Shocks and Springs for 75 series??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does anyone have shock and leaf spring recommendations for HZJ75 with 2-inch (50mm) lift? From my research, most of the modern brands (King, Fox, Ohlins, etc.) do not make shocks for this dinosaur. Has anyone had experience with KYB, Koni, Rancho, etc.? I know Bilstein makes one, but based on my understanding, B6 shocks are just OEM replacements and not designed with lifts in mind.

Please no ARB OME or Dobinsons shocks thanks

Last edited:
Seems odd to me that you would exclude the only two brands that I'm aware of that cater extensively to the 70 series. You did use the word "modern" though; are you implying that OME and Dobinson aren't modern enough? Maybe I'm reading too much into your post.

Seems odd to me that you would exclude the only two brands that I'm aware of that cater extensively to the 70 series. You did use the word "modern" though; are you implying that OME and Dobinson aren't modern enough? Maybe I'm reading too much into your post.
I tried my buddy's OME, and I wasn't a fan of the ride feeling. Sorry for any confusion; I mentioned 'modern' because those shocks are more popular for newer cars, not for their design.

I would imagine Bilstein makes a shock in the correct length, they helped provide a much smoother ride in my 40 with OME springs.

Call @cruiseroutfit they will have or can get you the length necessary for your lift.

You most likely didn't like the OME ride because whoever installed the kit chose the wrong spring weight. I've seen so many 70s on OME HEAVY leafs when they really don't have much weight.

I've found Dobinson at the right spring rate rides the smoothest of any 70 kit. Their shackles are superior to OME as well.
I've found OME at the correct spring rates rides decent as well, but still prefer the Dobinson kit.

There are no "modern" companies making kits for leaf spring land cruisers.

You most likely didn't like the OME ride because whoever installed the kit chose the wrong spring weight. I've seen so many 70s on OME HEAVY leafs when they really don't have much weight.

I've found Dobinson at the right spring rate rides the smoothest of any 70 kit. Their shackles are superior to OME as well.
I've found OME at the correct spring rates rides decent as well, but still prefer the Dobinson kit.

There are no "modern" companies making kits for leaf spring land cruisers.
I believe Dobinson leaf springs are far superior to their shocks. I've heard from many people about Dobinson shocks leaking or breaking, and for me, that's a dealbreaker.

I like Bilstein because of their reliability and performance. Even the B6 series holds up extremely well and rides comfortably compared to other brands on the market. The only problem is that they are not available in the US, and forward shipping from Australia seems expensive for such a large and heavy package.

According to Bilstein.com.au, the P/N for the front is B46 1004LT, and for the rear is BE5 H146. Does anyone know if they are the same shocks for standard heights and a 50mm lift? They are listed on the site with the same part numbers but different SKUs. Does this mean they are two different versions under the same P/N?

I've reached out to them multiple times, but I haven't received any responses. It could be due to the holiday season, or perhaps they're keeping their secrets from the non-Aussies, lol.

I have dobinson springs and shocks, they seem ok for me, they get a good work out lugging and towing bricks on bad roads, 3-4 years now. I like the hollow nut which protects the nipple on the greaseable shackles. I have used ultima shocks too which are a more budget priced shock but, they look identical to dobinsons, absolutely the same besides the sticker.
It is good to get the whole kaboodle in one ship though.

Bilsteins have an excellent rap, I thought they were made in U.S.?! All the merc fans love them too. But shipping from oz to states would be a killer for sure.
A guy wanted me to post a used crankshaft from melbourne to texas, at around $1500 aud for gourmet shipping, I said he may as well fly over.

Bilsteins have been run on a number of peoples 70 series that are here on MUD, but I can't remember who off the top of my head. I think a call to Bilstein US or a good dealer would be your best bet if that is the shock you want to use. Also a search in the 60 series section would give you a very good idea of what you might need.

Radflo makes incredible "modern" adjustable shocks, for springs you could contact Deaver Springs. They do custom ones.

There are also Parabolic springs out there for troopies available from Australia.
There are many people running new Dobinsons springs and shocks in 70 and 60 series that are very happy with them and they seem to be holding up very well.

I have Radflo shocks, OME front springs and OEM rear springs, both with greasable shackles. I think the ride is very nice.

Bilsteins have been run on a number of peoples 70 series that are here on MUD, but I can't remember who off the top of my head. I think a call to Bilstein US or a good dealer would be your best bet if that is the shock you want to use. Also a search in the 60 series section would give you a very good idea of what you might need.

Radflo makes incredible "modern" adjustable shocks, for springs you could contact Deaver Springs. They do custom ones.

There are also Parabolic springs out there for troopies available from Australia.
There are many people running new Dobinsons springs and shocks in 70 and 60 series that are very happy with them and they seem to be holding up very well.

I have Radflo shocks, OME front springs and OEM rear springs, both with greasable shackles. I think the ride is very nice.
I called Bilstein USA a while ago, but no one there had a clue about the 70s. They told me to contact Bilstein UK, but unfortunately, no one there was willing to help either.

Finally, I got a response from a dealer in Aus, and they confirmed the P/N. Now, I'm on the hunt for these shocks from one of the US dealers.

I might try Dobinson springs with the setup, but not their shocks

I have dobinson springs and shocks, they seem ok for me, they get a good work out lugging and towing bricks on bad roads, 3-4 years now. I like the hollow nut which protects the nipple on the greaseable shackles. I have used ultima shocks too which are a more budget priced shock but, they look identical to dobinsons, absolutely the same besides the sticker.
It is good to get the whole kaboodle in one ship though.

Bilsteins have an excellent rap, I thought they were made in U.S.?! All the merc fans love them too. But shipping from oz to states would be a killer for sure.
A guy wanted me to post a used crankshaft from melbourne to texas, at around $1500 aud for gourmet shipping, I said he may as well fly over.
As far as I know, Bilstein is not manufactured in the US, at least not for the 70 series. Air shipping is too costly for such a large package, so I might try combined freight if none of the US dealers carry these shocks.

You might need to get away from the model truck you are looking for, and focus on the weight of the vehicle and lift you want to obtain. Nothing complicated.

You might need to get away from the model truck you are looking for, and focus on the weight of the vehicle and lift you want to obtain. Nothing complicated.
yeah true, I have hzj75 rear springs on my hj75, they are something like 20mm longer but fit fine.

I believe @FJBen and @OGBeno run or have run Bilsteins at some point. I think a search in the 70 series forum would yield something. I have Dobinsons IMS shocks and couldn’t be happier with their quality and US support.

I don’t think of comfort when I think of leaf springs at every corner.

@saltycoconuts is right, I run Bilstein on my 74. Overall it rides pretty nice for a leaf spring. Personally I would like to have rear shocks a little firmer, but it rides pretty good.

Fronts - 33-230368 26.38″ EXTENDED, 16.01″ 360/80 valving
Rears -

Bilstein 5125 series: 33-104652 - 255/70 valving
11" travel
Collapsed Length (IN) - 17.01
Extended Length (IN) - 28

I’d suggest measuring your ride height currently, Becuase honestly I don’t know which lift I have. Pretty sure it’s OME but it was put on in Australia Probabaly 20+ years ago.

From the middle of the hub to the fender here are my measurements.
21.5” front
23.5” rear

Now I need to drop the bump stops in the front just slightly.

I was/am still very tempted to run the IMS but those are double the cost and I’m not sure if it will be double the performance. The rebuildable aspect is very alluring and that’s what separates that price difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom