DIY Aux fuel tank in 75 series Troopy? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

woytovich

Science...
SILVER Star
Threads
I'm looking for people that have created a DIY solution for under body fuel storage in a (24v diesel) 75 series troopy. Mine doesn't have the factory aux tank and I'm not financially able to spring for a Long Range Ameria solution.
I was thinking of mounting a "flat" shaped tank in place of or in front of where an underside spare would go. I would want it to tuck up high enough to not be likely to get hit in the rocks etc.... I'd probably be ok with 16-20 gallons (whatever will fit) Then I'd need to figure out all the other stuff, filling it would be the biggest challenge - I guess cutting and adding a filler, or looking to get a dual filler for the stock location?. A gauge and transfer pump to get fuel from there to the main tank would be a fine solution for the rest.

Anyway: if you have done something like this please post up.

can you afford a new rear tank? or find a used one?
Do you mean a stock rear tank? I have not priced one but I suspect it's way more than I would like to spend. I'm hoping a DIY solution can be, relatively speaking, inexpensive.

fuel tank $389

tertiary line set $110

Mark I would drive up to James Valley's place and hand pick the lines (they sent mine rolled up in TV box) and get the tank with mount arms, skid plate, etc. I also got the 78/79 valve set on bracket for a deal- but their prices seem too high now. The secondary and primary sets I might look at f the price were right.

Filler neck solution will be on you but maybe $600/$700 in parts.

I also got the 78/79 valve set on bracket for a deal- but their prices seem too high now. The secondary and primary sets I might look at f the price were right.
Can you clarify on the above (this is all new to me)

So you will have two tanks, one balance line between tanks, and a feed and return.

So there are two switching valves, one for feed and one for return. (Default is front tank)

Therefore, the back (#3, tertiary) set of lines have three tubes. The balance line runs up frame from filler neck to filler neck. The feed and return in that set jump over to left side on x member forward of shock tube. There the mess comes together with the two valves and the scondary set of tubes.
The primary and secondary only have two tubes.

The filler necks are also different.

There are a series of jumper rubber hoses at the switching valves.

You might be able to assemble another scenario but the rear tubes and tank (and valves if cheaper than from UAE) are a start from cruiserparts.

Those valves at cruiserparts are also 12v and may work. Finding 24v valves will be a chore. Maybe mechanical valve but i have never done that.

Seems pretty complicated. I would really try to find a much simpler solution, maybe just using transfer pump
Plan “B”….
Some older Chevy trucks also had dual tanks and their valve setup may still be available.

Here's a thought

Another

If you go stock, like Rick suggested, you may also need the rear crossmember and mounts. My troopy had the rear tire mounted underneath originally and does not have the mounts for an aux tank.

Snapped these photos a few years ago at a local cruiser shop. I believe this is a later model 79 frame. The rectangular cross piece is the rear support and the backside of the round one has the front support tabs opposite the shock mounts.

IMG_20220718_123716012_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220718_123726303.jpg

Last edited:
If you go stock, like Rick suggested, you may also need the rear crossmember and mounts. My troopy had the rear tire mounted underneath originally and does not have the mounts for an aux tank.

Snapped these photos a few years ago at a local cruiser shop. I believe this is a later model 79 frame. The rectangular cross piece it the rear support and the backside of the round one has the front support tabs opposite the shock mounts.

Mine had the underside tire as well. Regardless of which way i go I'll be fabbing up some mounting point. Thanks for the pictures.

IMG_4935.jpeg

I had a spare tire style frame. Welded in a C channel for rear and could use the mounts on the shock tube to use factory arms.
This was pick up frame but can be done.

I ordered the arms and was given a rear tank and skid plate. Needed the fuel pick up and filler neck (i had a bed w neck provision). Still cost a few dollars to get all together. IF cruiserparts has a good take off tank the sub $400 is a good deal for tank, skid plate, mount arms etc.

To be honest I think I'd like something with a lower profile I think... I don't NEED all of that extra volume (?). I'll have to stew on that for a while. Thanks for the picture.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom