well you could still fit your hand between the tire and wheel well. As for the rear tires, the rub on the rear ARB mud flaps isn't bad but going any bigger and you might have to do some cutting on the ARB bumper. I think I posted two pictures of the tires being fully compressed in my build thread.

By the way are you going to the Overland Expo this year?

sbly

The Nitto in 285/75/17 is the perfect size for most toyotas.. I have gotten about 50k miles on my TG's and still have 8/32s.

I wish they just weren't so heavy.

Sent from my iPad

I'm running Toyota's recommended "off-road" setup for the 200 series Land Cruiser which is the TRD 17 x 8 x 50mm Forged Aluminum Wheel with LT285/70R17 121/118R BFG All-Terrain T/A KO tires @ 46psi.

These tires are 32.8" and fit with no rubbing.

I would be reluctant to recommend any tire larger than these on a truck that has not been lifted (which, of course, Toyota does not recommend).

Under the section "General Applicability" on their Tech Sheet for this installation they say:

Applicable to 2007+ Tundra, 2008+ Sequoia & Land Cruiser.
Use only with tire size LT285/70R17 M+S

I don't know why Toyota specifically recommends the BFG All-Terrain T/A tires, but I imagine any 285/70-17 tire that is the same dimensions (i.e. 32.8" diameter) and load carrying capacity as the BFG AT T/A would work.

I'm running Toyota's recommended "off-road" setup for the 200 series Land Cruiser which is the TRD 17 x 8 x 50mm Forged Aluminum Wheel with LT285/70R17 121/118R BFG All-Terrain T/A KO tires @ 46psi.

These tires are 32.8" and fit with no rubbing.

I also use this dimension - LT285/70R17 - together with Cooper STT Tyres (mud terrain)

It was a great setup for our transafrica!

Surfy

Im running LT275/70/18 Wrangler Duratracs which fit fine with a 2" OME lift. But I will be changing over to a non-LT narrower 265/70/18 Michelin LTXs and keep the Duratracs on separate rims so that I can quickly change over for an expedition trip when need be.

the actual tire shape comes into play also the BFG seem to have a narrow section on the edge compared to like a Toyo open country which is more squared off.

Correct. Along with tire shape another variable is wheel offset.

I was thinking about some of these, with the TRD wheels.
Size: P285/70R17
Sidewall Style: Outlined White Letters
Serv. Desc: 117T Load Index 117 = 2892lbs (1315kg) per tire
Speed Rating “T” = 118mph (190kph)
UTQG: Treadwear: 480
Traction: A
Temperature: B480 A B
bfg_rugter_ta_ci3_l.jpg

I think these should fit without issue, since Gaijin is running same wheel with same size LT ATKO.

Currently I have the stock LC200 rims, 17x8 with stock Dunlop AT 285/65/R17 with 2'' lift, and am thinking of getting the locally available Maxxis Mudder Buckshot LT305/70R17.

will they rub? issues? any alternate 'bigger' size than stock recommended...

my new-to-me 2011 Land Cruiser needs new shoes desperately, but I am taking my time to research 18" tires on stock wheels.

I went to discount tire and they recommended some Michelin tires that were rated for 70,000 miles but not real sexy. Really would like something with more brawn.

Another request for my replacement tires would be good Wet weather performance. I have had Nitto Terra Grapplers on my 2005 Sequoia and have been unhappy with their performance in rain and snow. Seemed to loose traction and "spin out" easily.

So at the sake of a little mileage but gaining that a more aggressive looking tire with wet weather performance, any suggestions?

Last edited:
There's a new Nitto EXO Grappler due out next month. Supposedly improved snow traction over other tires in their line.

@KY Longhunter were your Toyos the Open Country ATs or the newer AT/IIs? I ask because I fitted a set of AT/IIs a month ago in P275/65R18 and have been very impressed with their wet traction and all around performance on pavement as well as dirt.

Misspellings courtesy of autocorrect from my iPad using IH8MUD Forum

Elkaholic ... I need to correct my post. My previous tires were Nitto Terra Grapplers that had crappy wet weather performance, not the Toyos. And this was on my RWD Sequoia.

My bad.

I'm still researching the tire size / brand on stock suspension thing. Are the Toyo EXOs worth waiting for?

...via IH8MUD app

@KY Longhunter were your Toyos the Open Country ATs or the newer AT/IIs? I ask because I fitted a set of AT/IIs a month ago in P275/65R18 and have been very impressed with their wet traction and all around performance on pavement as well as dirt.

I too have the Toyo AT II's and have been very impressed. With wet, snow, and mud performance.

I would look for a P-metric tire, not an LT tire for increased ride comfort and tire weight. LT tires are significantly heavier and have adverse effects on acceleration, handling, braking, and fuel efficiency. Every 1 pound of rolling weight is equal to several pounds of sprung weight.

I would look for a P-metric tire, not an LT tire for increased ride comfort and tire weight. LT tires are significantly heavier and have adverse effects on acceleration, handling, braking, and fuel efficiency. Every 1 pound of rolling weight is equal to several pounds of sprung weight.

Precisely why I chose P275/65R18 (that and cost). The tires have the same load index as OEM, but are T speed rated rather than V ... not like I'm going to find someplace to comfortable drive that fast ....

P275/65R18...

So just to be clear I need P275/65R18?

Also, if I in the future get ARB Sahara front bumper minus hoop will I need a lift? (or help of some sort)

...via IH8MUD app

I am running P275/65r18. 114T rated tires. Slightly narrower and slightly taller than stock. My latest pic in the picture thread was taken after about 500 miles of use

what do you think about them so far?

what do you think about them so far?

Well I've probably not put 10 miles on them so far.

They are louder than the OEM tires, but that is to be expected. Not much, but a little hum.

They look good without being overly aggressive, which was something I was cautious of. They are narrower but not really noticeable.

Anyway I'll check back later .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom