What would it REALLY take to fit 35's under the LC200? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Within the next 5-10k miles, I'm going to need new tires. I got ~40k miles out of my Nitto TG's and will definitely run the TG's again.

Now that I am running a Radflo Coil-over setup (still awesome, by the way), what would it REALLY take to fit 35's?

I think someone on this forum did it already, however not sure who and searching was taking too long.

I'm looking at moving over to the TRD 17" wheels and would love to be able to run an LT325/70R17 size tire.

Any suggestions from someone in the US who has done this mod successfully?

Thanks!

The only 35's I've seen were on the Aussie guy with the Arctic flare setup. It's in the last few pages of the pic thread.

I would stick with a narrow 315 as the issues will be getting into the A-arms on the inside and the wheel wells on the outside.

You may need to adjust the bumpstops to limit upward travel.

As in everything, going 35's will be a trade off one way or another.

I have 35"'s, but it's the Arctic Truck model..
On these models the fenders have been cut about 4", but is it only due to wider offset on wheels..? Lift is only 40mm and bump stops bit bigger than originals.
I can try to take some close up pics tomorrow.

JBHorne,

See below 35's on shots pre any other work. You will need about this offset (+30-35mm) to allow full steering and to miss other components (easier without KDSS, mine has it!!). Then you will need Flares because of this offset (and guard cut to make use of full travel). See full build thread here LCOOL.org :: Log in (may need a log in?) and mag write up Modified LandCruiser

[URL="http://i1192.photobucket.com/albums/aa335/ballsbygm/Dogs%20200%20on%2035s%20build%20up/Wheelonnocut2.jpg"][URL="http://i1192.photobucket.com/albums/aa335/ballsbygm/Dogs%20200%20on%2035s%20build%20up/Wheelonnocut2.jpg"] [/URL][/URL]
[URL="http://i1192.photobucket.com/albums/aa335/ballsbygm/Dogs%20200%20on%2035s%20build%20up/Wheelonnocut.jpg"][URL="http://i1192.photobucket.com/albums/aa335/ballsbygm/Dogs%20200%20on%2035s%20build%20up/Wheelonnocut.jpg"] [/URL][/URL]

JB,

I'm currently running 34.1" tires on the TRD 17" rims. When the rear tires are fully pushed into the wheel well they do rub against the rear ARB bumper mud flaps. So you might run into an issue with the 35" tires and the ARB rear bumper.

sbly

35 trade offs

JB, Ive wanted to do the arctic truck mods since I had the 10 LX. I sold it because they only had the set up for the LC. Now Toyota in the Arab world is offering the Extreme Edition with 35s. You can see a photo of one at the end of the 200 photos thread in white with stock offering. There is a you-tube video of an Arab auto review showing one being tested in the desert. The drawback is loss of turning radius and expense of cutting the body to open the wells for large flares. I can't decide what to do so mine is still stock. Ballsbygm has my idea of the greatest example of a 200, but when I asked him how it affected the ride and drive of the vehicle, he told me not to do it unless I really need 35s.

JB, Ive wanted to do the arctic truck mods since I had the 10 LX. I sold it because they only had the set up for the LC. Now Toyota in the Arab world is offering the Extreme Edition with 35s. You can see a photo of one at the end of the 200 photos thread in white with stock offering. There is a you-tube video of an Arab auto review showing one being tested in the desert. The drawback is loss of turning radius and expense of cutting the body to open the wells for large flares. I can't decide what to do so mine is still stock. Ballsbygm has my idea of the greatest example of a 200, but when I asked him how it affected the ride and drive of the vehicle, he told me not to do it unless I really need 35s.

Cheers Geologic,

The Arab mod is a full Arctic Truck version (they will sell you the Wheels also, not Flares though).

Mine has full lock to lock steering on 35's (with KDSS) Arctic Truck said this was not possible??? Without KDSS, I would guess 36-37's were possible (more Guard work would be needed though).

Mine is also a daily driver (95% on road) and impact on ride is almost impossible to tell, yes road noise is up (due the big muddies) handling and feel is close to original, acceleration slightly down (but chip and exhaust and 800+ NM fixed this, diff ratio change would bring this back and/or add further improvements if needed).

The cutting is easy (will cost nothing if you are just a little handy) but you will need to buy the Flares ($1000-$1500).

Without the correct Wheel offset and other requirements done, you could drive it around but it would rub and not turn very well as you say!

I would do it again as it's good on road and fantastic off, it will take a little work and $$, so if you need and want 35's, do it.

JB, your UCA and coilovers would make it work even better!!

Last edited:
Steve,

What size tires are you running? You are using the 17" TRD's as well correct?

JB,

I am running 285/75R17 (34.1 x 11.6") Toyo Open Country on the TRD 17" rims.

The only problem so far is that with my current rims and tires (34") I can't fit my 200 in my new garage.

Steve

Steve,

What size tires are you running? You are using the 17" TRD's as well correct?

JB,

Rims are Arctic Truck (branded and produced by/for them) 17" x 10" at 30mm offset per photo.
Tires LT315/70R17 (Mickey Thompson MTZ's) or 35" x 12".

Cheers
Steve

JB, the Arctic Truck mods are now offered in Southern California. I posted a thread looking for a source in the US for these parts and they answered the thread about 5 months ago with availability. If you actually look at the web site that Ballsbygm references; you'll find that he did his own version. He used fiberglass flares instead of the Arctic trucks flares and a lot of custom work in order to make it look good with the ARB front bumper. He modified his rear inner wheel wells as well.

Steve, that same size is available in the Nitto TerraGraplers. How bad is the rub? Enough to worry about and binding or barely touching? What about the upper fender when fully compressed? I assume our shocks have similar travel...

Now I just need to find a good deal on the TRD rims...

sbly said:
JI am running 285/75R17 (34.1 x 11.6") Toyo Open Country on the TRD 17" rims.

sbly said:
When the rear tires are fully pushed into the wheel well they do rub against the rear ARB bumper mud flaps.

Have you considered the 285/75R18 size (35"). Not available in the Nitto but is available in the Toyo OC AT. They probably won't last 40k miles but you'll have saved money by not buying those TRD wheels;)

I've also had the TRD Rock Warrior wheels and like them. My only complaint is you need to use the special lug nuts and special socket. Pick up an extra socket just in case. I like the extra 10mm of offset over stock too (+50mm vs +60mm).

hoser said:
I've also had the TRD Rock Warrior wheels and like them.

For an LC200? Are these the same as the "Off Road Forged Wheels"? Never heard the Rock Warrior designation before from TRD...

hoser said:
I like the extra 10mm of offset over stock too (+50mm vs +60mm).

That's a good point...what is the offset of the stock 18's vs. the 17" TRD's?

The XD series rims are only 30mm...right?

These are the TRD forged wheels I was referring to as the Rock Warriors simply because they come stock on the Tundra Rock Warrior Edition trucks. You can find them fairly easy with newish 33" tires on craigslist as a lot of Tundra owners dump them for 20+" wheels.

All the OEM 17x8 and 18x8 alloy wheels I've seen for the 100 & 200 series have had a +60mm offset. These TRD ones 17x8 have a +50mm offset and so will stick out 10mm more than your OEM ones. I don't know about the XD wheels.

163_0809_11z+2009_toyota_tundra+trd_rock_warrior_wheel.jpg

JB,

The Toyo MT's are 34.1 by 11.6 and I think the Nitto AT's are 33.8" by 11.2". I originally ordered the Nitto AT's but there ended up being a problem with the availability.

When brand new the Toyo's lightly rubbed on the passenger side KDSS at full turn to the driver side. They also rubbed on the front mud flaps, but when fully stuffed in the wheel well you could still fit your hand between the tire and wheel well. As for the rear tires, the rub on the rear ARB mud flaps isn't bad but going any bigger and you might have to do some cutting on the ARB bumper. I think I posted two pictures of the tires being fully compressed in my build thread.

By the way are you going to the Overland Expo this year?

sbly

Steve, that same size is available in the Nitto TerraGraplers. How bad is the rub? Enough to worry about and binding or barely touching? What about the upper fender when fully compressed? I assume our shocks have similar travel...

Now I just need to find a good deal on the TRD rims...

JB,

You may (?) just miss hitting the guard on full compression with 35's on. A good bounce and you would eat it.

Main problem is the aft guard/mud flap area (see my photo pre cut) you can't turn more than a few inches before you will tear it to bits (guard and tire). I cut one and a half to two inches out here and it just clears! My offset also helped clear KDSS bits.

JB,

The Toyo MT's are 34.1 by 11.6 and I think the Nitto AT's are 33.8" by 11.2". I originally ordered the Nitto AT's but there ended up being a problem with the availability.

When brand new the Toyo's lightly rubbed on the passenger side KDSS at full turn to the driver side. They also rubbed on the front mud flaps, but when fully stuffed in the wheel well you could still fit your hand between the tire and wheel well. As for the rear tires, the rub on the rear ARB mud flaps isn't bad but going any bigger and you might have to do some cutting on the ARB bumper. I think I posted two pictures of the tires being fully compressed in my build thread.

By the way are you going to the Overland Expo this year?

sbly

Steve,

So are you running the Toyo MT's or AT's?

I just ordered the TRD wheels and Nitto Terra Grapplers in 285/75R17. Hopefully they will fit. Should have them installed next weekend! I was thinking about the Trail Grapplers, however as much highway driving as I do, and having never really had a problem with the Terra's, decided to stick with what I know.

After much thought, while bumping up to 35's was tempting, the wife was not about to approve the cost of that modification (I barely convinced her to allow me to buy the new TRD wheels :bounce:)

JB,

I am running the Toyo MT's but next time around I think I will go with either the Toyo AT's or the Nitto Terra Grapplers in the same size that you are getting (33.8" x 11.2").

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom