Tires for 75 series, 265 or 285??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does anyone have pictures of their rig running 265/75/R16 or 285/75R16 tires, with or without fender flares?

I just got my 16x8 offset-5 wheels with 7x Toyota OEM flares. While I know that 265 would offer better all-around performance, and given that the Troopy is already slow, opting for 285 would further reduce its acceleration. However, I just can't ignore the aesthetics of the 285.

PS: If possible, please include the wheels and tire specs. Thanks

235/85/16

IMG_8479.jpeg

IMG_8489.jpeg

I have 235/85r16s, 16 x7 rims neg 13 solids, on my 1988 troopy.
They are meant to be the most versatile size and close to the the factory split rims.
Skinny tyres don't look as sexy. But for less stress on steering rack (often argued the lc rack can handle wider tyres due to being hd..) when doing hard turns when turning around on fire tracks, greater ability to deflate in sand, less surface contact in mud and a minute amount of better fuel economy. There is good reason why toyota engineers released lc's with skinnies from the factory. It is the most practical size.

There is even some tribute pages on the net for 235/85r16 as the best tyre size, solely.

Unfortunately it is not a common size for manufacturers, 265/75 being much more available., as they are a little cheaper to manufacture. Fashion and cost overides the practical for manufacturers.

They are so close to the factory size, can hardly tell the difference. So no rubbing. Neglible change to odo.

I put dobinsons heavy duty springs which gives more clearance tyre from body (50-65mm lift is how it fell once installed, not aiming at lift) as I often carry bricks and sand to remote. 500kg constant in the rear and I think it was 150kg extra in front. In hindsight I wouldn't use the hd in front as I don't really need a heavy winch and it changes the geometry a little with the front propellor shaft, which I am not over joyed about.

Can put fat tyres on any hair dressers car and it looks good and sexy. But our world is full of bs, middle class vanity and mirror gazing gym muscles which look good but know not a day of practical use.
The fashion is the biggest tyre you can fit at present, much to the dismay of tyre fitters and mechanics. 18 and 20 inch gets big and heavy all day, kind of unnecessary, more rubber, more waste of money.
Like my kids wearing high heal sneakers. I don't care if the 4wd besides me is taller at the lights, I know my troop is one of the most faireddinkum capable, and does it frequently.
troop.jpg

Last edited:
I have 235/85r16s, 16 x7 rims neg 13 solids, on my 1988 troopy.
They are meant to be the most versatile size and close to the the factory split rims.
Skinny tyres don't look as sexy. But for less stress on steering rack (often argued the lc rack can handle wider tyres due to being hd..) when doing hard turns when turning around on fire tracks, greater ability to deflate in sand, less surface contact in mud and a minute amount of better fuel economy. There is good reason why toyota engineers released lc's with skinnies from the factory. It is the most practical size.

There is even some tribute pages on the net for 235/85r16 as the best tyre size, solely.

Unfortunately it is not a common size for manufacturers, 265/75 being much more available., as they are a little cheaper to manufacture. Fashion and cost overides the practical for manufacturers.

They are so close to the factory size, can hardly tell the difference. So no rubbing. Neglible change to odo.

I put dobinsons heavy duty springs which gives more clearance tyre from body (50-65mm lift is how it fell once installed, not aiming at lift) as I often carry bricks and sand to remote. 500kg constant in the rear and I think it was 150kg extra in front. In hindsight I wouldn't use the hd in front as I don't really need a heavy winch and it changes the geomtry a little with the front propellor shaft, which I am not over joyed about.

Can put fat tyres on any hair dressers car and it looks good and sexy. But our world is full of bs, middle class vanity and mirror gazing gym muscles which look good but know not a day of practical use.
The fashion is the biggest tyre you can fit at present, much to the dismay of tyre fitters and mechanics. 18 and 20 inch gets big and heavy all day, kind of unnecessary, more rubber, more waste of money.
Like my kids wearing high heal sneakers. I don't care if the 4wd besides me is taller at the lights, I know my troop is one of the most faireddinkum capable, and does it frequently.View attachment 3490522

I currently have the exact wheel and tire combination on my troopy, and don't get me wrong it's a solid setup that stays close to the factory specs.

However, I'm considering switching to a more aggressive combo because of the flares. As you mentioned, there are downsides such as challenges in mud/snow and impacts on fuel economy. Yet, a wider tire does provide more contact surface when off-roading, especially when aired down. This debate has been ongoing for decades and will likely continue indefinitely.

The key point for me is that I don't necessarily need the largest tire to conform to public fashion, but a slightly wider tire looks awesome with the troopy (at least in my opinion, lol). And when it comes to power, a turbo kit might be in the cards for me down the road.

No worries! we all should do what is right for ourselves. I am happy, never been stuck and best fuel consumption is 8.8l/100km or 26mpg, hwy driving, no stop start ,2100rpm, 90km/h.

I do reckon wider tyres would encourage front factory spring 'clunk' even more.

But it is all a cyclic debate going on for years.

After reading through the posts several times, it seems to me that this is an entirely aesthetic question...and that's fine: no judgement. But there's also no significant debate to be had: no argument, however logical, can ever trump "but I want that one." So...if you want a wider tire, cool: go for it.

hey fireselector,,,

since you already have your 16x8 wheels, i would suggest 265-75,,, its a VERY versatile size, common, easy to get with many options for pricepoints. i know looks plays a big part of why we do what we do, but trust me, 265 is a good size and might surprise you, i run that size on my Tacoma and they never let me down. yeah, i'd like bigger tires on the Taco, but it brings other mods that i just dont want to do.

i dont run the two sizes your considering so i dont know for sure, but considering the offset to run 8" rim i'd guess the 265 wont rub but 285 will.

having said all that, i am a big fan of the 255-85 size on these 70 series rigs, but i did re gear my rig, and it works great for me.

Last edited:
I currently have the exact wheel and tire combination on my troopy, and don't get me wrong it's a solid setup that stays close to the factory specs.

However, I'm considering switching to a more aggressive combo because of the flares. As you mentioned, there are downsides such as challenges in mud/snow and impacts on fuel economy. Yet, a wider tire does provide more contact surface when off-roading, especially when aired down. This debate has been ongoing for decades and will likely continue indefinitely.

The key point for me is that I don't necessarily need the largest tire to conform to public fashion, but a slightly wider tire looks awesome with the troopy (at least in my opinion, lol). And when it comes to power, a turbo kit might be in the cards for me down the road.
Well, about this discussion from a more data driven point of view, let's look at [ ] where Robert Pepper simply measures things. Extensively.

That being said: I'm driving on 235/85R16's with my HZJ78 and I am quite happy with them. This summer we drove some 10.000 km through Skandinavia, the Baltics, Poland and Germany, and I found them to be quite the thing on asphalt, unpaved-with-potholes-and-corrugation, deep gravel, intense rain on all of the above, shallow mud. As for availability of the tyres: they have the reputation of being the best available tyres around the world.
My only 'complaint' is, that my Troopy is a wee bit tail heavy, but that's not really about tyres, now is it? She will have a leaf added and that will put an end to that matter.

The picture, by the way, was taken on an old deserted Soviet missile base in deep Estonia.
This car will get you places :cool:

IMG_8605.JPG

This summer we drove some 10.000 km through Skandinavia, the Baltics, Poland and Germany...

That's a hell of a trip; sounds like it was a good time. 👍

I think the main issue here is that no matter what the data suggests - and we can get any and all of that we want, and show how it proves any claim we wish - we're still at an aesthetic debate; I may be wrong about that, but that's my read of the original post. There are some small and basic concerns about functionality that are present, but this is mostly a looks question. And if that's the case, the most-correct answer is to buy what subjectively looks best. Performance and function are secondary.

And also: that's the most widely-available tire size? I never knew that!

I’ve been running 35x10.5r17 on a diesel for years with no problem and now a gasser 70 series: the gutless 3F.

I will be moving down to 255/85/16 without a doubt. BUT, If I ever get mo’powa I’ll jump back up to 35’s

Haven’t had any issues with this tire in 4 years. I was very skeptical about it because I’m a tire snob but it hasn’t let me down.

Looks solid to me. Only thing I don't like is the load range...but that's just preference.

Also, one additional point insofar as the original question is concerned: unless we're arguing the fine and subjective points of performance - and those weren't the original priorities, by my read - the only data that feels relevant are the limits of what the stock front axle (steering, suspension, whatevs) can handle...and I'm not seeing enough of a difference between 265's and 285's to think that the larger tire will cause undue taxation on the basis of physical size. At most, there is an 8% difference in width and sidewall height, and a 4% difference in diameter or circumference...so as long as the physical clearance around the tire is not being compromised, you could (literally) roll with either.

Also, I might be in the minority with my experiences, but I can't think of too many cases where another 20mm of tread would have made or broken the task at hand. 🤔

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom